Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
FresheDiablo
FresheDiablo began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Titles and Author missing on Calibre import

Hello,

At wits end so hoping someone here has a suggestion. I'll try to give a detailed explanation:

Windows 7 (64), installed calibre (64), then the DRM removal plugin. Installed kindle reader (older v1.24.3) and downloaded books.

Restarted Calibre and they read in fine. DMR automatically removed it seemed. I did some conversion-to-mobi tests and that was working, but lead me to realize that some wouldn't work because they are .kfx-zip encoded.

So I downloaded a plug-in for that, and I deleted all the books from Calibre and read them in again. But now the book titles did not come through; instead they were the kindle folder names (e.g. B01069X4H0 EBOK). I was not sure what was wrong, so I essentially started over...

I uninstalled calibre, removed all my downloaded books from kindle. Re-D/L'd them, installed calibre, installed the DRM plugin, as well as the .kfx-zip plugin, went to Calibre to load the books, and now I get neither a Title (still says folder name) or Author (says "Unknown").

Plus, the cover art doesn't come in either, and I do not think it is removing DRM anymore (after loading, the "Formats:" on the right side say "AZD, MD". In fact, I'm sure it is not removing either DRM or KFX-ZIP...

Can anyone tell me what steps to take to fix this? And should the KFX-ZIP decoder (KFX Input.zip) automatically remove the protection just like the DRM one?

Thank you!
FresheDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The KFX Input plugin handles creation of kfx-zip archives during import, extraction of metadata from kfx format, and conversion from KFX to other formats.

In order to import books in KFX you also need a separate plugin to remove DRM. You must obtain that elsewhere and help with DRM removal cannot be given on this site.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
FresheDiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The KFX Input plugin handles creation of kfx-zip archives during import, extraction of metadata from kfx format, and conversion from KFX to other formats.

In order to import books in KFX you also need a separate plugin to remove DRM. You must obtain that elsewhere and help with DRM removal cannot be given on this site.
Thank you; I did not know that about DRM and this site.

But thankfully, it really isn't my main problem, which is that after deleting books from Calibre (and even redownloading to Kindle), I was not getting the Title, and then not Title or Author...
Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Under Preferences, Adding Books is a setting in calibre that controls whether book metadata is parsed from the imported file name or extracted from the file being imported. For books from Kindle for PC you need to have this set to read metadata from file contents. That could be the source of the problem.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
FresheDiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Under Preferences, Adding Books is a setting in calibre that controls whether book metadata is parsed from the imported file name or extracted from the file being imported. For books from Kindle for PC you need to have this set to read metadata from file contents. That could be the source of the problem.
Thanks for that too. But it is already checked. I do Add Books -> Add books from Directories, include Sub-Directories, One book per.... etc.

Just find it so strange it worked once, but won't again. Does anyone know of the possibility that once it has read them in (wrong), that maybe there is some configuration folder I need to delete, so it really reads them in fresh?
Advert
Old 02-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresheDiablo View Post
I do Add Books -> Add books from Directories, include Sub-Directories, One book per.... etc.
You need to add books from newer versions of Kindle for PC one at a time, manually selecting the main file of each book. Instructions are in the documentation for the KFX Input plugin. (See the section "Importing KFX books into calibre for conversion".)

The "Add books from directories, including sub-directories (One book per directory, assumes every e-book file is the same book in a different format)" and "Add books from directories, including sub-directories (Multiple books per directory, assumes every e-book file is a different book)" menu choices won't work because every e-book file is not a different format. For KFX all of the files in each directory combine to make up one format.