Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #26611
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I probably said this already but cant find my posts lol. Seveneves I am 2/3 threw and its a great book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #26612
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another quick read: "Killing Floor", by Lee Child; the first book in the "Jack Reacher" series. My first encounter with this author, and an enjoyable read. I generally consider it a bad idea when British authors write books set in the US, or vice versa, but this British author seems to have written a book which (to my British eyes, at least) feels authentically American (not that I'm in any position to judge, of course). I'd be interested to know if Americans think he does a good job?

The only "British-ism" I did notice is that, several times in the story, reference is made to a "mobile phone" (British), rather than a "cell phone" (American).
Actually if Lee Child is over 45, or the story is set in the 1980's, mobile phone would be the correct term even for an American.
Cell phones didn't come in until the late 1990's. Before that only certain people had mobile phones attached to their cars.
Of course in the 1970s some people had radio phones in their cars. Typically in the trunk (boot) due to the size. I think those have been replaced by satellite phones since there are even today, many areas without cell service. (I live in oilfield country.)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #26613
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Reading an anthology of dragon stories, Dreamtime Dragon Anthology edited by Nils Visser. Some really good stuff in this one!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #26614
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just started reading a new author for me, LJ Ross. The first book in the DCI Ryan series is Holy Island. Looks promising, but early days yet. Not an author I knew, she hasn't gotten much play in North America, but showed up on my Kindle Unlimited in my UK account, so I thought I'd give them a try.
I started out really liking this, but got more than a little put off by all the cult stuff in it. Ultimately, I gave it 3 stars, but with an asterisk. I'm going to try the second in the series, Sycamore Gap, since I can read it for free with KU, and there is an inexpensive WhisperSync option as well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #26615
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished the Heart memoir. Now set to read Andy Weir's new book, Artemis.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #26616
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
"Killing Floor" stands out for me because of that first chapter. The first published words of a new author and I rate it one of the best beginnings I've ever read.
Totally agree
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #26617
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Just finished Black Holes and Baby Universes by Stephen Hawking. A collection of physics essays he wrote over the period 1976 to 1992, The book concludes with the transcript of a Desert Island Discs radio program on which he appeared. This is a peculiarly British institution in which the guest is asked to imagine himself or herself cast away on a desert island and is invited to choose eight records with which to while away the time until rescued. As always, very interesting.

Next up, The Complete Yes Minister by Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay. The transcipt of famouse BBC TV serial Yes Minister, one of my most favourite shows.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #26618
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another quick read: "Killing Floor", by Lee Child; the first book in the "Jack Reacher" series. My first encounter with this author, and an enjoyable read. I generally consider it a bad idea when British authors write books set in the US, or vice versa, but this British author seems to have written a book which (to my British eyes, at least) feels authentically American (not that I'm in any position to judge, of course). I'd be interested to know if Americans think he does a good job?

The only "British-ism" I did notice is that, several times in the story, reference is made to a "mobile phone" (British), rather than a "cell phone" (American).
I've considered "mobile phone" and "cell phone" synonymous for as long as I can recall, but feel more at home with the term "mobile phone". Maybe I watch too many BBC shows.

FWIW, Superman's boss had a mobile phone in his car as far back as the early 50s.

Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perry White's car phone brightened - The Evil Three season episode 19 aired 01 23 1953.png
Views:	143
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	160256
The Adventures of Superman, season episode 19: "The Evil Three" (first aired January 23, 1953).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #26619
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've considered "mobile phone" and "cell phone" synonymous for as long as I can recall, but feel more at home with the term "mobile phone". Maybe I watch too many BBC shows.
Thanks, Tom, I stand corrected. I'd always (wrongly) believed that Americans always used the expression "cell phone" - I now know better .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #26620
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finished The Goblin Trilogy, which was a fun and different look into goblin society and its interactions with humans. I rated it three out of five stars. Full Goodreads review here.

Next up is some historical fiction -- From Here to Eternity (the restored version). I'm not sure what is included in this version that was left out before, but so far it is an interesting read.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #26621
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Artemis by Andy Weir. Pretty awesome.

Nest is Oddjobs 2: This time it's Personnel by Heide Goody and Iain Grant. Should be a quick read, but I am confident it will be as entertaining as the first.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #26622
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
On now to Anthony Horowitz's Magpie Murders. The concept is interesting - an editor is reading a murder mystery manuscript and begins to suspect the author of real-life murder. The book-within-a-book structure is hard to pull off credibly, but in the first 50 pages or so Horowitz is doing it nicely.
Finished this last night. Did rather enjoy it. The ending wrapped just a bit too neatly, but it was to be expected. The book was somewhat of a love song to golden age mysteries, while at the same time a critique thereof.

Whilst doing some cleaning up today, listened to Kelly Link's Hugo Award Winning Novellette The Faery Handbag. It was featured a few weeks ago on PRI's Selected Shorts podcast.

Now on to Sylvie and Bruno, as that seems to be the apparent winner of the book club vote this month.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #26623
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Currently reading Midnight Line by Lee Child. As usual I don't want it to end.
Me neither, very good classic Lee Child book.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #26624
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

FWIW, Superman's boss had a mobile phone in his car as far back as the early 50s.

I would say that "mobile phone" and "cell phone" are interchangable to me (east coast, US). We do use the shorter term "cell", and not "mobile" ( which I noticed in The Girl Who Takes an Eye For an Eye)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #26625
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Me neither, very good classic Lee Child book.
Agreed. It's funny, with many books I'm frequently looking at the percentage complete to see how far I am through the book, hoping for it to be passing quickly, even if I'm enjoying the book. With Lee Child and a very select few other authors it's the opposite.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote