Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
An external keyboard is the solution here as well: Safari has tons of keyboard shortcuts including one for Search.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I'm sorry in advance for not bringing anything to this conversation, but I feel I have to say it before I blow - iOS 13 is the most Craptastic iOS Apple has ever released. iOS 11 feels incredibly great by comparison.

Most every Apple apps are broken in a way or another. I've had (annoying) bugs and crashes with Reminders, Notes, Mail & Music only to name those.

It's funny in a way, considering iOS 12 was Apple's way to "appologize" for the shortcomings of iOS 11 and then they do something way worse with iOS 13...

Ah well. I'm done venting.

Last edited by Squirsier; 09-25-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typos, as usual..
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Some tips if you are going to use the mouse support:
1. This is an accessibility option that is just emulating touch input. always keep that in mind!
2. Setting the right mouse button to "long press" will help replicate the traditional functionality for the most part.
3. If you have spare buttons on your mouse, I recommend using the "add more buttons" option to set one of them to bring up the dock.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, I guess I'm just lucky since I haven't had any issues with IOS 13. So far, no crashes.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
My ipad got ipados installed; Calibre Companion got updated as part of the process!

Had to reload my books.....BUT anyone know how the "file sharing" really works? File Explorer cannot find/show the CC folder for books; Files show the folder but with a switch which I 'turned on'.

Problem, select Files to take a look at the CC book folder & got a dialogue that says it could not connect with the "helper".

"is file sharing" only for stuff on icloud & not on the ipad? Is there a real file manager for ipados? Is "file sharing" for external devices??
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot get calibre companion to work in Files app, and get the same issue as you do. Even before iOS 13 it was not working with Files; it did work at one point, but probably not for many months. The app has not been updated since Sep 14, 2017, so that’s that, until the developer fixes it.

Just turn it off in Files so it doesn’t show up there, and use it directly.

All my other ‘Locations’ are working fine.

And yes, Files will let you manage external storage as well as local, network and cloud storage.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #22
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Any way to force Safari to NOT use the desktop website? In other words default to a mobile website. I much preferred Safari in iOS 12.x to the garbage I’m seeing in iPadOS 13.1. Websites like CNN.com are ridiculous with their huge ads at the top. That makes it difficult to read on a 9.7” screen. It also takes a lot longer to load them.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Any way to force Safari to NOT use the desktop website? In other words default to a mobile website. I much preferred Safari in iOS 12.x to the garbage I’m seeing in iPadOS 13.1. Websites like CNN.com are ridiculous with their huge ads at the top. That makes it difficult to read on a 9.7” screen. It also takes a lot longer to load them.
Look in Settings app for Safari settings. Is Request Desktop Website toggled to All Websites? If so, try turning it off. On my Mini, it is off. On my Pro 12.9, it was on. Default seems to vary depending on screen size. Guessing default for 9.7 is on?
Old 09-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #24
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Look in Settings app for Safari settings. Is Request Desktop Website toggled to All Websites? If so, try turning it off. On my Mini, it is off. On my Pro 12.9, it was on. Default seems to vary depending on screen size. Guessing default for 9.7 is on?
Yep I already set that to OFF, but it didn’t help. I was hoping there was away to actually force the mobile site when I need too.

I’m having other random issues with Safari this evening too. Sites that were working fine are now screwed up. Login on one is failing and the site is displaying incorrectly.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I haven’t had (or cannot remember) any issues with Safari but I only visit about a dozen websites with regularity. I use Firefox for the few (like mobileread) I park on. It has explicit ‘request desktop site’ option. But I use Safari for everything else.

Used to be ‘best practice’ to have ‘m’ sites (‘m.cnn.com’) but doubt that’s true any more; they’re supposed to be ‘responsive’.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #26
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I’m pretty sure this isn’t right. Never saw that booboo before. It finally went back to normal after I rotated it a few times.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19A88739-42F8-4589-97A6-9B3386F073D4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	173708  
Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #27
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I’m pretty sure this isn’t right. Never saw that booboo before. It finally went back to normal after I rotated it a few times.

Lol, I actually got that bug a few times in iOS 12. It's just something that has yet to be patched.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #28
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I haven’t had (or cannot remember) any issues with Safari but I only visit about a dozen websites with regularity. I use Firefox for the few (like mobileread) I park on. It has explicit ‘request desktop site’ option. But I use Safari for everything else.

Used to be ‘best practice’ to have ‘m’ sites (‘m.cnn.com’) but doubt that’s true any more; they’re supposed to be ‘responsive’.
Through experimenting I found you can press the AA icon on the left side of the address bar to bring up a menu with a few items including Request Mobile Website and Website Settings. In Website Settings you can turn OFF Request Desktop Website for that website. Hopefully these will help. Many websites have way too many ads which mess up the website in the browser by expanding or otherwise being annoying.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Through experimenting I found you can press the AA icon on the left side of the address bar to bring up a menu with a few items including Request Mobile Website and Website Settings. In Website Settings you can turn OFF Request Desktop Website for that website. Hopefully these will help. Many websites have way too many ads which mess up the website in the browser by expanding or otherwise being annoying.
Nice! Thought that was only for Reader View...
Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #30
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Nice! Thought that was only for Reader View...
Apple has added quite a few pop up menus like this which are a nice touch. I’m discovering new stuff everyday.