read the book afraid to the do the reset as seems to be still turned on
would be so very glad of advise
thank you so much
Freda
win45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome and sorry that you are having a problem. I sometimes save problem solving threads and had the below three threads that list the same type problem and their resolution. I hope that one of these can help.

First thing that has usually been mentioned is that you have your Reader fully charged (preferably using a wall (mains) charger that plugs into your Reader's round connector. A PSP charger is cheap and works well.

Please let us know what happens.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43987

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49735

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27063

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamimelon View Post
My prs505 got bricked (stuck on "starting up..." page), when I tried to flash Chinese font into the internal memory. When the reader was connected to the USB, I can see the three "Removable Disk" with 0 capacity, which can not be formatted or recognized by the updater. The "soft reset 10 times" method did not work for me. But I have finally got it unbricked using the following method:

1. Press the pinhole on the back panel(do not exercise the power switch ).
2. Connect the reader to USB. The reader will still show "starting up...", BUT the light beside the power switch turn red and the computer can read the internal memory of the reader now.
3. Format the internal memory using FAT.
4. Unconnect the reader and exercise the power switch to soft reset it.

This is how I got my prs505 unbricked. Hope this will be of some use to some other people...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
win45
win45 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
thank you

will try these things so glad someone kind enough to answer
will go to town tomorrow and buy a proper charger not the usb on laptop
not many ebooks over here very new so very glad of advise
best wishes freda
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
win45

still turned on

can i try this reset as my ebook reader wont turn off and none of the buttons on the menu will work as this is the only page comes up
thanks again
freda
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have never had any problems with my 505 (I've had it over a year now), but I found some more information for you to check. I hope it helps.

This is a very helpful link that MR members are currently putting together. It discusses the reset.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Troubleshooting_Guide#Resetting_the_de vice

Also troubleshooting the 505..

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505#Trouble_Shooting:

Also, from our Sony Forum stickies, the resets by Patricia....https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
A few people have been a bit confused about doing a soft or hard reset on their readers when they freeze, or otherwise misbehave. As a consequence, they have been plunging paperclips and other pointed objects into every orifice or aperture that the Reader possesses. This does not lead to happy results.

Here are a couple of hints:

Re-charging
1. If your Reader freezes, the first thing to try is a long recharge. This is also the thing to try if the battery meter seems to drain too quickly. (It sometimes takes several charge cycles before the battery bars display accurately. And I have found that several short recharges often lead to inaccurate battery displays. A long mains recharge puts this right.)

Recharging via a mains charger is essential if a PRS500 has become completely drained or frozen, and is often more reliable with the PRS505.
If you have a PRS500 it came with a mains charger. The PRS505 doesn't. But, in both cases, a Sony PSP charger works too (borrow one from a teenager). Plug it in, connect to the reader and check that the little red charging light comes on. Then leave it for several hours, preferably overnight.
In many cases this has solved the problem entirely.

Reset
2. If your Reader is still frozen then you will have to try a soft reset. If that doesn't work then try a hard reset. These both involve prodding a straightened paperclip (or similar) into the hole on the back of the Reader. Remove the cover. Turn the Reader over. There is a very small hole. It is labelled 'reset' in very tiny letters. Do not stick the paperclip anywhere else. And before trying a reset, read the instructions.

Reset Instructions
can be found on the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Portable_Reader

Or you may consult the manual (which should appear in your ebook/Connect library).

I hope this helps.
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
My Sony 600 has had these types of freezes a number of times - in fact I think it happens with most e-ink devices.

Don't be afraid to do a reset - it's not going to harm your reader. And if you don't reset, how will it fix itself? Once you've done the reset, you'll find it easier to do the next time.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site. I hope everything works out OK for your reader.

Dreams...once again you prove to be one of the most helpful people I know on these forums.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Freda and welcome to MobileRead. Although I'm an American, as you can see by me last name, my roots are in Ulster (Donegal).

Anyway, the South Dublin Library lends out eBooks which you can download on the Internet. Check them out here http://digitallibrary.southdublin.ie...en/Default.htm
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
win45

thank you so much never knew that
best wishes freda
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
win45

505 stuck

thank you for all the help
and handy thread links was unable to get a sony adaptor even agros who had one at £25 was out of stock all over Nr Ireland so had to send to England for one will take a few days
got it on with the reset and have restored defaults deleted all on it so will see how it goes
it was great to know other people had heard of this problem as not many people have heard of the readers yet over here
thank you again
Freda
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Yea!! I'm glad we were able to help. Below is the information from the MR Wiki's Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide on borrowing library ebooks.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Troubleshooting_Guide#Borrowing_librar y_books
Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR, Freda! Glad the reset worked for you (I've had to do it a couple of times too - it's really nervewracking the first time - after that it's easier!)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. Glad the reset worked for you. Stick around for any other questions you may have.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
win45

thank you in the few shops here ebooks are much the same price as normal book
perhaps if get more popular will get more reasonable is it the same in the states
best wishes freda
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
win45

hi am Mrs Freda
best wishes