Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Tried sending AZW3 version from Calibre to Kindle

I converted several ebooks to AZW3 (from Mobi, AZW, AZW1 and epub) and then sent them to my Kindle Paperwhite from Calibre on my laptop (using Send Specific Format option). None of them showed up on the Kindle.

I tried just choosing send to Kindle without specifying format, and they now show up on the Kindle.

I think AZW3 is supposed to be the best format, so that is why I convert all of my ebook to that format, and try sending them to the Kindle in that format.

However, I still seem to see bad formatting in the ebooks on my Kindle (spacing, page breaks, formatting).
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where did this eBooks come from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
G I G O
Calibre can sometimes fix code syntax, but Content is way past its limits.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
G I G O
Calibre can sometimes fix code syntax, but Content is way past its limits.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't want content change, am trying to convert format.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did this eBooks come from?
How does the source relate to my specific question?
Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post

I think AZW3 is supposed to be the best format, so that is why I convert all of my ebook to that format, and try sending them to the Kindle in that format.

However, I still seem to see bad formatting in the ebooks on my Kindle (spacing, page breaks, formatting).
Converting to azw3 (or to anything else, for that matter) doesn't magically fix bad formatting. There are options you can check for conversion (removing spaces between paragraphs, for example), but the only sure way to fix formatting is doing it yourself, in the editor.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I don't want content change, am trying to convert format.
Then why are you wasting time and effort complaining about that which you don't want changed?????

Sirtel sums it (GIGO) up. A clean Mobi is CLEAN. Bad formatting, usually stays bad. Sometimes Calibre Conversion fixes typos, that cause code fails.

Making it into AZW3 only offers the ABILITY to ADD features that Mobi can not do (and those are quite a few since Mobi was very simple). THOSE do not appear (become used) by magic just because it is now AZW3. YOU need to make compatible changes during conversion or by using the Editor and inserting the codes.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Minus your snarky first sentence, thanks for the information you provided.

Last edited by ChipAHoy; 03-13-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ChipAHoy, install the epubcheck plugin for the Calibre editor. Use it to check for error in your ePub. Fix them and then convert.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The editors 'debug' (ladybug), works very well. It has a 'try and fix', but I prefer to follow the links on the right to the trouble spot or pick the suggested fix from the list for the highlighted error.

OTOH there are a few places where only Human eyes and knowledge will com up with the PROPER FIX. Missing closing Tags can be a real pain to find where the REALLY belong in a nested block
Old 03-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The editors 'debug' (ladybug), works very well. It has a 'try and fix', but I prefer to follow the links on the right to the trouble spot or pick the suggested fix from the list for the highlighted error.

OTOH there are a few places where only Human eyes and knowledge will com up with the PROPER FIX. Missing closing Tags can be a real pain to find where the REALLY belong in a nested block
The book is not fixed unless epubcheck says it is. So that means installing the epubcheck plugin if it's not already installed. I do use both checks to make sure the book is structurally sound.