Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Question about styling Font-Size

I have never used <small>, <large>, <x-small>, etc. I've always just styled font-sizes for a special <p>, or <div>, or <span>.

Now I am facing a project that could require Hundreds of spans (my very least favorite dessert), and I thought I would try those tags instead.

I often style <em> and <strong>, and it seems I can also style <small>, <large>, etc. These display fine in ADE for PC and Calibre reader. I can set <small> to be .75em; bold; , and <large> to be 1.5em, italic --- and they work.

Stupid question of the day (but better safe than sorry) --- will other software and reading devices honor this styling?

Thanks

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-08-2017 at 11:56 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect they will. The sizing was in the original spec prior to ePub. However, I do not know if CSS will work to adjust them.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I will give it a go. What's the worst that could happen, after all...

Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could do a .small, .large, .x-small, etc (in the CSS) and then use a span and that will work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Yes, I am going to have to go with a span. It turns out that <large> <x-large> etc have all been deprecated, and <small>, the only survivor of those tags, is now intended as a sematic markup. Thanks to Tex2000ans for pointing me to the information.
Advert
Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Yes, I am going to have to go with a span. It turns out that <large> <x-large> etc have all been deprecated, and <small>, the only survivor of those tags, is now intended as a sematic markup. Thanks to Tex2000ans for pointing me to the information.
Where is it shown that <large>, <x-large>, etc. are deprecated? They aren't in ePub 2 and for an ePub renderer to be ePub 2 compatible, they have to be supported.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Sorry, I was sloppy in my statement. Those *entities* (enclosed in <>) are deprecated in html5, but possibly they are ok for epub. The *terms* (without the <>) are definitely still ok in epub when used to define classes in the css.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-17-2017 at 06:11 AM.