Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
flypig
flypig began at the beginning.

Device: ADE, FBreader, others
Fragment Identifier missing, but looks OK

I've searched on this topic but am not finding solutions. Sometimes people just write back and say "fixed it" without saying how! :-)

Here is my error from epubcheck online and the relevant code. This repeats for what looks to be every TOC entry in the toc.ncx:

ERROR: Apples_to_Apples.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(3): 'toc-anchor-5': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/Apples_to_Apples.xhtml'

xhtml file:

<h2 class="chapter-title" xml:lang="en-us" id="toc-anchor-5">Chapter 1. <br/>Introduction</h2>

toc.ncx file:

<navPoint id="navpoint-5" playOrder="6"><navLabel><text>Chapter 1. Introduction</text></navLabel><content src="Apples_to_Apples.xhtml#toc-anchor-5"/>

So what exactly is the fragment identifier and what does not defined really mean? The id of id="toc-anchor-5 is there in the xhtml file, is there some other specific syntax I need to use to satisfy the "defined" this error refers to? Do I have to have a parallel id="toc-anchor-5 somewhere in that toc.ncx code? Or do I need to use an <a name="toc-anchor-5"> like I would if I were making internal page links in an html file?

This code comes directly from the InDesign Export to ePUB process, unedited by me, using a TOC style in InDesign. This is truly an error because Adobe Digital Editions shows the TOC structure in the nav area but the links are not clickable.

Any solutions would be much appreciated. I hate hate hate TOCs, esp with ePUB and Kindle being so different!

Carol
flypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Having the id with the name is enough to define the fragment identifier. Are you sure the filename is correct (the piece of XHTML code is in Apples_to_Apples.xhtml)? Also, make sure the two names "toc-anchor-5" are exactly the same, that there are no no-break hyphens, for instance, or something weird.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Just for the heck of it, make a copy of the epub, open it in Sigil, and have Sigil regenerate the toc.ncx. (It will do so based on <hx> header tags.)

InDesign exports usually need some tweaking.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
mknepper
mknepper began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm having the same problem as Carol, and can't seem to find a solution anywhere! Just for the sake of fresh info:

toc.ncx:
<navPoint id="section3.4.1" playOrder="18"><navLabel><text>Wilf Carter</text></navLabel><content src="volume3chapter4.xhtml#section3.4.1"/></navPoint>

volume3chapter4.xhtml:
<div class="section" id="section3.4.1">

I seem to have a ton of trouble with anchor tags and "fragment identifier not defined" errors both in EPUB files themselves and when converting them to Mobi files with Kindlegen. The only theory I have left is that it has to do with nesting a TOC, but I'm pretty certain I've encountered this issue with single-level, non-nested TOCs before.

Sigil is a great tool, but I don't want to rely on it auto-correcting something if I don't know what exactly it is doing/changing.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!
mknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is "volume3chapter4.xhtml" in the exact same folder as the toc.ncx file (since that's where the <content src="" /> indicates it is)? That doesn't really have anything to do with the fragment identifier but you never know about some of the actual error messages from some of the validators.

I would also avoid using periods in my element IDs/fragment identifiers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
loring
loring began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
I got this error in reference to the book's TOC. Regenerating the TOC fixed it for me.

Last edited by loring; 02-07-2018 at 05:56 PM.
loring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Jane Eyre
Connoisseur
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
I got this error too. "Fragment identifier is not defined."
Just one, just a page.. I don't understand @_@

Solutions?
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I got this error too. "Fragment identifier is not defined."
Just one, just a page.. I don't understand @_@
If you're a Calibre user, open your book with Calibre Editor and click Run check followed by Try to correct all fixable errors automatically.

You can also install my epubcheck plugin for Sigil or Calibre Editor and check your book. (If you click an error message, it'll take you to the line that caused it.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Jane Eyre
Connoisseur
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can also install my epubcheck plugin for Sigil or Calibre Editor and check your book. (If you click an error message, it'll take you to the line that caused it.)
Great!!!!! I could validate my file by means of your plugin

Thank you thank you thank you!!
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fragment identifier