Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #2041
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I misspoke. I meant Police Procedural. My apologies.
Not to start an argument, but I thought that police procedurals were started by the radio show Dragnet. And then the 87th Precinct stories of Ed McBain.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #2042
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Not to start an argument, but I thought that police procedurals were started by the radio show Dragnet. And then the 87th Precinct stories of Ed McBain.
That's what the old time radio show "When Radio Was" says (Dragnet started it). I don't personally have further info.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #2043
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
FREE today at Amazon, Trouble in Nuala by Harriet Steel

Free today at Amazon US and Amazon UK. Trouble in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries Book 1). Series of 3. Haven't come across this author before but looks interesting and I like exotic locations (in this case Sri Lanka). 50 reviews so far, 4.3 out of 5 rating. [Updated with Amazon UK link, not available at Kobo as far as I can find.]

Spoiler:
When Inspector Shanti de Silva moves with his English wife, Jane, to his new post in the sleepy hill town of Nuala, he anticipates a more restful life than police work in the big city entails. However an arrogant plantation owner with a lonely wife, a crusading lawyer, and a death in suspicious circumstances present him with a riddle that he will need all his experience to solve.
Set on the exotic island of Ceylon (modern Sri Lanka) in the 1930s, Trouble in Nuala is an entertaining and absorbing mystery spiced with humour and a colourful cast of characters.

What readers say about Trouble in Nuala:

"This is an unexpected treasure. Set in 1930s Ceylon. It is an interesting look at colonialism from the colonial side. I was engaged from the first page and kept in thrall until the end. Inspector DeSilva and Jane are well drawn characters and I plan on following them through further adventures."

"The sweltering heat and dazzling light of Ceylon in the 1930s pour out from the pages of "Trouble in Nuala". Shanti de Silva, Nuala's police inspector, navigates the complexities of colonial society under British Imperial rule even as he unpicks the threads of a classic murder mystery. First-class entertainment, with a memorable mix of characters."

"A captivating, relaxed read which was thoroughly enjoyable to the last page, set in a charming era, with an endearing lead character and in an interesting location."

"Clever plotting, sharply defined characters and luscious description make this a hugely enjoyable read. I look forward to volume 2".

Last edited by ngrant; 04-30-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: update for Amazon UK
ngrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #2044
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'll take it, for that price! Thanks.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #2045
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Free today at Amazon US and Amazon UK. Trouble in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries Book 1). Series of 3. Haven't come across this author before but looks interesting and I like exotic locations (in this case Sri Lanka). 50 reviews so far, 4.3 out of 5 rating. [Updated with Amazon UK link, not available at Kobo as far as I can find.]

Spoiler:
When Inspector Shanti de Silva moves with his English wife, Jane, to his new post in the sleepy hill town of Nuala, he anticipates a more restful life than police work in the big city entails. However an arrogant plantation owner with a lonely wife, a crusading lawyer, and a death in suspicious circumstances present him with a riddle that he will need all his experience to solve.
Set on the exotic island of Ceylon (modern Sri Lanka) in the 1930s, Trouble in Nuala is an entertaining and absorbing mystery spiced with humour and a colourful cast of characters.

What readers say about Trouble in Nuala:

"This is an unexpected treasure. Set in 1930s Ceylon. It is an interesting look at colonialism from the colonial side. I was engaged from the first page and kept in thrall until the end. Inspector DeSilva and Jane are well drawn characters and I plan on following them through further adventures."

"The sweltering heat and dazzling light of Ceylon in the 1930s pour out from the pages of "Trouble in Nuala". Shanti de Silva, Nuala's police inspector, navigates the complexities of colonial society under British Imperial rule even as he unpicks the threads of a classic murder mystery. First-class entertainment, with a memorable mix of characters."

"A captivating, relaxed read which was thoroughly enjoyable to the last page, set in a charming era, with an endearing lead character and in an interesting location."

"Clever plotting, sharply defined characters and luscious description make this a hugely enjoyable read. I look forward to volume 2".

Enjoyed them very Good
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #2046
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Not free in UK as I post

All three are in KU however
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #2047
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
The first four titles in Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti series have dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. Titles are:
  • Death at La Fenice
  • Death in a Strange Country
  • Dressed for Death, apa The Anonymous Venetian
  • Death and Judgment, apa A Venetian Reckoning
Link for all four: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?se...price-asc-rank
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #2048
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few of the titles in the Blackshirt series by Roderic Jeffries, writing as Roderic Graeme, featuring a character originally created by his father, have been briefly available for free from time to time. Here is another one, The Amazing Mr. Blackshirt, which is the fifth in the series.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Mr-Bl...dp/B07BN36J9Q/
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #2049
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Continuing the Venetian theme from a couple of posts up...

Four titles in Edward Sklepowich's Urbino Macintyre series, set in Venice, have also dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. Titles include:
  • Farewell to the Flesh, #2
  • Liquid Desires, #3
  • Frail Barrier, #8
  • The Veils of Venice, #9
link for all four: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?se...price-asc-rank
Old 05-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #2050
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Seven titles in the Constable Nick series by Nicholas Rhea have dropped to $0.99 at Kindle US. I'm in a hurry and don't have time to list them all, so if you need some in this series, just check the link. The link also includes a stray title in Rhea's Mark Pemberton series that is at a semi-permanent $0.99 price point.

link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?ta...price-asc-rank
Old 05-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #2051
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Which is why I said some. As in my Themes in Literature teacher who insisted that the entire class go out and acquire ten novels by a pair semi-obscure Swedish writers in a time when ebooks were barely a thing (as in, there were suddenly bidding wars on eBay over a few otherwise worthless paperbacks).

At any rate, between these books and the Millennium trilogy, Sweden is the third most-read country (by authors, or setting) in my collection (behind Britain and the US, obvs).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #2052
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
McNally's Luck - Lawrence Sanders - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/McNallys-Luck...dp/B00BI9VZ74/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #2053
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Now down to £0.67...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
A Diet to Die For is the 5th in the Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess. I suspect (without much reason for the suspicion ) that this series is the lesser known of Hess' two main series - the other is her Maggody series. But it's my preferred of the two, mostly because I laugh a lot at the interactions between Claire and her daughter, Caron.

(Don't get me wrong, I also like Hess' Maggody series, just like this one more...)

In any case, Diet has dropped to £1.21 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-Claire...dp/B00LEG005O/
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #2054
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Last Templar is the first in the Knights Templar series by Michael Jecks. A lot of the later titles in this series seem to go on sale, but the earlier ones, not so much. Nice to see this one, which I read and liked in DTB, drop to £0.99 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Templa...dp/B00AHEMX7C/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Paris, 1307. A Knight Templar weeps as he watches his friends, broken by torture, go to their deaths at the stake. Pope Clement has destroyed the Order, persuaded of corruption within it. All that remains is the desire for vengeance against those who defiled the Order’s name.

Devon 1316. Simon Puttock is the newly appointed bailiff of Lydford Castle, but has little experience of violence. A charred body is found in a burned-out cottage, and only the new lord, Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, deduces that the victim was dead before the fire began.

Together, Simon and Baldwin begin to piece together the events of the man’s last days. Then word comes of another murder, and this time the victim was burned alive…
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #2055
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Trouble in Paradise is the 2nd in the Jesse Stone series by Robert B. Parker. It has dropped to £0.99 as part of Kindle UK's Escape with Kindle weekend sale good through May 7.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trouble-Par...dp/B009T99QNU/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Stiles Island is a wealthy and exclusive enclave separated by a bridge from the Massachusetts coastal town of Paradise. James Macklin sees Stiles Island as the ultimate investment opportunity: all he needs to do is invade the island, blow up the bridge, and get to work. To realise his investment, Macklin, along with his devoted girlfriend, Faye, assembles a crew of fellow ex-cons - all experts in their fields - including Wilson Cromartie, a fearsome Apache. James Macklin is a bad man - a very bad man. And Wilson Cromartie, known as Crow, is even worse. As Macklin plans his crime, Paradise Police Chief Jesse Stone has his hands full. He faces romantic entanglements in triplicate: his ex-wife, Jenn, is in the Paradise jail for assault; he's begun a new relationship with a Stiles Island realtor named Marcy Campbell; and he's still sorting out his feelings for attorney Abby Taylor. When Macklin's attack on Stiles Island is set in motion, both Marcy and Abby are put in jeopardy. As the casualties mount, it's up to Jesse to keep both women from harm.