Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Added: I missed your update regarding the PV window, I have it docked to the right, works fine in that config. If I undock it, close Sigil, and restart I have to press F10 to get it back again (that might be my kb shortcut)
If I "float" my Preview widget (on Windows 10) and close Sigil, the Preview Widget is floating right where I left it when I relaunch Sigil.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If I "float" my Preview widget (on Windows 10) and close Sigil, the Preview Widget is floating right where I left it when I relaunch Sigil.
How did you relaunch?
  • if I relaunch Sigil via right click and then select the topmost (last used) file on the Taskbar icon, I don't get the floating Preview
  • if I relaunch Sigil, on the same file, via File Explorer->Open With... I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil, on a different file, via calibre's built-in Open With... I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil from the start menu, with the built-in barebones epub, I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil from the task bar with a left click, I get the built-in barebones epub, but I do not get the floating Preview.

So, it seems that the floating Preview is not restored when I relaunch Sigil from the taskbar. I use the task bar as a 'giant' quick-launch bar which is abnormal, and I run a 3rd party Taskbar enhancement utility - 7TT+.

I'm not actually bothered by this, firstly I don't normally float PV. And I don't care if it does have something to do with my taskbar setup because I'm not fazed by having to press F10 to restore a floating PV

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2019 at 10:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I honestly don't know what your first and last options are even referring to. I launch Sigil by double clicking a Sigil shortcut or by double-clicking an epub.

I don't use an undocked Preview either. I was just testing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I honestly don't know what your first and last options are even referring to. I launch Sigil by double clicking a Sigil shortcut or by double-clicking an epub.

I don't use an undocked Preview either. I was just testing.
FTR: Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-06-27 130925.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	172128

I rarely click on shortcuts. none on my desktop

BR
Old 06-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #35
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FTR: Attachment 172128

I rarely click on shortcuts. none on my desktop

BR
err.. all those icons in your screenshot are shortcuts.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ah... the quicklaunch toolbar on the taskbar. Now I get it.

FWIW, the floating Preview widget is being properly restored when using all of your various re-launch methods--even the first and last--on the two different Windows 10 machines I've tried it on.

Quote:
How did you relaunch?
  • if I relaunch Sigil via right click and then select the topmost (last used) file on the Taskbar icon, I don't get the floating Preview
  • if I relaunch Sigil, on the same file, via File Explorer->Open With... I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil, on a different file, via calibre's built-in Open With... I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil from the start menu, with the built-in barebones epub, I do get the floating Preview.
  • If I relaunch Sigil from the task bar with a left click, I get the built-in barebones epub, but I do not get the floating Preview.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Ah... the quicklaunch toolbar on the taskbar. Now I get it.

FWIW, the floating Preview widget is being properly restored when using all of your various re-launch methods--even the first and last--on the two different Windows 10 machines I've tried it on.
I think I'll blame the 3rd party taskbar enhancer, although I'm struggling to imagine how it could have this effect - been using it for over a decade and there haven't been any other similar side effects on other programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
err.. all those icons in your screenshot are shortcuts.
I know that, they're the ones buried in the depths of the ...\microsoft\internet explorer folder that I can never find 'cos I think they should be buried in the ...\microsoft\windows folder

I should have been explicit and wrote I don't click on shortcuts on the desktop -- 'cos there aren't any. I did

Anyway I'm letting this issue go through to the keeper. I might not be real good at clicking shortcuts, but I'm deadly at pressing F10 once in a blue moon

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #38
Norrin
Norrin began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
I tested the 64bit new Version 0.9.15 on Windows 10 (after deinstalling the 32bit Version 0.9.14).
After starting Sigil 0.9.15 I see the html-code.
I open an epub, same; I see the code.
Now I'm looking for the switch-icons "book view" and "code view". They are not shown.
Pressing "F2" takes no action ...

Whats the reason why? You killed this two icon-keys?

Best regards
Norrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin View Post
I tested the 64bit new Version 0.9.15 on Windows 10 (after deinstalling the 32bit Version 0.9.14).
After starting Sigil 0.9.15 I see the html-code.
I open an epub, same; I see the code.
Now I'm looking for the switch-icons "book view" and "code view". They are not shown.

Whats the reason why? You killed this two icon-keys?

Best regards
Book View is gone. So there's no need for buttons (or a keyboard shortcut) to switch between it and Code View. We gave plenty of notice (the previous version's release notes, the github wiki, plus all the various threads here at Mobileread talking about its imminent demise, the release notes for this release--included in the first post of this thread). Is this really the first you're hearing about this?

We developed PageEdit (a separate application) to be used via "Open With" by those who can't live without Book View's functionality. A link to it is on the third post of this thread.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #40
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin View Post
Once you download PageEdit, unpack it and select its path in Sigil via Edit > Preferences > General Settings > External HTML Editor, F2 will automatically open the current HTML file in PageEdit.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #41
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Ugh...back to having Sigil freeze on opening.... I noticed it is still trying to open the preview panel in undocked mode (which is how I left it when closing last time). Does anyone know what setting to change in Sigil.ini to turn off the preview pane? maybe that will let me open it.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #42
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't find the correct setting, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, then opened Sigil from the start menu (blank default epub) and closed down the preview pane.

I was then able to open by double clicking on an epub file, and by using the 'open' selection from within Sigil. That all worked fine.

In every test case - about 6 including default blank epub, pure text page, and cover page with svg shell - when I tried to enable the preview pane Sigil would freeze up (Not Responding).
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Something in your Sigil.ini file must be hosed.

Double click the titlebar of the Preview widget to re-dock it somewhere, and then make sure Sigil can open/close without freezing with it displayed (but docked) before trying to undock it again.

Myself; I'd just delete the Sigil.ini file, let Sigil recreate it and then set everything back up how I like it again. But I know people tend to fall in love with their heavily customized settings and resist doing that for as long as they possibly can. Heck, I delete my Sigil.ini file at least once a week these days (with no backup). Sometimes just for the practice. Ain't no big deal.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #44
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I've attached the .ini

Can you see something wrong?

It won't let me do anything with the preview widget...as soon as it is selected it freezes Sigil.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil.zip (4.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #45
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

OK - troubleshot a little more.

- clean reinstall
- (re) opened epubs with preview widget docked; no issues
- (re) opened epubs with preview widget undocked on same monitor; no issues
- (re) opened epubs with preview widget undocked on different monitor; freezes Sigil

I have the preview widget on the extended desktop on the 2nd monitor. The 2nd monitor has a much higher resolution than the one the Main window is on.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-27-2019 at 02:52 PM.