Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
meemai
meemai began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h20
A good pdf to epub, or a good way to read a pdf on e-reader

Yo,

I have been trying to get a pdf converted to Epub, not just the file but also that the pdf, looks a bit better on the e-reader or well readable, now I need a magnifying glass to read them... I got a kobo. Now before you all start jumping on me, making me walk the plank let me explain what I have tried so far.

I tried the program K2 pdf, the problem with this fella is, he makes and produces good pdf files fit to read with a e-reader, the downside the filesize becomes so big it take my e-reader about a minute or so to load up. Not mentioning it takes a lot of space 100 megabyes sometimes and that the quality is so so, you can run it trough calibre, to get better quality but still it takes ages to load.

Now there is the whole koreader ordeal with firmware settings I messed with. This was somewhat of a decent way to read pdf's, but I unistalled it as I did not like having to resort to using different firmware and messing with the innards of the firmware of my kobo-reader.

I also tried copying the text of a pdf and posting it in word, but the text is all messed up.

So I am wondering if there is a genius, a man that has seen the light that knows how to get a pdf file to epub or keep the pdf, pdf but readable. I am at my wits end, the best option seems to be koreader, but I really dislike it since it messes with the firmware and all..

I thank you for your time and understanding.

Last edited by meemai; 11-01-2015 at 03:19 PM.
meemai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best way to convert a PDF to ePub is to use a decent OCR program like Abbyy Finereader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you read the sticky in this forum: Read this before Posting PDF Questions

Some good advice there.
Bottom line -- it will take Work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Doesn't Kobo handle native PDF?

RMSDK should

Now How good are the results, is a different story. If it looks very bad, then IT WILL NOT be a simple convert. Lots of hand edits will be needed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
meemai
meemai began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Best way to convert a PDF to ePub is to use a decent OCR program like Abbyy Finereader.
Thanks this worked like a charm! Thanks a lot! Your a hero!

Last edited by meemai; 11-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.
meemai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're very welcome .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Koreader does not "mess with the firmware".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote