Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fctools View Post
So Kubrick doesn't work on the latest firmware? And what does AFAIR mean? Afraid I'm a bit of a NOOB at this, worse for me.
Hint: Read the title of the Kubrick thread and, if your info block is up to date, see if you can find PW2 in the title.

As far as I recall, you will have to google AFAIR.

- - - - -

What do you see over the serial port while the Kindle starts up?

**IF** lab126 has fixed a long standing bug in the "erase all" command, you might still have u-boot installed.

Otherwise: Advertise it on e-bay as PW2 spare parts.

Last edited by knc1; 04-22-2015 at 01:28 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #47
fctools
Enthusiast
fctools began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Aug 05 2014 - 04:37:39)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Temperature: 44 C, calibration data 0x59e5265f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
uart clock : 80000000Hz
cspi clock : 60000000Hz
ahb clock : 132000000Hz
axi clock : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock : 198000000Hz
MMC: FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
Board: Pinot WFO
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: 0272XXXXXXXXXX
S/N: 9017XXXXXXXXXXXX
I2C: ready
DRAM: 256 MB
Using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0xfff0000
POST done in 59 ms
Battery voltage: 3788 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
Here's the boot log. Uboot does seem to be working I can run commands from it. I'm going to try to follow the instructions provided here. https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by fctools; 04-28-2015 at 06:32 PM.
fctools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's the boot log. Uboot does seem to be working I can run commands from it. I'm going to try to follow the instructions provided here. https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Those images are for a PW1 !!

Hold foot up, aim carefully, pull trigger, see what happens.

- - - -

Wrong model Kindle, wrong model SoC, wrong model cpu, ah ...
are you getting the picture yet?

- - - -

When you did the "erase all" it most likely also erased the device and user specific data which resides **outside** of the file system and outside of the partitioned area.

If you don't have a copy of that data area, you will still be SOL.

Translation: It is still good as spare parts.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #49
fctools
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you don't have a copy of that data area, you will still be SOL.
Afraid I don't. I did say I'm a NOOB at this is there any way of getting another image? The place I referenced before seems to have kernel images. ?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #50
fctools
Enthusiast

Also is there any chance of sweet talking Amazon into reflashing it? Anybody have any experience?
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Afraid I don't. I did say I'm a NOOB at this is there any way of getting another image? The place I referenced before seems to have kernel images. ?
Then the device will probably be useless after you restore what you erased (unless lab126 fixed the bug in "erase all").

Is this a PW2?
If so, then:
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

Start by reading the README.txt file.
Then read the threads that the readme.txt file points to.

Yes - you do need (both) kernel images and (both) partition images.
The Kindles are "dual boot" devices (two operating systems).
Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Also is there any chance of sweet talking Amazon into reflashing it? Anybody have any experience?
You're funny.

Amazon has been known to replace stuff, which is more economic than fixing them on an individual basis but I question whether you can get a replacement after completely erasing the flash chip, which indicates you Meddled.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #53
fctools
Enthusiast

I know, I'm grasping at straws. I mean come on your supposed to be the Optimist can't you say anything brighter than that?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the other hand, if you tell them it "broke", they may very well replace it. They might not bother to check what is wrong with it before binning it. (They definitely aren't spending a lot of time, at most they will try to turn it on....)
Seems a bit shady to do that...
Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #55
fctools
Enthusiast

I know I prefer fixing my own problems if possible.
Do you have any instructions on how to flash the images via fastboot? From my reading that seems to be the way to go but I can't find anything on exactly how to do it. I do have putty installed on a Linuxmint 17.1 system.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Get in via the serial port, flash the diags partition and kernel via fastboot (contained in the Kubrick LiveCD) and then use SSH to flash the main partition and kernel from the diags system.

Of course, since the extra data outside the partitions was erased, you can never get that back, which makes the device... less useful. I suppose it could work just without a serial number and registration info and stuff, but the loss might stop the Kindle from booting at all. I don't know, I've never tried it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-22-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Well, we will see if Lab126 ever fixed their "erase all" bug - -

As part of "erase all" - the command re-writes u-boot with the u-boot image executing the command
AND
is (or was) intended to save and then restore that device and owner specific data.

I.E: If the device has a serial number after the ixtab (4) images are used, then the "erase all" command has been fixed.

If not - -
Then buy a used PW2 (look for one that works but has a broken screen) -

Then you have a choice -
Put your screen in the broken one -
or
Copy the device data from the broken one into yours.
Then discard the broken one - if two devices hit the 'net with the same "private" information - Amazon's system will black list the pair of them. Ask Twobob, it happened to him.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #58
fctools
Enthusiast

Talking

Whoohoo! I did it! using Geekmaster's fasboot thread from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929 and the fastboot program for linux from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1331834773. But I can't get Kual to start yet and I'm afraid to sync it until I get backdoor lock installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated & thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Whoohoo! I did it! using Geekmaster's fasboot thread from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929 and the fastboot program for linux from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1331834773. But I can't get Kual to start yet and I'm afraid to sync it until I get backdoor lock installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated & thanks for the help guys.
OK, so far - - -
Now go to the settings page and see if you have a reasonable looking serial number. (Don't post the entire number - just tell us)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #60
fctools
Enthusiast

Yeah, as matter of fact I changed the serial # back to the one I posted before because the number changed and I was afraid of having someone else's.