Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #31
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Got it! First page had me hooked.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A couple of years ago, I read From the Land of Green Ghosts: A Burmese Odyssey, by Pascal Khoo Thwe. A memoir set in modern Burma (Myanmar), it won a literary prize.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Issybird, it sounds like a worthwhile read, but there doesn't seem to be a legitimate ebook available. Pity.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Issybird, it sounds like a worthwhile read, but there doesn't seem to be a legitimate ebook available. Pity.
Sorry! I thought I read an ebook, but I was obviously mistaken.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #35
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Hi, Issybird. I got it as DTB and will read it before I go. On the way to me as a second hand hardback for the - gasp- sum of £3.71.
Advert
Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #36
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

If anyone is still interested, this is what I ended up putting on my Kindle and reading to date. I'm in Moscow at the moment, next train is the trans Mongolian to Beijing.
Read before leaving
In the land of green ghosts by Pascal Khoo Thwe
Lonely planet Myanmar
Lonely planet trans Siberian railway
The Lady and the Generals and The Lady and the Peacock by Peter Popham
Wrath in Burma by F Eldridge
The house I loved by Tatiana de Rosnay
How to shit around the world by J Wilson Howarth
The Piper on the mountain by Ellis Peters
The road to Mandalay by B M Croker

Read on the journey to date
A country in the moon by Michael Moran
Nothing to envy Real lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick. A bit off track, but excellent

Reading now

Blood, Iron, and Gold. How the railways transformed the world by Christian Wilmar
Murder on the trans Siberian Express by Stuart M Kaminsky

TBR on the trip
Which, btw, has grown to two months

Why Buddhism is true by Robert Wright. Second time through
Various works by Rudyard Kipling, including a reread of Kim
Burmese days by George Orwell (another reread)
The Bangkok writers by Danny Speight
The English governess at the Siamese Court by Anna Leowens.
Imperial Warriors: Britain and the Gurkas by Terry Gould
In the land of white death by Valerian Albanov
Second Hand time by Svetlana Alexievich
Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Riding the Iron Rooster by Paul Theroux
Tent life in Siberia by George Kennan
Words of Mercury by Patrick Leigh Fermor
The Quiet American by Graham Greene
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Quest for Kim by Peter Hopkirk
The Tiger by John Vaillant
The narrow road to the deep North by Richard Flanagan.

Should keep me occupied. I do have a blog if anyone is interested and if it's acceptable to post the link.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #37
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Great list!

I read Dispatches 40 years ago. I thought then that it was amazing, and some bits have stuck in my mind ever since. Since I'm currently watching Ken Burn's take on the Vietnam war, it's a good time to e-read. Thanks so much for the reminder.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post

Should keep me occupied. I do have a blog if anyone is interested and if it's acceptable to post the link.
Wonderful list! I've read several with great enjoyment and several are new to me and I must look into them.

Why not post a link to your blog in your signature? Easily accessible and always present. Otherwise, it has to go in the Blog thread in the Self-Promotion forum. Or both, of course.

Happy trails!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #39
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Issybird, that was an inspired thought. There it is....
I've now finished in the Land of White Death. Amazing
Master and Margarita, which I wasn't so keen on. Maybe I will try again when I can concentrate more. Next up, Riding the Iron Rooster