Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Perfect. I feel really inspired to setup a development environment and contribute...

I notice that there is a lot of ghosting.

So can you configure FBReader? And will the battery time be a problem for this version?

I notice that Madshelf does not seem to reconize metainforation in mobipocket files.

How do you "go forward" in madshelf?
Don't know. There's *supposed* to be a faster version which handles the d-pad better and which has more *rational* direction management under both Madshelf *and* FBReader, but right now it is in "compile-it-yourself" versioning and I'm *NOT* enough of a Linux/Linux-development user to even *consider* attempting it. So I'm only showing off the version that *has been* pre-compiled and packaged...

As for 'going forward', just press the 'Left' button. Yes, it's, like, SOOOOOoooo totally counterintuitive, but what can I say, no one listened to *my* suggestion.

Derek
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you change the font size in FBReader? I cannot find any button that do this...
Haven't figured that out yet. But if you notice, there *are* a few bugs in the system still. For example, when loading a .chm ebook (Waitaminit! "Reading" a .chm ebook on a Cybook?!? Say it ain't so! ) you quickly discover that there's no real way to move to the next (in the .chm) page - or go to the Table of Contents or Index. You can only open the *first* file in the .chm. Which is totally unlike FBReader on the PC - but then, on the PC you can use the mouse to click on the "Next" and "Previous" buttons.

Still, Madshelf will recognize the ebook files and FBReader will open them - non-drm'd of course.

Derek
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
As for 'going forward', just press the 'Left' button. Yes, it's, like, SOOOOOoooo totally counterintuitive, but what can I say, no one listened to *my* suggestion.
Yes, I noticed that in FBreader (up went forward also). But how do you go to the next screen in Madshelf?

When I get back from US (flying home tomorrow) I will try to compile it myself. Hopefully there is enough information on the Wiki to be able to do it...
Old 08-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Can you change the font size in FBReader? I cannot find any button that do this...
If there is a spare key to bind to, then all you should need to do is edit ~/.FBReader/options.xml Here is how the GUI-less FBReader 0.8.14 keys are configured by default on the iLiad:

Code:
 <group name="Keys">
    <option name="Action0" value="nextTOCSection"/>
    <option name="Action1" value="redo"/>
    <option name="Action2" value="undo"/>
    <option name="Action3" value="decreaseFont"/>
    <option name="Action4" value="increaseFont"/>
    <option name="Action5" value="cancel"/>
    <option name="Action6" value="rotate"/>
    <option name="Action7" value="cancel"/>
    <option name="Action8" value="toc"/>
    <option name="Action9" value="previousTOCSection"/>
    <option name="Key0" value="&lt;DownArrow&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key1" value="&lt;F1&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key2" value="&lt;F2&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key3" value="&lt;F3&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key4" value="&lt;F4&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key5" value="&lt;F5&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key6" value="&lt;F6&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key7" value="&lt;Home&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key8" value="&lt;Return&gt;"/>
    <option name="Key9" value="&lt;UpArrow&gt;"/>
    <option name="Number" value="10"/>
  </group>
To edit options.xml you need to know the Key values as well as the Action values. On the iLiad, these are easy to find because there is a version of FBReader with a GUI to use as a cheat sheet.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
there's no real way to move to the next (in the .chm) page - or go to the Table of Contents or Index. You can only open the *first* file in the .chm. Which is totally unlike FBReader on the PC - but then, on the PC you can use the mouse to click on the "Next" and "Previous" buttons.
Currently a TOC is not navigable using keys, which is a capability that will need to be added to FBReader if it is to be fully functional on devices without a pointer. It should be possible to go to the next section, though, provided you have a spare key to bind this "action" too. See my previous post on options.xml.
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #21
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Yes, I noticed that in FBreader (up went forward also). But how do you go to the next screen in Madshelf?

When I get back from US (flying home tomorrow) I will try to compile it myself. Hopefully there is enough information on the Wiki to be able to do it...
If there's not enough information on Wiki, you could also read through the irc channel archives at http://irc.openinkpot.org/%23openinkpot/ , there's lots of discussion about technical side of things there.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Currently a TOC is not navigable using keys, which is a capability that will need to be added to FBReader if it is to be fully functional on devices without a pointer. It should be possible to go to the next section, though, provided you have a spare key to bind this "action" too. See my previous post on options.xml.

If you've had any chance to look at a Bookeen Cybook Gen3 in action with a typical mobi ebook, you'll have seen that any hyperlink can be 'highlighted' by pressing the "Left", "Up", "Down" or "Right" buttons on the navigation control. If there are more than one in a displayed page, pressing these keys repeatedly move up ("Left" and "Up") or down ("Down" or "Right") the links on the page. (Note that if one is already on the "last" or "first" link and one keeps pressing "Down" ( last link) or "Up" (first link) one goes to the next page. If a link is highlighted and one presses the central button of the navigation control, the link is "clicked".

Unfortunately, FBReader, while displaying them as underlined text, ignores the links. Or, rather, it does so on the Cybook.

***Added****

Oh! I get it! I'd need to dedicate a key or key combo to the idea of "Next" and "Previous"! Too bad I'm a user not a hacker.

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 08-24-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #23
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Tought I would give it a try

I followed the instructions for using this on my reader:
1. Copy update_kernel, reloaded.o, initrd.igz and zImage files from
this archive to a card.

2. Copy rootfs file to the internal memory - Copied this to the system folder on the book reader

Booting
-----------------

1. Shut the device off.
2. Disable card write protection if you have rootfs on it.
3. Turn the device on and hold the 'center' button until the green LED
blinks.
4. After a long time, Madself will show up.

Did all the above, after the main Bookeen logo came up the led flashed on then off so I released the button and the a blank screen came up, the LED remained on and I waited a long time but nothing loaded.

Any idea where I went wrong?

I also tried following the suggestion of copying rootfs to the second partition on the reader by re sizing the existing 500mb partition and adding a 100mb partition. Unfortunately when it booted I ended up with a checkered display on the screen. Well something else to fix now :-(

I am running Book reader version 1.1 build 708 on a Bookeen Book reader with 500mb so is one of the later models.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just put the rootfs file in the top director of the SD card and it worked perfectly. You should probably put in in the top of the internal card. But I have an old Cybook.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
CJBarrow
Book worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBarrow View Post
I also tried following the suggestion of copying rootfs to the second partition on the reader by re sizing the existing 500mb partition and adding a 100mb partition. Unfortunately when it booted I ended up with a checkered display on the screen. Well something else to fix now :-(
Luckily I backed up my files before re sizing the partition, found when I connected to my laptop (Linux) that the main partition would not mount. Simple to fix, just re formated and copied the saved files across. Got me worried for a moment ;-)
Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBarrow View Post
Luckily I backed up my files before re sizing the partition, found when I connected to my laptop (Linux) that the main partition would not mount. Simple to fix, just re formated and copied the saved files across. Got me worried for a moment ;-)
Yep. *NOT* a good thing to put rootfs into it's own partition on the Cybook. For speed, put it in the root folder of the main partition (I'd remake it to one partition, not two.) and for room (if you've got a 64MB device) leave it on the root of the SD card.

Derek
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
CJBarrow
Book worm

Quote:
I just put the rootfs file in the top director of the SD card and it worked perfectly. You should probably put in in the top of the internal card. But I have an old Cybook.
It works!!!!!!!

Madshelf displays 3 folders, Music, Pictures and eBooks, it also displayes the other files on the SD card such as zImage, update_kernal, rootfs etc

I also noticed that the LED stays lit.

With my mobi pocket books it displays three files, .mbp, .prc and .t2b

When I open a mobipocket file it takes while to load and the result is just rubish text, however re starting Madshelf enabled me to open a MobiPocket book ok, just need to find out how to turn off Auto Hyphenations.

Only managed to exit a book once back to the book shelf, think I did it by using the power button, did not work a second time though and had to do a reset.

Still very early days yet, look forward to trying out the next build

Last edited by CJBarrow; 08-27-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

The power button is escape so it should exit a book or go up one level in the directory structure.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #29
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
If you've had any chance to look at a Bookeen Cybook Gen3 in action with a typical mobi ebook, you'll have seen that any hyperlink can be 'highlighted' by pressing the "Left", "Up", "Down" or "Right" buttons on the navigation control.
It's not exactly the behaviour of the Bookeen Cybook :
- with the Up and Down key, you move from link to link or from page to page if there is no link on the current page
- with the Left and Right buttons you move from page to page, even if there are some links displayed on the page
This difference is pretty important, because you don't have to go through all the links in a TOC to go to the second page of the TOC.

As a side note, this project looks very interesting, especially the part where you don't have to flash the Cybook to use OpenInkPot.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #30
Pilgrym
Pilgrym began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I notice that there is a lot of ghosting.
The ghosting seems to be only in Madshelf. Not in FBReader.
Works well for this early version!

Pilgrym