Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
increase
Connoisseur
increase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
epub popup footnote background color

Can the popup have a different background color?
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
Can the popup have a different background color?
Depends on the renderer and your CSS. Generally, I dislike backgrounds since most of my ereading is done on eInk displays. Grey on grey is not a good recipe for legibility.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: add a smiley for Jon
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray.
For some people, a colored background can be hard to read. So the rule is don't do it because you could be causing problems for some of your readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray
With eInk, you get either 8 or 16 shades of gray. What are the chances that converting as an example, blue text on a yellow background to a 16 level gray scale is going to use shades of gray that have sufficient contrast to be easily readable? BTW, that is a real example from one ebook I recently read.

I never did finish 50 Shades of Grey. Just not my cuppa despite several friends highly recommending it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some ereaders have a night mode where it's white text on a black background (or maybe it's ereader software on tablets and phones). A footnote with a background color probably won't come out correctly in that situation.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IMO ereaders should have an option to present notes as 'footnotes' - i.e. at the bottom of the screen, preferably in a smaller font - like the calibre viewer once did Ψ³

If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I never did finish 50 Shades of Grey. Just not my cuppa . . .
- too much sugar in it for me.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-15-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

For what I can see, the same note on an ePub3 can today be displayed differently
- as a pop-up note (Calibre viewer)
- as an in-page note (Koreader)
- as a "classic" note (- converted- with Prince PDF)

I do not know yet of any option on any device/sofware that could let the user choose between the first two. It would certainly be great. Some books make use both of informative footnotes and , say, bibliographical endnotes, which could justify a diiferent rendering.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I didn't know that.

I've shied away from KOReader- mainly that I 'want' something that's like a paper book - in the sense that it just works. The thought of adding stuff to an e-reader goes against the grain; well, my grain at least :lol:

But I'll have a look at it on my android phone.

Do I have a book with note-links and bibliography-links, not sure I do - one would hope they'd be distinguishable - but how I wonder.

BR
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Here

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...page-footnotes
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
That's glorious. I didn't know about this functionality either.

Quote:
I do not know yet of any option on any device/sofware that could let the user choose between the first two. It would certainly be great. Some books make use both of informative footnotes and , say, bibliographical endnotes, which could justify a diiferent rendering.
I always think back to the in-depth footnotes discussion from back in 2014, "Pop-up notes for iPad" (especially Posts #47+, between Paterson+me).

I haven't really seen much work done at all since then, besides more readers implementing popup footnotes via heuristics (Amazon/Kindle, Calibre).

Ultimately, like we discussed in that topic, it would be nice to be able to choose between all different renderings.

And on a semi-related note:

I only just noticed that Calibre Editor's Tools > Reports > Links added a little preview at the bottom!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.Editor.Preview.in.Links.Report.png
Views:	222
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	177189

You click on a link, and can see a preview of what the link actually points to.

Absolutely fantastic, and I wonder when this was added.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-16-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
... Ultimately, like we discussed in that topic, it would be nice to be able to choose between all different renderings.
I just want what I want, bugger the rest of you

For some unbeknown reason my brain barfs on having a zillion options on a handheld device, don't like those Leatherman gadgets either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
... I only just noticed that Calibre Editor's Tools > Reports > Links added a little preview at the bottom!

You click on a link, and can see a preview of what the link actually points to.

Absolutely fantastic, and I wonder when this was added.
I think it's been there since the calibre editor was first released, its definitely there in 2.85. It's what I'd like to have in the calbre-viewer and an ereader. I've noticed it does not need sup tags wrapped around the note number - not even in version 4 Ψ³

BR