Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Coding headings in color

Hi,

Can anyone give me tips on how to code only the chapter titles (heading 1) in a different color?

I'm a bit of a CSS dud (learning!) so I don't know much. Have been testing out a few things but always wind up with the entire text in the same color.

Thanks in advance!

Alda
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In your CSS file add:

h1 { color: red }

or:

h1 { color: #FF0000 }
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Alda
Zealot

Thanks for the fast reply!

OK, must profess more ignorance: I'm trying to do this in Sigil and have added the code you gave me but it simply shows up as-is in book view. Do I need to put it somewhere in particular? Or is this just not a "CSS stylesheet"?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think you'll benefit from some introductory tutorial on HTML and CSS. You can start with the W3Schools one.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Alda
Zealot

I'm sure I would too - and I'll look into this as soon as I can carve out a few hours.

In the meantime, can anyone help with a) what code I need to make my headings a different color and b) where I would put that code in Sigil?

Thank you!
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You put the code in the section called stylesheets.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Alda
Zealot

Thanks - but I'm using Sigil to edit. I don't see anything called stylesheet there - unless I'm missing something?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
lhgrappler
lhgrappler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
I'm still pretty new to this but I just found them under "Styles" in the left hand pane
lhgrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Alda
Zealot

Ah! Thank you!!

I have so many sections that it was pushed way down so didn't see it.

Now it all makes sense.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Hey Alda, I saw you were using InDesign in your other thread. If you set up all you paragraph styles with sizes, typeface, bullets, indents, colour, space after, space before etc. in InDesign they are automatically put into the CSS template when you export to ePub. I fine tune the CSS in notepad++ along with the OPF. Very little needs to be done after export. Same with the table of contents. It all gets done for you. There are some big differences between CS4 and 5 for exporting to ePub but both do a good job once you know what they are.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
Alda
Zealot

Thanks wannabe! But I'm using an older version of ID - specifically ID 3. Would it work in that, also?

And incidentally, what's OPF?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Hi Alda,
A really good start is to get a copy of ePub straight to the point recommended to you on the first thread I read. http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/
It explains so much more than anyone can do on here. Between that book and the help you get here I landed a job writing ebooks the day after I wondered what they were when I saw an ad for an ebook maker in the paper.
An ePub is just a mini website in a zip file. Instead of an index page that points to everything it has OPF file that points to everything, lists all of it's components and stitches it all together. The key is to learn how that file does that and make sure you add the bits that indesign doesn't. I.e. It doesn't add a publish date in the meta data or set up the cover image so it displays correctly. I'm pretty certain that 3 is similar to 4 when exporting to ePub which works great.
You will also need to read the w3 HTML and css "how too" explanations.
http://www.w3schools.com/css/ http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
Fortunately I had done some HTML back in the 90's when sites were new and exciting. I feel the same way now learning something new. You will need to know what HTML and CSS is even if you don't actually learn it. I've played with Sigil and as good as it is I think the indesign export when done properly is by far the easiest option if you already own the program.
I didn't see your location. I'm in Sydney. I'm not sure of your time zone but I'll keep an ear to the ground for you mate.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote