Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
trianglekitty
Enthusiast
trianglekitty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Organizing folders on the Nook

First, I apologize for any dumb questions I'm about to ask. I'm a rank newbie and have only had my Nook Simple Touch for a few months.

I understand that Calibre organizes by metadata, not file folders. That's all well and good and I understand the advantages of having books in more than one category, but I don't look at my books or files in Calibre.

So far documents I transfer from Calibre to the Nook show up in my files--books--author

However, I have so many files from various sources that the author name does me no good whatsoever. I want to be able to organize it by files---books-source or genre. Sub folders would be even better, like files--books--source--genre or whatnot.

Is there any way to do this? Right now my Nook is more or less useless because it takes too long for me to find what I'm looking for. I want so badly to love it more than I do! Any help would be fantastic.

If there is no way to alter the file folders on the Nook itself, is there a way to search by genre or other metadata/tags on the Nook?

Last edited by trianglekitty; 06-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
trianglekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
There is no search built into the Nook. I sort mine by author, and use the Shelf Option. Each author has it's own shelf. If the author has a series, that that series has it's own shelf too. James Patterson has a shelf for the series, Women's Murder Club, plus one for the Alex Cross Series, and another for Maximum Ride.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
There is a search feature but it only searches in the title or the author.

What you want is to use the My Files section of the Nook which allows you to use a directory structure. You could use the Shelves option but the Nook has a nasty habit of removing any sideloaded books (ie books you added yourself and didn't buy from B&N) from the shelves if you don't disconnect properly from your computer.

To find the My Files on your Nook when you're in Library mode just underneath LIBRARY you'll see a box that probably says BOOKS or ALL. Touch that and then select My Files. Then select NOOK Files or Memory Card on the right hand side of the screen if you have a memory card.

The best way to take advantage of this using Calibre is to use Custom Columns and a customized template in the Send To Device section of Preferences. I have three custom columns - Library, Genre1 and Genre2. The Library column is because I have a Non-Fiction library, a Fiction library, and a Fanfiction library. Genre1 is for main genres such as Science Fiction, Fantasy, History, or a Fandom ie Harry Potter. Genre2 is for more specialized genres such as Space Opera, Urban Fantasy, Military - Civil War, Alternate Universe, etc. In Preferences|Sending Books to Device|Save Template I put the following: {#library}/{#genre1}/{#genre2}/{series}/{series_index:>2} - {title} - {author} This template will give me the following results:
Fiction/Science Fiction/Dragons/Pern/01 - Dragonsdawn - Anne McCaffrey
Non-Fiction/Biography/Military/SEAL Team Six - Howard E. Wasdin
Fanfiction/Harry Potter/AU/Raising Harry/01 - Living La Vida Muggle - Aramie.Greyson

Using this method makes it very easy to sort thru my books to find what I'm looking for and is much better than the Shelves method because I can have as many sub-directories as I want whereas the Shelves are all single level.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote