Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ectaco compares JBL and Mini to 5" competition

Here is a matrix Ectaco has created which compares the JBL and the Mini to the PocketBook 360 and the Sony 350.

I didn't know that there is now a leather case available for the Mini.

http://www.jetbookmini.com/comparison/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I'm not sure if this is a real leather
I use the slim case from my jetBook for jetbook mini protection.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... a "Car adapter" and "Travel kit with power plugs for different countries"
For the JBL? How's that work?

"Safety strap for subway/bus reading"?? Where would that go? Don't see anyplace
on the JBL to attach the strap.

Makes you think it would be a good idea if the guys writing up these blurbs could actually
spend some time using the product, before they submitted their copy. It would be nice
if the guy who is approving the copy had a clue as well. Not all Jetbooks are the same.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... a "Car adapter" and "Travel kit with power plugs for different countries"
For the JBL? How's that work?

"Safety strap for subway/bus reading"?? Where would that go? Don't see anyplace
on the JBL to attach the strap.

Makes you think it would be a good idea if the guys writing up these blurbs could actually
spend some time using the product, before they submitted their copy. It would be nice
if the guy who is approving the copy had a clue as well. Not all Jetbooks are the same.

Luck;
Ken
Well technically these guys writing the article are not to blame. If you go to the ectaco website and take a look at the Mini/JBL and check out the accessories available for those models, travel/car adapters do get displayed. So obviously it shows they did some research about the readers, they just didn't think too much about the accessories advertised by ectaco.

BTW, anyone seen the price they are charging for the 1GB SD card with 1000 FREE classics? $99.95US (or $104.95AUD). Wow is all I can say.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would hope that those tasked with writing advertising copy, wouldn't be required to
research the web site for their product information. They should have been given
accurate and extensive product information and their copy should have to be approved
for release by more than just the legal department. The web site designer might be
consulted about how the information is integrated into the site, but the client would be
responsible for the actual copy and it's validity. So "technically" the guys who made that
chart and whoever approved it, are definitely to blame. The chart is Ectaco's.

That is not the price for the SD card, it is for the Mini with the SD card included.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I realize the mini comes with the sd card for $99.95 but if you click on the mini then accessories you will see the sd card on it's own for $99.95.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I realize the mini comes with the sd card for $99.95 but if you click on the mini then accessories you will see the sd card on it's own for $99.95.
yes, but you get this card for free if you buy mini. I think they mean $99.95
value (10 cents for 1 book)
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Wish that etaco would stick to techological comparisons between ereaders. Things like type of and size of screen (I know they covered this one), boot time, amount of memory supported, processor speed (after all this is a biggie).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I would hope that those tasked with writing advertising copy, wouldn't be required to
research the web site for their product information. They should have been given
accurate and extensive product information and their copy should have to be approved
for release by more than just the legal department. The web site designer might be
consulted about how the information is integrated into the site, but the client would be
responsible for the actual copy and it's validity. So "technically" the guys who made that
chart and whoever approved it, are definitely to blame. The chart is Ectaco's.

That is not the price for the SD card, it is for the Mini with the SD card included.

Luck;
Ken
hmmmmm, not sure about the safety strap but it would be a nice addition lol

the travel kit is actually something interesting, i checked it out on their site and its a set of converters so you can charge the jetBook in any country. nice add-on for travelers.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This bit about ghosting on eink is BS. Vizplex and Pearl do not ghost.

Quote:
The jetBook mini specific Calibre converter will allow you to convert virutally every book in your library to txt and fb2 and load it instantly to your device
More BS. Let's see this Calibre convert eBooks with DRM. And why do they need a specific version of Calibre? Basically, when they create a comparison chart, they do such a piss poor job and lie like an SoB.

Quote:
Connect to outlet and wait
The 350 can be read why charging via an AC adapter. So that again is wrong and a lie.

Quote:
Standard Sony interface with folder and book accessibility
It is not a standard Sony interface. It's the new touch interface. And they make no mention of the touch part of the 350. Yet again a lie by omission.

Quote:
Bookmark option available
Way to go leaving out the fact that you do more then bookmarks like notes and highlights

While you are at it, since the Jetbook mini doesn't have a dictionary, let's leave out the fact that the 350 has dictionaries.

Quote:
Cool leather case, earlight for night reading, all size SD Cards with pre-loaded options including Bibles, School Reading Books and more!
And the earlight sure isn't better then the light cover for the 350. No way. I have an earlight and it's overall not wonderful. The light cover is way better then a poor earlight.

These books can be gotten for other readers such as the 350.

So here's Ectaco making another chart that's full of misinformation, omissions, and lies. Their first chart compared the 500 to the Jetbook when the 505 was the current model. And they did the same thing as they did with this chart.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-23-2010 at 10:59 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not that I believe the chart is entirely accurate, or that JB is better, but one can read reports in the Sony forum that the new Sonys DO in fact have slight ghosting issues. I can vouch for myself with my PRS-350 that it does. However, it doesn't bother me at all.

EDIT: If I was buying based on retail price alone, $100 for Mini vs. $180 for Sony, I'd probably buy the Mini. But as it is, since I was able to get a Sony for myself for cheap (essentially $50, with trade-in) and free for my wife (with Sony Card points and trade-in), and free covers for both, I consider that substantially better. My trade-ins were an old EB1150 (value: maybe $30 on eBay, but I sold the included SmartMedia card for that much) and my old broken jetBook (value: $0).

Last edited by Kralik; 12-23-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
im with Kralik on this one.

wen i had the kindle 3 (for literally less than a week before it leaked/cracked) i saw that after reading for a prolonged period of time, ghosting is still an issue.

jswolf, we know ur an avid critic that favors the prs and all sony products, but try another one.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Simply following the post you'll find 57 users that see the ghosting.

BTW, I forgot about the abysmal format support on the Mini. What's up with that?!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
jorlando
jorlando is on a distinguished road

Device: jetbook lite (RIP), Sony PRS-350
There is a place to put a safety strap on JBL, I had one on mine.

If I am not mistaken the slot is on the lower left. It is a very small hole to pass the safety strap cord. I used one of these straps sold for Nintendo Wii controllers.
jorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlando View Post
There is a place to put a safety strap on JBL, I had one on mine.

If I am not mistaken the slot is on the lower left. It is a very small hole to pass the safety strap cord. I used one of these straps sold for Nintendo Wii controllers.
WOW! i never saw that.

awesome awesome awesome, did not expect that but now im considering getting a strap for it.