Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #31
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
12 books a year is the average reader in US. So at least you haven't fallen below average!
Really. Then I've been doing pretty good.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:45 AM   #32
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I've cautiously fixed my goal at 7 books since they all will be chunkters.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #33
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
2019 was the first year that I didn't set a goal. It's amazing how relaxed I was in the last two weeks of the year. Even in years where I met my goal weeks before the end of the year, I still felt stressed to see HOW MANY books I could complete before the ball dropped.

So in 2020, I'm going to do the same. My primary reading goal will be to avoid purchasing books by taking advantage of the 6 library cards and Overdrive accounts that I have. I also want to read a classic or two as well as whittling away on the Newbery award books.

Even though I don't have a goal/target in terms of number of books or pages, I will still keep records. In 2019, I read 148 books with a total of 46,669 pages. I also read 9 novellas/novelettes with a total of 422 pages. I only read one dead tree book in 2019 and 9 others were audiobooks. Of the 148 books and short works, 138 of them were borrows.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I didn't reach my 2019 Goodreads Challenge of 25 books

I'll try to do better in 2020.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #35
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Kind of a dumb question as I'm finally actually getting into goodreads this year, but it looks like they count books started last year but finished this year in the challenge. I'm gonna have a few of those. Do people also count those in their mobileread challenge? I hadn't when I made my number for this year but I can adjust (or just plan on overshooting, which I had kind of hoped to do anyway).
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think it's up to you.

I personally count books when I finish them for most things so I do count books I started last year if I finish them this year. In the end it is generally a wash - the start of the year gets a bonus, the end of the year loses out.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think it's up to you.

I personally count books when I finish them for most things so I do count books I started last year if I finish them this year. In the end it is generally a wash - the start of the year gets a bonus, the end of the year loses out.
Dazrin has this spot on - the challenge is your challenge, so you decide how to handle things like books being read over the year end.

But if you want to hear what other people do, I also count books when I finish them, so in this year's total (2020) I have one book I started reading at the end of December 2019.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #38
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Awesome, thank you!
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #39
Apsalar
Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

My love of all things "list" has gotten the better of me! I don't appear to have contributed enough posts to this forum overall to be able to edit my original challenge post yet!

Well - I've started the year off pretty strongly. I've already finished one book, which I started on the 2nd. I've even managed to last 4 days without breaking my challenge of not buying anything new. A whole four so far!

To reference the above discussion... I'll be counting books I started last year! I can pick up a book, get halfway through it, and then go weeks, or even months, without touching it again. If I've read part of it in 2020, then it counts as a 2020 book.
Apsalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalar View Post
My love of all things "list" has gotten the better of me! I don't appear to have contributed enough posts to this forum overall to be able to edit my original challenge post yet!
I've taken a look, and I think you should be able to edit posts now.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 AM   #41
Apsalar
Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've taken a look, and I think you should be able to edit posts now.
Oh - you're a dear!
Apsalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I always hate this moment and it happens at the beginning of every year; my Goodreads counter shows me as behind in my reading goal. I've still got holiday company (leaving tomorrow) and I've not got much reading at all done for the last three weeks (when the first of my company showed up). I will catch up, but oh, the reproach implied!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #43
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I always hate this moment and it happens at the beginning of every year; my Goodreads counter shows me as behind in my reading goal. I've still got holiday company (leaving tomorrow) and I've not got much reading at all done for the last three weeks (when the first of my company showed up). I will catch up, but oh, the reproach implied!
I always start with something small just to get something up there. I read A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind in just over an hour, but Goodreads isn't berating me now.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #44
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How are we all starting off 2020?

I am determined to reach my goals this year as I fell far short in 2019. I am starting off strong with 21 books down approximately 70 left to go. If I keep up this pace I should be able to break the goal posts.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How are we all starting off 2020?

I am determined to reach my goals this year as I fell far short in 2019. I am starting off strong with 21 books down approximately 70 left to go. If I keep up this pace I should be able to break the goal posts.

21 books in 8 days?! Wow.

I am doing OK, I just need to watch my ebook buying.