Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #31
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
*leans back in the seat* Ok I just placed my pre-order for a Kindle and am now part of the group (do I get like a membership badge and hat?)

Question on the pre-order (I am in Aus btw). I ordered the Kindle, cover and AC charger, and I have different dates for shipping for each item (the AC charger is apparently shipping today). I understand Amazon will charge me individually for each device at time of shipping, but what about the freight? Do they just split the freight equally for each item and charge that portion when each item ships? Do they charge full freight upfront on shipment of the initial item?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #32
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tis ok people, Amazon charged me for the charger just now and I see on the invoice how the did the shipping (split equal).

Now, about my badge and hat......
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #33
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Tis ok people, Amazon charged me for the charger just now and I see on the invoice how the did the shipping (split equal).

Now, about my badge and hat......
Yip, split between shipments.
My additional charger arrived today. Now waiting patiently for my new Kindle and cover
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #34
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Thank you for writing about the splitting of shipments. Now that's something I'd rather avoid, above all with all the taxes connected (I thought about doing a "definitive" order with cover and charger, but I can get them elsewhere, like Amazon.co.uk or eBay sellers, without having, say, the charger loitering about).

By the way: is the charger the same as the one for the K2?
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #35
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Can a Blackberry micro USB charger be used to charge the new Kindle?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #36
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I thought I would be strong.
That I would wait long.
Till the device was released.
That I would wait, till I read the reviews.
But alas, I broke down.

And ordered a K3G with 3G. ETA unknown.
(omg K3G was a short form for a Hindi movie quite a long time ago )
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #37
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I'm really hoping there isn't anything proprietary in the Amazon wall socket

According to the specs the cable is Micro USB (micro-B connector) for connection to the kindle and a standard Type A for connection to the PC or poweradapter.

The Sony PRS-600 had a gotcha with USB charging in that it didn't begin charging before it had a connection to a PC (Although charging also works from my Nintendo Wii usb-port). Now the Sony PRS-600 has a seperate connection point for wall-socket, but the Kindle doesn't have that ... it simply plugs the supplied USB-cable into the wall socket (And I somehow doubt they put a computer in the wall-socket just to make it inoperable with alternative products).

I think it is *very likely* that your charger will work, because it has the exact same Type A connection which the Amazon Kindle uses.

(But I haven't actually tried it, because it isn't released yet)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #38
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Not 100% sure yet but I ordered one anyways (arrived today). Assuming that it would be the same because the charger is shown as an additional option when pre-ordering the K3. Doubt Amazon would show it there if it wasn't compatible... (or so I hope).
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #39
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
More than likely no, but I'll compare the voltages and amps on the two (BB and K2 that is) when I get home tonight
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #40
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
I thought I would be strong.
That I would wait long.
Till the device was released.
That I would wait, till I read the reviews.
But alas, I broke down.

And ordered a K3G with 3G. ETA unknown.
(omg K3G was a short form for a Hindi movie quite a long time ago )
Ha ha - now enjoy your sleepless nights until it arrives
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #41
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
More than likely no, but I'll compare the voltages and amps on the two (BB and K2 that is) when I get home tonight
I look forward to your test, because the kindle wi-fi only ships with a U.S. socket (So I'll need to use a 3rd party USB wall socket for that option)

I read somewhere that the kindle 1 cannot charge with only 500mA (Which is the standard without being recognized/configred by a computer), but that the Kindle 2 can do that just fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #42
tovare
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
I look forward to your test, because the kindle wi-fi only ships with a U.S. socket (So I'll need to use a 3rd party USB wall socket for that option)

I read somewhere that the kindle 1 cannot charge with only 500mA (Which is the standard without being recognized/configred by a computer), but that the Kindle 2 can do that just fine.
Bummer. My Bad

KINDLE USER’S GUIDE Chapter 1 • 37
Note that if your Kindle is plugged into a low powered USB port such as those found on some keyboards or older computers, you will not derive enough power to recharge it.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #43
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I have ordered a Kindle 3 through amazon.co.uk. They sell a USB charger with an end that will plug into a UK wall socket. I prefer a standard European end. I have Blackberry chargers that go into wall sockets and they come with a choice of European, UK and US ends. I also charge the Blackberry by USB connection into a computer. Incidentally, Blackberry make a fuss about having a genuine Blackberry USB cable but I find a generic one at a much lower price works just as well as long as I don't connect via a hub.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #44
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
BB charger with micro USB should work - I am using mine from an old HP Messenger that has the same plug. It works fine on my Kindle 2i and the plug is the same on the K3 AFAIK
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #45
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I believe so, Amazon only have power adapters and advertise them for the Kindle and Kindle DX (the different power adapters to choose from is for your country).