Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
Pocketbook 360 slow: larger library on SD

Hi,

I've been using the Pocketbook 360 for a while now.. and I decided to put more books (most of them are epub, some pdf) on my 8GB SD-card.. (which I've been using since I bought PB360).

Is it normal for the 360 to slow down (a lot) when browsing or (especially) when 'searching' for books (by typing part of the name)?
Or is there any way to speed this up? (Sometimes it's too slow.. and I have to reboot). Different firmware? Using Calibre instead of the File system../by hand. Or is this normal ..?

I tried deviding the large groups of books into smaller groups/folders.. but this didn't really help.

Reading ebooks didn't slow down btw ('flipping of pages').

Thank you in advance,
crangirl

Last edited by crangirl; 11-07-2011 at 05:22 AM.
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't own a 360, so take my question with some caveat: Do you use your Pocketbook in library mode or in folder mode? Folder mode should be better to handle large collections.

And are you often adding and deleting books? Than it may be that there are some "rests" in the internal database and you could try cleaning the library (don't know if this function exists on your reader and how it is named). But this will delete all book links like last page read and so on too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The PB360 doesn't have a library mode, just folders (and favorites).
Yes, searches do get slower as the number of books grows, because it looks at the entire folder structure before reporting.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
there is one other possiblity, if you have added / deleted / added books its entierly possible that your SD card needs to be defragmented.

Just like any other storage device you could have fragmented files.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
crangirl
Connoisseur

I'll try to defragment it later.. hope it works.
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
there is one other possiblity, if you have added / deleted / added books its entierly possible that your SD card needs to be defragmented.

Just like any other storage device you could have fragmented files.
Flash memory is not "just like any other storage device". Most SD cards use wear leveling to remap sections of updated files to other locations without any visibility to the filesystem level. Defragmenting operations on such devices increases fragmentation. Flash memory does not have the seeking latency of rotating media, which is what defragmenting tries to address.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
crangirl
Connoisseur

O.. ok. I haven't defragmented it yet.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Most SD cards use wear leveling to remap sections of updated files to other locations without any visibility to the filesystem level.
Wear leveling requires a rather complicated logic, SSDs do that with their built in controller chips, but SD cards don't have such a thing - SD cards are just cheap and dumb storage devices really.

Even so fragmentation is unlikely to be an issue.

Very few people have thousands of ebooks. Most ereaders are not optimized to handle huge libraries gracefully. Personally I only put the books I actually read on the device, so while the entire Gutenberg / public domain collection is nice to have, it'd probably just get in the way on the reader...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Wear leveling requires a rather complicated logic, SSDs do that with their built in controller chips, but SD cards don't have such a thing - SD cards are just cheap and dumb storage devices really.
From "SanDisk Secure Digital Card"
Product Manual
Version 1.9
Document No. 80-13-00169
December 2003

Quote:
1.5.5. Wear Leveling
Wear-leveling is an intrinsic part of the Erase Pooling functionality of SD using NAND memory.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
When you say you've put more books on it, how many are we talking about? I have over 2000 books (they're actually HMTL files, but are as large as books) and I've never experienced it being what I'd call slow, and I'm incredibly impatient.

Having said that, I have my folders organised in such a way that I rarely have to use the search feature. On the few occasions I have used it, it has not been slow at all.

I hope you figure out your problem soon.

Another thought, do you have a high class card? Different cards read at different speeds. I've got a Class 4, 4gb card (can't remember the brand at the minute).
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote