Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Sensifer
Sensifer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
How to ennable ligature on Kobo?

Everything is in the tittle: I just found out how to change the fonts and I'd love to ennable the ligature. I'm a student in French Litterature (in France, so my English will be absolutely bad, sorry for that )and I wonder if I could get ebooks as close as to the famous "Pléiade" edition.
You definitely want to have one book of this collection, trust me, they are marvelous! But even after I add Garamond PremierPro Fonts on my Kobo, nothing happens...
So if you guys have a tuto, you'll make my whole life awesome!
Sensifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Well, there are many discussions about ligatures in this forum.

The engine used for Kobo Epub (the ones You get if You buy a book from Kobo, or if You read pocket articles, or if You sideload from calibre in this format) ACCESS has no ligatures in default mode. You can enable them by patching Kobo or modifying css of the book but You will have some rendering issues.

The engine used for epub, RMSDK, has ligatures, so You can side load an epub and get ligatures.

You can also install Koreader and/or Plato that both support ligatures.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=256757&page=2 (from #19 onward - Not all the various advantages of one of the two engines discussed in this thread are still effective, it is a 2015 thread, but nothing changed about ligatures)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=313876&page=2 (from #18 onward)

I discussed in the second thread the argument a few days ago, and I was invited to see the first thread. But looking around the forum You will find much material.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
The engine used for epub, RMSDK, has ligatures, so You can side load an epub and get ligatures.
Just to add: the ePub reader only seems to use ligatures in the 'liga' (standatd ligatures) table.

There are some fonts which have additional tables of ligatures (such as 'hlig' for historical ligatures), so in some cases you might need to edit the font with a program like fontforge and combine whatever additional ligatures you want to use into the 'liga' table.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #4
Sensifer
Sensifer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
[QUOTE=ps67;3802917]Well, there are many discussions about ligatures in this forum.

The engine used for Kobo Epub (the ones You get if You buy a book from Kobo, or if You read pocket articles, or if You sideload from calibre in this format) ACCESS has no ligatures in default mode. You can enable them by patching Kobo or modifying css of the book but You will have some rendering issues

So, if I patch my Kobo, it would ennabled the ligature?
Sensifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensifer View Post
So, if I patch my Kobo, it would ennabled the ligature?
I take it you are reading KePub format.

If you patch, and customise the KePub stylesheet additions patch to add the optimizeLegibility rendering option, it will enable some standard ligatures in the KePub reader. Depending on the particular font you might also need to either edit the stylesheet in the KePub book or edit the font itself if you want to enable additional ligatures such as historical ligatures. If you read with the text fully justified you would also need to put up with some side-effects such as uneven word spacing.

But you can do what that patch does (and more) by editing the book's stylesheet and sideloading it as a KePub. So you might want to try that first with one book as a test before patching the firmware, to see whether it does what you expect and whether you can live with the side-effects. The line to add to the book's stylesheet to get the same effect as the patch is body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}

(IMO if you want to read with ligatures and fully justified text you are probably better to sideload the book as an ePub, as the uneven word spacing in KePubs with this combination is very bad.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

(IMO if you want to read with ligatures and fully justified text you are probably better to sideload the book as an ePub, as the uneven word spacing in KePubs with this combination is very bad.)
I agree and if You want to get an epub book from Kobo You can still download it manually from their site and transfer it trough USB using Adobe Digital Editions (They usually have DRM)
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote