Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
darylsuen
darylsuen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Apps for e-readers

i don't have an e-reader, yet, because i'm frustrated with their current limitations. i would like to make notes on pdf's and books, be able to use ebooks of any format, be able to organize my books the way i want, etc.

i don't know much about how electronic gizmos work. are there any e-readers that have the ability to download applications to increase the abilities of your e-reader? for example, an application for the kindle dx that allows you to convert pdf's to kindles format or to take notes in pdf's?

i want an e-reader that i can upgrade with application instead of having to buy a new e-reader and contribute to the demand for creating more electronics putting more pressure on the planet's environment.
darylsuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Apple iPad comes closest to meeting your requirements. You can install lots of different apps on it for different purposes - reading, PDF annotation, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I can do all of the things you said you wanted to do with my Nook. I have to use Calibre to use ebooks that aren't pdf or epub, but most books are now days. I can take notes, highlights, and bookmarks. And I can organize everything the way I want, but I had to soft root it to do that. Also by soft rooting I'm told you can use any android apps. I haven't really tested this out, but I have seen others talk about it.

I live in Canada as well, and I rarely buy B&N ebooks (but have a few), I like to get my books from all over. I like that I can borrow library books with my Nook. That is a plus. No more going in to the library, and no more late fees since the book will automatically go back when it is due. I am told there are ways around this, but I haven't tried yet.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote