Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #2506
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Does this mean we will be out of a
Spoiler:
unpaid
job?
I do hope so.

Maybe a new generation of Kindle Developers will come along and put us out of our misery.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #2507
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmpr View Post
Had the same problem with one of my kindles. The second one I was trying to jailbreak. It was stuck on tree screen.

I was panicking that I did something wrong. 10min after it got out and finished installing itself. Happened with many of my kindles.

Step 4 of knc1's instructions say clearly:
Quote:
4. After validating the downloaded file, transfer the initial factory image from your computer to your Kindle.
Do not panic if the update is not immediate, it usually takes 10 minutes or longer.
If there is not a very noticeable delay and when you check USB storage the file has disappeared, that means this method will not work on the firmware version currently installed on your Kindle.
It is known to take many minutes on the tree screen. Anyone who is reading this for the future, Don't Panic!

The processor in the kindle is really quite slow. The first set of progress bars show the progress of the linux kernal and the filesystem.

The pause on the tree screen are when it is extracting ( for one example ) and processing the "data.stgz" that is inside the factory packages, and I know this to include the voice data, which is quite large, and quite slow.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #2508
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I do hope so.

Maybe a new generation of Kindle Developers will come along and put us out of our misery.
Part of me is really hoping that they do switch to an android with e-ink screen. if the fire phone had been a success they may have been more likely to do this, but it is still a possibility.

There is a lot of people dedicated to android rooting.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #2509
hackerx
hackerx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White 3
Smile Thank You!

Quote:
Thank you very much, that one worked perfectly and I was able to load it and then move on to adding KUAL. Now I get to move on to picking out which goodies I want loaded on my new toy.
hackerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #2510
nod2121
nod2121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I just bought a Kindle Voyage and completed the the jailbreak. I was wondering if updating the most recent firmware (I believe its 5.8.10) will destroy the jailbreak?
nod2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #2511
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod2121 View Post
I just bought a Kindle Voyage and completed the the jailbreak. I was wondering if updating the most recent firmware (I believe its 5.8.10) will destroy the jailbreak?
Try reading the top post of this thread.

That is the minimum skill required to use the things published here, reading the directions.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #2512
nod2121
nod2121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Try reading the top post of this thread.

That is the minimum skill required to use the things published here, reading the directions.
I read that, just wanted to confirm... :P
On a previous kindle, I updated and it seemed to kill KUAL so I wasn't sure if I just needed to reinstall KUAL or something with the jailbreak itself. Is there anything that needs to be done, on the jailbreak side, once one updates to a newer firmware?
nod2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #2513
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I read that, just wanted to confirm... :P
On a previous kindle, I updated and it seemed to kill KUAL
**SEEMED**
But did not.
Quote:
so I wasn't sure if I just needed to reinstall KUAL or something with the jailbreak itself. Is there anything that needs to be done, on the jailbreak side, once one updates to a newer firmware?
Read the sentence immediately following the one in the introduction that tells you the jb survives the update.

It is in bold face font, just to help you find it.

= = = = =

Look at the blue bar, just above the text of this thread, see the drop-down box labeled "Search Thread" ?
Try using it before posting.
It does not get tired or aggravated at answering questions already answered.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #2514
mickae1
mickae1 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite G090LK
Hi,

I've a paperwhite device, version G090LK ( 32GB ), I would like to know if this tutorial will work to jailbreak this device ?

because, in the first post, knc1 said:

The G090LK, G090LL (Black and White, PW-3, 32GB, Wifi only) models along with the corresponding two Wifi+3G versions are not supported.

And if it's not possible, how can I jailbreak my paperwhite device ?
mickae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #2515
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickae1 View Post
Hi,

I've a paperwhite device, version G090LK ( 32GB ), I would like to know if this tutorial will work to jailbreak this device ?

because, in the first post, knc1 said:

The G090LK, G090LL (Black and White, PW-3, 32GB, Wifi only) models along with the corresponding two Wifi+3G versions are not supported.

And if it's not possible, how can I jailbreak my paperwhite device ?
Not supported means no software jailbreak.

You might try the serial jailbreak but depending on your location, it might be difficult to get the part needed.
Read all instructions carefully. Otherwise you will turn your Paperwhite into a paperweight.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 AM   #2516
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
/chroot folder in jailbroken kindles retaining factory image

Hadn't noticed this before, but...

In both my jailbroken kindles: PW3(G090G1, FW 5.7.4, factory image) and KT3(G000KA, FW 5.8.0, factory image), there's a /chroot folder which seems to be mirroring the /dev, /etc, /lib, /mnt, /proc, /sys, /usr and /var folders. The /mnt folder is , obviously, of interest, since it contains(in /mnt/us) all the stuff which will keep increasing: ebooks, extensions, images, etc. I checked and found all the currently available stuff in /mnt/us is there in /chroot/mnt/us.

Is this /chroot folder a virtual folder? I can't imagine it mirroring more and more stuff from /mnt/us.

I've retained the initial "factory image" after the jailbreak process, since it had some stuff I wanted to keep, which an update would've wiped out.

Maybe other members with PW3s and KT3s who have updated their factory images after jailbreaking, to a customer image, can confirm whether this folder exists for them too? I would guess it doesn't.

In my older PW1(B02416, FW 5.3.6, customer image), I don't see this folder. But then, that was jailbroken using the older method.

Of course, I need to decide what to do about this folder! For which I request our experts' views.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #2517
knc1
Going Viral

Do nothing about the folder, it is part of the system.

It is not 'virtual' it is very real.
But it only occupies some directory nodes in the system vfs, the contents are 'bind' mounts (typical contents of any chroot).

It has been there since early in the 5.x series of firmware.

It has nothing (at this time) to do with our jail break procedure.
It might make a jail break more difficult someday in the future, if Lab126 ever completes implementing whatever their plans are for it.
(It is currently a no-op.)

And since we have adopted the policy of: "No more public lessons given to Lab126", we don't discuss what/how it might be used to our disadvantage.
(or why it is not working as intended since it was introduced)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #2518
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks knc1!
Could you confirm if it still exists on your KT3? I think you have updated to a customer image.
Meanwhile, I'll play around with it. Learn a bit about the mysterious bind mounts maybe!
Curious to see how fast it'll replicate a new file added to the folders it mirrors.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #2519
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Thanks knc1!
Could you confirm if it still exists on your KT3? I think you have updated to a customer image.
Meanwhile, I'll play around with it. Learn a bit about the mysterious bind mounts maybe!
Curious to see how fast it'll replicate a new file added to the folders it mirrors.
It is firmware version dependent.
It is in all firmwares since (IIRC) 5.4.something (might have been 5.6.something).

No replication, no mirroring.
It is just another path to the same file storage.

Hard Links are restricted by both directory entries must be on same filesystem.
'Bind Mounts' do not have that restriction.

your favorite web search engine knows:
linux mount bind

(The Internet was invented to support Linux users. )
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #2520
nasser
Evangelist

Ok. Thanks again.
So it's present on all kindles(starting from a particular FW version), jailbroken or not, factory image or customer image.
I was thinking it might be an artefact of the factory image (post jailbreaking), which disappears after updating to a customer image.