Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
kyzcreig
Enthusiast
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kindle paperwhite
Are there any tricks to making PDFs more readable?

I'm aware of conversion tools and I do use them when possible but it's not really viable with something like a textbook.

Any tips would be appreciated greatly by me (and I'm sure others!)
kyzcreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Short answer - buy a voyage
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Create PDFs with a page size of the screen size of your reader. Problem solved.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Personally I can't read a PDF on an e-ink device, I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Of course when I think PDF I think stuff like comics and so I use an Ipad to see them. To me e-ink is fitting for text only. I have seen videos of people displaying PDF comics on e-ink devices but I am not convinced by that at all. Just my opinion
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Short answer - buy a voyage
I don't understand...how would that help?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
There is a tool K2pdfopt it's great and you can use it to optimize your PDF to your screen size.

Some custom readers have K2pdfopt library inside (Koreader (for K5(Touch)/PW1/PW2+), Librerator (for K2/K3/KDX and K4NT), KPV (for K2/K3/KDX) I'm not sure about CoolReader3). It makes PDF readable on opening and works pretty good.

So you can either use K2pdfopt PC version to change your documents beforehand or use custom reader application. (but for that you'll need to JB your Kindle first)

Last edited by Dexmaster; 02-20-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
kyzcreig
Enthusiast
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
There is a tool K2pdfopt it's great and you can use it to optimize your PDF to your screen size.

Some custom readers have K2pdfopt library inside (Koreader (for K5(Touch)/PW1/PW2+), Librerator (for K2/K3/KDX and K4NT), KPV (for K2/K3/KDX) I'm not sure about CoolReader3). It makes PDF readable on opening and works pretty good.

So you can either use K2pdfopt PC version to change your documents beforehand or use custom reader application. (but for that you'll need to JB your Kindle first)
I've been using this to trim margins, it's excellent. Although in multi column PDFs I'll get some strange artifacts that impinge on highlighting (maybe I'm doing something wrong?). Also on textbooks this kind of stuff is no go.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just use a regular size iPad. Problem solved for me.
Actually, lately I've even been using a mini-iPad as my e-book reader rather than my Kobo or Sony. Yes, it's heavier, but the screen size is larger and I don't have to bother with Calibre any longer. I can load my iPad with almost any format book, and be able to read it. At the same time, I have full connectivity to the Internet should I want it, without carrying an extra device. The extra few ounces don't seem to be a problem for a full-grown adult.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 02-22-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzcreig View Post
I've been using this to trim margins, it's excellent. Although in multi column PDFs I'll get some strange artifacts that impinge on highlighting (maybe I'm doing something wrong?). Also on textbooks this kind of stuff is no go.
Are they DRMed? If so, that is your problem and since you can read it on your Kindle, it must be a Kindle book, I guess a .azw4 (Print Replica)? KindleUnpack can extract the PDF from that.

Re: the artifacts, that is expected. k2pdfopt performs a kind of conversion in order to reflow
Re: the artifacts, that is expected. k2pdfopt performs a kind of conversion in order to reflow
the content. Behind the scenes, this results in multiple copies of the text on top of each other.
the content. Behind the scenes, this results in multiple copies of the text on top of each other.

Well, I think you get the idea.

PDF is a pretty messy format, as far as I am concerned highlighting will always be iffy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just use a regular size iPad. Problem solved for me.
Actually, lately I've even been using a mini-iPad as my e-book reader rather than my Kobo or Sony. Yes, it's heavier, but the screen size is larger and I don't have to bother with Calibre any longer. I can load my iPad with almost any format book, and be able to read it. At the same time, I have full connectivity to the Internet should I want it, without carrying an extra device. The extra few ounces don't seem to be a problem for a full-grown adult.

Stitchawl
Some people prefer reading on an E-Ink device... although there are some new E-Ink tablets out there that usually do better with PDFs than a dedicated ereader with stock firmware.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
kyzcreig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are they DRMed? If so, that is your problem and since you can read it on your Kindle, it must be a Kindle book, I guess a .azw4 (Print Replica)? KindleUnpack can extract the PDF from that.

Well, I think you get the idea.

PDF is a pretty messy format, as far as I am concerned highlighting will always be iffy...

Some people prefer reading on an E-Ink device... although there are some new E-Ink tablets out there that usually do better with PDFs than a dedicated ereader with stock firmware.
Looking into this, thank you very much!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Happy to help.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote