Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle For Adobe InDesign

I came across a book, The G Ring, published today by Amazon Original Stories that contains some new KFX (Enhanced Typesetting) internal coding that I had never seen before. It uses new capabilities to place images on a page, similar to that available in the Kindle in Motion books.

I looked at the internal metadata for the book and it was produced by KindleForAdobeInDesign-0.982, which is interesting since the current version of that plugin available for download from Amazon is v0.973.

My best guess is that a new version of that plugin will be coming soon that adds Kindle image display capabilities that are not available in documents sourced any other way.

Added: Of course Amazon might keep the new capabilities to themselves instead as they did with whatever tools were used to author Kindle in Motion books.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-28-2020 at 04:07 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the pointer. Weirdly, the book is free to Prime subscribers, though it wasn't in the monthly Prime Reads giveaways in recent months (at least I didn't notice it).

The imprint is "Amazon Original Stories". I've not seen that before. It's shown as Number One Best Seller in Reproductive Medicine & Technology. I love the way freebies can be best-SELLERS.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I love the way freebies can be best-SELLERS.
It's dishonest. Also the Dark UI tricks of "sign up to Prime" big button and small link to continue checkout. That's been stopped (allegedly) to UK addresses. Or Free or cheap pricing in BIG text for Prime and a small link for real non-subscription price.
Subscription sales volume, INCLUDED free in subscription, really free and actual ordinary sales should be counted separately. Only non-free and non-subscription counts for actual real best sellers, which need to be aggregated over a fortnight or a month, not a shorter period.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Can we please not let another useful thread devolve into pointless and offtopic Amazon bashing? This is about a potentially new Indesign plugin with new features. Kindly create your own anti-amazon topics instead of commandeering everyone else's for your own purpose.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-01-2020 at 07:27 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I found a few more recently published Amazon Original Stories that include these special KFX layout features.

At this point it seems most likely to me that this is something that Amazon is keeping to themselves to add some extra touches to their own published books.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
How that is even legal? I mean, in US you have all this laws against monopoly or is it another too big to fail case? Well, what do I know?
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's perfectly legal.
You rent Indesign and write your own plugin?
It's not a monopoly.
Any formatting advantage is tiny.
No-one is forced to rent Indesign, either. There are plenty of good ways to create an ePub2 and ePub2 uploads to KDP work better than from docx or Kindle create.

Amazon are perfectly entitled to create their own titles in any manner they want.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Hold your horses man. I have no horse in this race. Just askin'.

(I love these old western idioms )
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post

Yer entitled to yer opinions, pilgrim.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-slang/

The insults page is great; "he was so ugly he had to sneak up on a dipper to get a drink of water," but they don't have my favorite one, "he was so ugly he'd scare the hungry dogs off a meat truck," theirs is a variation on it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote