Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 AM   #26536
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I finally found a copy of The Dinosaur Lords used on Amazon for a price I was willing to pay. Looking forward to trying this one.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #26537
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Since Halloween is coming up, I am finally reading Brom Stoker's Dracula. It is also a book I've had in my to-be-read (TBR) collection for years.

I also decided to quit checking the deals section and focus on the ~150 TBR books I collected over the years. I've bought or picked up freebies to include Biographies, Classics, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, History non-fiction, Historical Fiction, Mysteries, Thrillers, a Western, and a few Christian non-fiction and fiction books.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #26538
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I started Richard Lloyd Parry's Ghosts of the Tsunami: Death and Life in Japan’s Disaster Zone. I found myself devouring it. Last year, Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye: A Journey was in my top ten of the year, and I think this will be as well. Mockett's book focused more on Shinto and Zen priests and their work, but both are stunning accounts of how the Japanese people grieve.

From the description:

Quote:
Richard Lloyd Parry, an award-winning foreign correspondent, lived through the earthquake in Tokyo, and spent six years reporting from the disaster zone. There he encountered stories of ghosts and hauntings. He met a priest who performed exorcisms on people possessed by the spirits of the dead. And he found himself drawn back again and again to a village which had suffered the greatest loss of all, a community tormented by unbearable mysteries of its own.

What really happened to the local children as they waited in the school playground in the moments before the tsunami? Why did their teachers not evacuate them to safety? And why was the unbearable truth being so stubbornly covered up?

Ghosts of the Tsunami is a classic of literary non-fiction, a heart-breaking and intimate account of an epic tragedy, told through the personal accounts of those who lived through it. It tells the story of how a nation faced a catastrophe, and the bleak struggle to find consolation in the ruins.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #26539
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished listening to A Closed and Common Orbit; and while I am waiting for the next HP audiobook to show at the library, I am listening to Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

Oh, and Fellowship of the Ring just showed up at the library for me to listen to, so that will likely be queued up next.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #26540
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Third Pig Detective Agency by Bob Burke. I bought this one back in 2009. Time to read it at last!
Well, it was OK. But not well enough thought out for my liking. Not a series I'll be getting any more in.

Then I read The Hermit of Eyton Forest by Ellis Peters. Another enjoyable and quick read in her Brother Cadfael series.

And now: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. Just bought, as it's on offer for just £1.19 in the Amazon UK November sale.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #26541
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished John Sandford’s latest, Deep Freeze and it was a typically great Sandford read. Next up the new Michael Connelly book, Two Kinds of Truth.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #26542
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan. I'm really enjoying this YA series. There are only a couple left and that makes me sad. Rated C+ [3 stars].

Now I'm reading Rebellion's Message by Michael Jecks available on Hoopla.

Last edited by Fbone; 11-01-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #26543
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
...I have embarked on all 50+ hours of the Rob Inglis version of The Lord of the Rings...
Last day of frantic packing, but I just finished this!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #26544
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil by Tom Mueller. very interesting and kind of depressing...

Anyway, I am now reading The Dragons of Nova by Elise Kova.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #26545
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Last day of frantic packing, but I just finished this!
I would think this would be good for listening to while packing. Certainly packing is the sort of mindless activity I can't do without _something_ to listen to. Though actually, I think my days of packing are done. If we ever leave this house, it will likely be to an assisted living apartment. And I'll simply pay someone to pack what matters, and throw out the rest. (Well, actually, take most of it to the Share Shed. We're frugal up here -- why pay dumping fees when someone else might actually have a use for it.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #26546
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil by Tom Mueller. very interesting and kind of depressing...

Anyway, I am now reading The Dragons of Nova by Elise Kova.

Did he name names? I've seen several lists online of virgins that aren't.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 AM   #26547
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading the latest Department Q novel, The Scarred Woman, by Jussi Adler-Olsen. I'm almost halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. Due to a busy week and a bit of a reading funk I'm not going fast, but I should be able to finish it on Sunday.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #26548
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Recently read: Hillary Clinton What Happened, Katy Tur Unbelievable and Kurt Andersen Fantasyland.

Currently reading: Colson Whitehead The Underground Railroad.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #26549
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Currently reading: Colson Whitehead The Underground Railroad.
I'm curious what you think about this book and the author's liberties with history.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #26550
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Did he name names? I've seen several lists online of virgins that aren't.
He did, and there is an appendix of sorts for finding quality oil. It still seems like the only way to be sure is to find a grower and cozy up to them and/or grow and press your own.

Finished listening to Sharp Objects, just in time for the next HP audiobook to show at the library. Buut... I'm ready to hit the road now and don't want to spend ten-fifteen minute getting the book onto the USB drive in the car, so I will either listen to music on the drive or start The Girl With all the Gifts by M. R. Carey.