Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
xception
xception began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Kindle PW3 5.9.6.1 ssh broken pipe leaves broken ssh

Hi I have jailbroken my kindle pw 3 on 5.9.6.1 and set it up with usb network extension
after successful connection, i started exploring and delete some files by "cat"ing them that are left by Calibre and other tools years ago.

But after using cat on some really big files, and possibly contains other than ascii characters,
my terminal prompt says "broken pipe" then disconnected from my kindle.

Ever since then each time I try to connect to my kindle I will see the banner but a blank terminal that cannot be ctrl-c or ctrl-d ctrl-z completely unresponsive

I have tried upgrading from 5.9.4 to 5.9.6.1 and reinstalling by flagging complete

image: https://imgur.com/a/bxZXidu
ssh-log: https://pastebin.com/f2XgJtEY

Any form of help is appreciated at this point.
xception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you know that there is a possibility of non-ascii characters, then why use cat?
Isn't that like aiming at your foot and pulling the trigger to see if the gun is loaded?
I.E: Not your best idea of all time.

Have you tried to telnet in and re-start the shell that you have cat'd to death?

PS: You have your cause and effect reversed: "Broken ssh gives a broken pipe" is the order, although that might not be what you have seen at the remote end.

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2019 at 09:03 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
xception

¯\_(:<)_/¯ well i had no idea that the file would be that huge and non-ascii or probably some kind of binary file.

shell that's dead immediately disconnected, and telnet just hangs:
telnet 192.168.0.43
Trying 192.168.0.43...
(blinking-cursor)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reboot the Kindle.

Then try move (mv) or copy (cp) rather than cat.

Depending on what you want to get done, rsync over ssh might be a better choice.

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
xception

Thanks for the reply but I have rebooted several times, and upgraded the firmware and even reinstall completely, and this doesn't quite work.
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by xception View Post
Thanks for the reply but I have rebooted several times, and upgraded the firmware and even reinstall completely, and this doesn't quite work.
Then you have done more damage that what you admit in your post.
You have over-written something vital.

Which is reasonable in this case.
Since you don't know how to move the content of a file from place to place, it is not surprising that you also do not know what damage you can do by your own choices.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
xception

it s just the ssh its broken, everything else works from kindlet and viewing book and etc.

And only what i done is catting file in /mnt/us directory and rm them if its a year old and if the file is named like calibre_metadata or such
Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
xception

alright problem sovled, i am able to ssh into kindle from my phone using a ssh client but somehow not my computer. So I can feel better now from the fear of being someone incompetent.

Thank you anyway, because your other comment on the other post lead me to another post which just points up the convenience of ssh, so I thought of that I had to try some other way, otherwise I would be so doomed by pulling files with:
plug kindle
mount
cp
umount && eject

Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
xception

● sshd.service - OpenSSH Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sshd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
its my ******* sshd service on my client is cat'd to death

EDIT: nope im completely dumb and wrong, this has nothing to do with making ssh kindle work again.
but restarting my laptop did

Last edited by xception; 01-27-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Tags
ssh