Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Using backups

I ran across an interesting trick this morning, some here probably already know about it, but some might find it interesting.

While Calibre Companion was having their little problem, I was experimenting with using Marvin on my iPad mini to hold my entire library. Since CC put of a mostly working version, I decided that I wanted to go back to using CC on the mini and keep the contents in Marvin synced more or less between my iPad pro and iPad mini.

So, first I deleted Marvin 3 on my iPad mini and then reinstalled the app. This gave me a clean copy.

Then I backed up my copy of Marvin 3 on my iPad Pro and copied the backup to dropbox.

I then using files, downloaded the backup from dropbox onto my iPad mini. I then sent the backup to marvin.

Last open up marvin and restored from backup.

Marvin on my iPad mini now had all the books that I had in Marvin on my iPad Pro, with reading percentages all correct.

Pretty easy and only took about 5 minutes.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Test if the progress sync still works.

With system-level restore from iCloud backup, Marvin tends to see the original and restored iPads as the same device so the progress syncing is all screwed up. Dunno if it's gonna be the same for built-in Marvin backup and restore.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Test if the progress sync still works.

With system-level restore from iCloud backup, Marvin tends to see the original and restored iPads as the same device so the progress syncing is all screwed up. Dunno if it's gonna be the same for built-in Marvin backup and restore.
It still works, at least for the three books I tested.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote