Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
DalekVoid
DalekVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Could this be the OTA update file?

I have just got my Kindle PaperWhite 2 thanks to my aunt. However it is on FW 5.6.5. Following the GUIDE I have located a large file inside the device. Could this be the OTA file? Then what can I do with it to recover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 9.04.35 PM.png
Views:	270
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	141513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 9.12.02 PM.png
Views:	240
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	141514  

Last edited by DalekVoid; 08-30-2015 at 09:13 AM.
DalekVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekVoid View Post
I have just got my Kindle PaperWhite 2 thanks to my aunt. However it is on FW 5.6.5. Following the GUIDE I have located a large file inside the device. Could this be the OTA file? Then what can I do with it to recover?
Yes it is.
And those views (finally) give us the information needed to fix the Backdoor lock.

Question: is the leading '#' your recovery tool's way of marking a deleted file?
(Usually '_' is used)

Hmm...
I suppose we could control all *DATE.{TMP, BIN} files.
Until we know for sure.

= = =

What can you do?
Add a serial port connection to the console, operator's port.
UNLESS the device had been jail broken before the update to 5.6.5
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
DalekVoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes it is.
And those views (finally) give us the information needed to fix the Backdoor lock.

Question: is the leading '#' your recovery tool's way of marking a deleted file?
(Usually '_' is used)

Hmm...
I suppose we could control all *DATE.{TMP, BIN} files.
Until we know for sure.

= = =

What can you do?
Add a serial port connection to the console, operator's port.
UNLESS the device had been jail broken before the update to 5.6.5
Thank you so much. I guess jailbreaking with physical modification is beyond my ability at the moment.

I was using EaseUS Recovery on Mac, so I guess it is the recovery tool's way. BTW, I have no idea which FW it was upgraded from.

Anyway, since I have already extracted this file, I guess uploading it for you guys could help the development right?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekVoid View Post
- - - -
Anyway, since I have already extracted this file, I guess uploading it for you guys could help the development right?
It might -
Post it somewhere I can get it and PM me the link.
I'll grab it and add it to our collection of stuff.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
DalekVoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It might -
Post it somewhere I can get it and PM the link.
I'll grab it and add it to our collection of stuff.
No problem : )

I will do it in a few days, uploading via ADSL
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: that looks like the initial factory update, rather than a true OTA, not sure it'll be much help to BDL.

Getting a look at it will definitely settle the matter though .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote