Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Recommend Android reader?

I just got an Android phone (Motorola Triumph), and need an e-book reader app that plays nicely with Calibre's server to load books. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most of them support the calibre content server. I believe the latest release of FBReader even uses mDNS to detect the content server automatically, though I haven't tested it personally.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

I've tried several different programs so far, and can't get any of them to recognize my server. I'll give FBReader a look, since it sounds like it makes life just a little easier than others do.

Update: unless I misconfigured Calibre, no it didn't spot my server, and I'm sure I had the IP right.

Last edited by Seanette; 02-26-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most of them support the calibre content server. I believe the latest release of FBReader even uses mDNS to detect the content server automatically, though I haven't tested it personally.
I have. It works.

Note that the latest fbreader (1.3.8) requires you to download the fbreader local OPDS scanner plugin to enable it to find the calibre content server.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Seanette
Addict

That did the trick, chaley. Thanks! (Now if I didn't have to go one-by-one to download 185 books.... (smile))
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
That did the trick, chaley. Thanks! (Now if I didn't have to go one-by-one to download 185 books.... (smile))
Given that the Triumph runs android 2.2, you should be able to connect it to your desktop using USB and use calibre to transfer all the books you want at one shot. One nice feature of fbreader is that it automatically notices changes to the books folder on the phone.

If I am wrong and your Triumph runs android 3 or higher (as does my galaxy nexus), then there is another strategy. I created a folder on my desktop to be a proxy for my nexus and use calibre's connect-to-folder feature to treat it as a device. I have connected that folder to a folder on my nexus using sugarsync. Voila -- I change my 'device' and my phone follows.

I use sugarsync instead of dropbox because sugarsync handles auto-syncing folders. As far as I can tell, dropbox will only auto-sync files.

Edit: The android app dropsync can sync folders using dropbox. It appears to be less of a resource hog on my phone than sugarsync.

Last edited by chaley; 02-27-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Seanette
Addict

I have Android 2.2.2 on my phone (not sure if it's upgradable and if so, how, since Android is a totally new OS for me). Trying a hardwired connection didn't even occur to me , since I wasn't sure how fbreader would want files organized on the storage card.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Trying a hardwired connection didn't even occur to me , since I wasn't sure how fbreader would want files organized on the storage card.
By default it wants books in the "Books" folder, but you can change this setting in fbreader. I had to do that to get it to see books in the synced sugarsync subfolder.

Fbreader doesn't seem to care about whether books are in subfolders or not.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
Seanette
Addict

I'll keep that in mind next time (such as next phone (smile)). Now all I really need is some way to back up all this stuff on my phone and I'll be happy.