Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #331
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
As I recall, you just open the zp files and copy the pieces over and then restart your kindle. (but I may be wrong - my memory isn't terribly good)
**DO NOT** "restart your Kindle" !!!!

menu -> settings -> menu -> Update your Kindle
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #332
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by findle View Post
But how does this part work? As far as I have understood, these are installed automatically along with the other stuff when I first run the JB. How do I install just the developer keys and the rescue pack after updating to 5.3.3?
In the first post here they are linked. The dev-keys and the rescue pack are in different threads, you cannot reinstalling by running the jailbreak again. (or you would not have had to downgrade in the first place)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #333
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
**DO NOT** "restart your Kindle" !!!!

menu -> settings -> menu -> Update your Kindle
Ah, yes, thanks. I do remember it was easy to do, however.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #334
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@all: I tried to clear the confusion a bit by modifying the first post. Comments are welcome - thanks!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #335
findle
findle began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@all: I tried to clear the confusion a bit by modifying the first post. Comments are welcome - thanks!
Everything worked nicely. I take it I have to reinstall Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack after every future update?
findle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #336
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findle View Post
Everything worked nicely. I take it I have to reinstall Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack after every future update?
Well, I fear that my crystal ball is broken, so I can't speak for future updates - you may have to check back here when the time has come.

But yes, at least for the currently available 5.3.3 update, that is the case.

EDIT: replaced "firmwares 5.3.3 and newer" by "firmware 5.3.3", you're right.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #337
andrix10
andrix10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
so there is no way of removing the ads through the jailbreak?
andrix10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #338
ixtab
(offline)

Moderator Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrix10 View Post
so there is no way of removing the ads through the jailbreak?
No, not here. Please refer to the forum policy.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #339
andrix10

k then wat should i install in order to get into the root of the kindle?
because there is so much stuff on the forums
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #340
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
k then wat should i install in order to get into the root of the kindle?
because there is so much stuff on the forums
It all depends on what your definition of "getting into the root of the kindle" is.

- If you are a developer, then you'll already know which tools you need, and you can get all of them in this subforum.

- If you are a "normal end user", then you might be interested in the screensavers hack, or JBPatch, or Collections Manager, or one of the many other tools floating around in this forum.

- If you are only interested in removing the screensaver ads from the Kindle, then call Amazon support and ask them to remove the Special Offers from your device.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #341
andrix10

1 more question, if i reset my kindle will the jailbreak still be intact? or ill have to reinstall?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #342
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
1 more question, if i reset my kindle will the jailbreak still be intact? or ill have to reinstall?
If you reset the device using the normal method ("Settings > Reset..."), the jailbreak as such will be preserved.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #343
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
23 pages later, I still have the question and am still missing the answer. To get from 5.3.3 back to 5.3.1 do I just put the update_kindle_5.3.1.bin file in the "root" of the kindle and select Update My Kindle from the menu? (yeah, I'm a little paranoid about trashing a toy I've only had for about 26 hours)

Paperwhite B024 1603 etc etc FW 5.3.3 (1812030015)

Thanks
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #344
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
23 pages later, I still have the question and am still missing the answer. To get from 5.3.3 back to 5.3.1 do I just put the update_kindle_5.3.1.bin file in the "root" of the kindle and select Update My Kindle from the menu? (yeah, I'm a little paranoid about trashing a toy I've only had for about 26 hours)

Paperwhite B024 1603 etc etc FW 5.3.3 (1812030015)

Thanks
Yes .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #345
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Good afternoon
Please be kind, and talk as if to a young child, I have read -carefully- all 23 pages (I understood, I think the salient points) and watched the video. I have downdated the paperwhite software to 5.3.1, done the jailbreak, reupdated to 5.3.3 and reinstalled the developer certificates and rescue pack. I think I am now good to go for the collections manager.
Am I right?

Second stupid question follows
Privacy. Has any kind person found a simple (because I am not a programmer, and can only follow simple instructions) way to stop the kindle calling mama with details of all the books I sideloaded, all of which were either legitimately free or paid for, but not from the same country my kindle is registered to?
If so, please can you point me to the relevant thread? I tend to get lost in the maze rather easily and much of the information seems to fly well above my head.

Thank you all for your forbearance, please feel free to move the post if it is OT or in the wrong forum.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote