Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
edinmusic
edinmusic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non-Touch
Unhappy Kindle 4NT stuck somewhere

Hello,

I've bought used Kindle 4 non-touch (D01100) model. It was jailbreaked and worked fine, but had problems with battery so I found new/used battery on eBay. Meanwhile, I've uploaded around 900 MB of e-books etc.

The problem is this:

Device is now stuck, I guess, at boot and the screen isn't changing. I've charged it for full day so battery is charged. When connected to PC, in Windows 10 it shows like HID device and then disappears. On Ubuntu (16.04) it's listed as (with lsusb):

Quote:
Bus 002 Device 038: ID 15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX50 SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode
I've tried using Kubrik Live CD but it's stuck when waiting for fastboot mode.

I've tried using imx_usb tools but still it can't go to fastboot mode. When I run sudo ./imx_usb this is output:

Quote:
parse mx50_usb_work.conf
15a2:0052(KindleTouch) bConfigurationValue =1
Interface 0 claimed
report 1, wrote 16 bytes, err=0
report 3, read 4 bytes, err=0
read=56 78 78 56
I don't know what to do now. So if anyone has some advice on what to do now it would be really helpful. Also, is it possible to repair it at all?

Thanks
edinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Exactly what is the screen showing?
Did you wall or computer charge it?
How do you know it has the jailbreak?
Is it showing the same screen as before you replaced the battery?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Remove 890Mbyte of books.

Not only does the indexer on a K4 have problems, the /var/local partition (used by the index database) is too small.

Last edited by knc1; 03-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
edinmusic

It's stuck at this screen

https://imgur.com/nPiRA2y

I would delete ebooks but I can't access it via PC.

It had custom screensaver so I think someone probably jailbroken it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Right now, when I run imx_usb commands it reboots but can't go to fastboot mode. It seems like it's in USB download mode, if I'm correct.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If it reboots but the screen still shows what you posted the whole time then perhaps the screen became disconnected when you changed the battery.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinmusic View Post
It's stuck at this screen

https://imgur.com/nPiRA2y

- - - -
"Stuck at screen" does not say much about a device with an e-ink display.
They are meta-stable displays, they always show what was last written to them, even if disconnected from everything and put on a shelf.

If the screen never changes, even when you restart it -
Check the screen cable, as suggested above.
(Part of the re-boot process clears the screen).

= = = = =

Since you where able to defeat the glue, you might as well leave it open because most likely you will need access to the serial port.
If for no other reason than to read the system messages during the boot, just to see what is being found wrong with it.

Last edited by knc1; 03-18-2017 at 05:05 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
edinmusic

I've checked the screen, and it's connected. Also, it seems that boot sequence stops in the middle somewhere.

Also, I leave it to charge and after sometime orange led just turns off. If I remove cable, then after attaching it back, it continues.

Does this "15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX50 SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode" tell anything about current state? In which mode is device?

Thanks