Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
idab420
Banned
idab420 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Can't enable USBnetworking in diags Paperwhite 3 5.12.4

I rooted my Kindle Paperwhite 3 on 5.12.1 then updated to 5.12.4

When entering the diag menu I can see the option for enabling USBnetworking under utilities but when I select it nothing happens.

I am trying to downgrade to 9.6.5 for kpvbooklet

EDIT: fastboot is working fine, I can't flash the system and kernel partitions with fastboot though correct?
idab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You can not transfer the "main" system image (too big).
You can transfer the "diags" system image and either or both kernels.

Have you transferred the USB networking utilities to your "diags" partition?
Just because the menu has an entry does not mean that it is functional.

Are you sure that KPVbooklet will work on the firmware version you are intending to install?
It seems to me that KPVbooklet (which is long unsupported) died versions earlier.

Please do not double post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
idab420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can not transfer the "main" system image (too big).
You can transfer the "diags" system image and either or both kernels.

Have you transferred the USB networking utilities to your "diags" partition?
Just because the menu has an entry does not mean that it is functional.

Are you sure that KPVbooklet will work on the firmware version you are intending to install?
It seems to me that KPVbooklet (which is long unsupported) died versions earlier.

Please do not double post.
What usb networking utilities do I transfer to my diags partition? and how?

I will be trying 5.6.5 which is documented as supported by kpvbooklet on the pw3.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You won't have working USBNet in diags on a production device without the Rescue Pack being installed first.

----

While KPVBooklet may be slightly less broken than on current FWs, I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused various minor or not so minor glitches during KOReader usage...
It's unmaintained, which also means it's unsupported, so, expect to be told to use KUAL if you encounter any of these.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
idab420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You won't have working USBNet in diags on a production device without the Rescue Pack being installed first.

----

While KPVBooklet may be slightly less broken than on current FWs, I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused various minor or not so minor glitches during KOReader usage...
It's unmaintained, which also means it's unsupported, so, expect to be told to use KUAL if you encounter any of these.
Yes I installed both rescue packs. Is it possible it no longer enables SSH over USB anymore?

Also, I tried to change the pcbsn and bricked the device.

It no longer goes into fastboot or detected by PC.

It just says diags exit, please use serial port with the tree pic

I can hold the power button and the led blinks 6 times but screen flashes only once instead of twice like for fastboot.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Possible, yes. Unlikely, though. Can't tell without a PW3 diags image.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote