Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
curiosity
Enthusiast
curiosity doesn't littercuriosity doesn't litter

Device: prs600
Getting rid of some . fullstops

Hey G'day folks,

Have something that's been bothering me for a while.

How would I go about washing current authors I have in Calibre that are named differently..

eg I have 3 different naming conventions that have somehow crept into my dbase.

A.A. Attanasio
A A. Attanasio
A A Attanasio (this is the format I want no full stops)

So when I save to disk I should have just a single Author folder name with the exception of multiple authors.

Author First name Surname

With the above I of course get 3 folders which I don't want. My brain is just not finding the problem. I would like to wash all of my authors in Calibre and get rid of all the offending . full stops and have them replaced with a space.

Also can I add price as a custom column? I have trolled the forum and see that some people do have price as a custom column but no code as to how too?

Cheers in advance for assistance.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
The Quality Check Plugin will do this (after you configure the setting)
1) Right click the PI Icon: Customize: <set the author initial format> (1 time only)
2) run the PI. Check Metadata: check author initials. This identifies all the books that fail your setting
3a)Select the ones that need fixing ( Ctrl-A if done following step 2 )
3b) run the PI: FIX: Author initials
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
...and then after you have your library "clean" you may find that a couple of new additions run afoul of your desired pattern. When it's only an occasional author that needs fixing it is easier to use the Tag Browser by:
  1. Display the Tag Browser (use the View button in the lower right of the main window) and navigate to the particular author entry that needs fixing.
  2. Right-click (or Alt-click) on the entry that needs fixing and choose "Rename ..."
  3. Type the corrected name and then press Enter.
calibre will no merge the books using the old incorrect name with those using your "correct" form.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote