Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #916
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Glad to be of help, and glad you like the continuations...
Especially the one where they meet for the first time, and the one where the victim is the author of a continuation mystery series who gets threatening letters from readers when he writes anything that's a minor inconsistency with the original. Speaking of which, Goldsborough in one story has 3 people seated to the right of the person in the red leather chair, when everyone knows the 3 yellow chairs are always on its left side. I've written to him to get this corrected, but so far no response - I may have to word my next letter a bit more strongly...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #917
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I debated about whether this one is a romantic mystery or a mysterious romance, but SYKM lists it, so I figured it would be okay in the mystery thread...

Fatal Enemy is an e-book short story that serves as the series starter for Diane Capri's Jess Kimball series. It is free right now at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Enemy-K...dp/B009C0P9LY/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/fatal-enemy

Spoiler:
Quote:
SHORT READ New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author DIANE CAPRI Returns!

For fans of Lee Child, Jack Reacher, John Grisham, and Michael Connelly

“Full of thrills and tension – but smart and human too.” —Lee Child, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of Jack Reacher Thrillers

"Jess Kimball is like a female Jack Reacher, only nicer!" —Martha Powers, award winning author of Conspiracy of Silence and Death Angel

Jess Kimball's Impossible Mission: Protect Crime Victims

Relentless victims’ rights advocate Jess Kimball and Jack Reacher both deliver justice when the legal system fails. Reacher waits until trouble finds him and then he does whatever it takes. But Jess pursues legal justice and draws lines she will not cross.

How can she win against killers who refuse to follow the rules?

Jess Kimball hadn’t been in the same room with Richard Martin for more than a dozen years. Worse things than Richard had happened to her since she’d seen him last. He’d find out soon enough that she wasn’t a gullible sixteen-year-old anymore. She was his enemy now and he was hers, whether he knew it or not.

Jess decided long ago she would never yield to him again. Richard Martin would make his choice tonight. Would they become fatal enemies? In this tense battle of nerve and guile, who will survive?
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #918
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
I debated about whether this one is a romantic mystery or a mysterious romance, but SYKM lists it, so I figured it would be okay in the mystery thread...

Fatal Enemy is an e-book short story that serves as the series starter for Diane Capri's Jess Kimball series. It is free right now at Kindle and Kobo US.
. . but again far from free in UK!!
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #919
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
For those of you in or willing to travel to the UK, I just noticed while on the way to something else that a good chunk of the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr is priced between £0.99 and £2.99. I started reading this series back in DTB days, and have quite enjoyed it.

I don't know if these are "normal" prices or sale prices, but either way these are a lot less than prices in the US. I'm not going to try to list all of the titles, but here are links for both Kobo UK and Kindle UK.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/?...price-asc-rank

Kobo UK: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/search?Qu...cminprice=0.99
I've been listening to this series and it's quite enjoyable. Pity it's not on special in the US, I'm always on the lookout for good WS deals
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #920
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry! Wish it were different...

OTOH, see the next post I did, where a bunch of books are WAY cheaper (although not free) right now in the UK than in the US. With ebooks, all of these geo-restrictions are pretty silly, IMO, but that's been discussed over-and-over again here on MR, and somehow I don't think our discussions make a bit of difference - sigh!

And I suppose that I've been thinking that without geo-restrictions everything would move to the lowest price, but I suppose it could work the other way too, and prices could move towards the highest price too, which would be a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
. . but again far from free in UK!!

Last edited by sufue; 07-25-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #921
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

And a bunch more Open Road drops at Kindle US to $1.99. A bunch of repeats at $1.99, but a couple that were new to me. Probably only for today, and not at Kobo US, and looks as if this is starting to be a pattern for them...

three by Patricia Wentworth:

Death at the Deep End, Miss Silver #20
link: https://www.amazon.com/Death-Deep-Mi...dp/B005E8353M/

She Came Back, Miss Silver #9
link: https://www.amazon.com/She-Came-Back...dp/B0057T4N4S/

Miss Silver Comes to Stay, Miss Silver #16
link: https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Silver-C...dp/B005E834ZQ/

four by Charlotte MacLeod:

The Resurrection Man, Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn #10
link: https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-...dp/B0099IHGEC/

The Curse of the Giant Hogweed, Peter Shandy #5
link: https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Giant-H...dp/B009S33K02/

Exit the Milkman, Peter Shandy #10
link: https://www.amazon.com/Exit-Milkman-...dp/B009S33KZ2/

The Terrible Tide, non-series, written as Alisa Craig
link: https://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Tide...dp/B00A39GHQO/

three by Stuart M. Kaminsky:

Tarnished Icons, Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov #11
link: https://www.amazon.com/Tarnished-Ins...dp/B009H707CI/

Never Cross a Vampire, Toby Peters #5
link: https://www.amazon.com/Never-Cross-V...dp/B0060OEMEA/

Mildred Pierced, Toby Peters #23
link: https://www.amazon.com/Mildred-Pierc...dp/B0073M94JG/

other authors:

Cutter's Run, Brady Coyne #15, by William G. Tapply
link: https://www.amazon.com/Cutters-Brady...dp/B00DZ4GW50/

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras, Pot Thief #1, by J. Michael Orenduff
link: https://www.amazon.com/Thief-Studied...dp/B00HO12CTK/
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #922
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Sigh. I keep hoping the Open Road sales make it over here in the UK, but despite (as far as I can see) being the sole publisher for Charlotte MacLeod, we still have silly prices for her work. The cheapest Kindle edition (in English) is £5.49, and most are over £6.00. The Resurrection Man is £8.54. Maybe I should switch my Kobo account to the US (do they accept PayPal or do they want a credit card?)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #923
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Maybe I should switch my Kobo account to the US (do they accept PayPal or do they want a credit card?)
PayPal works fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #924
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Or you can just create a second account using a different email address...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Sigh. I keep hoping the Open Road sales make it over here in the UK, but despite (as far as I can see) being the sole publisher for Charlotte MacLeod, we still have silly prices for her work. The cheapest Kindle edition (in English) is £5.49, and most are over £6.00. The Resurrection Man is £8.54. Maybe I should switch my Kobo account to the US (do they accept PayPal or do they want a credit card?)

Last edited by sufue; 07-25-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #925
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Or you can just create a second account using a different email address...
Both my alternate email addresses are .co.uk accounts, so that won't work. One I will eventually be dropping anyway.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #926
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie is one of Amazon UK's daily deals.

Today Only it's just £0.99.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #927
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The first 20 books in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series are discounted in Australia and New Zealand: $1.99 for book #1, $4.99 ea. for books #2 - #20. (Local dollars, normally $9.99 ea.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #928
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie is also £0.99 at Amazon UK. I don't know how long this price will be there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #929
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

A Small Death in Lisbon is a non-series title by Robert Wilson, and per SYKM was the winner of the 1999 Gold Dagger Award. I read this a long time ago in DTB, and very much enjoyed it. It is a US Kindle Daily Deal today at $2.99.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Small-Death-L...dp/B003MQMUK2/

Spoiler:
Quote:
1941. Klaus Felsen, forced out of his Berlin factory into the SS, arrives in a luminous Lisbon, where Nazis and Allies, refugees and entrepreneurs, dance to the strains of opportunism and despair. Felsen's assignment takes him to the bleak mountains of the north where a devious and brutal battle is being fought for an element vital to Hitler's bliztkrieg. There he meets the man who plants the first seed of greed and revenge that will grow into a thick vine in the landscape of post-war Portugal. Late 1990s. Investigating the murder of a young girl with a disturbing sexual past, Inspector Ze Coelho overturns the dark soil of history and unearths old bones from Portugal's fascist past. This small death in Lisbon is horrific compensation for an even older crime, and Coelho's stubborn pursuit of its truth reveals a tragedy that unites past and present. Robert Wilson's combination of intelligence, suspense, vivid characters, and mesmerizing storytelling richly deserves the international acclaim his novel has received.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #930
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I'm beginning to spot the trend in today's lengthy set of US Kindle Daily Deals - it must be "award winners", because the other two mysteries I spotted among the list are also nominated/winners for a bunch of awards. And a lot of the other books on the list are Pulitzer, Hugo, Newbery, etc. winners. Anyway, here are a few more:

Carolina Skeletons is a non-series title by David Stout and won the 1989 Edgar Award for Best First Novel. It has dropped to $1.99
link: https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Skel...dp/B005YZGRIK/
Spoiler:
Quote:
Edgar Award winner: Based on true events, a chilling tale of murder and injustice in the Jim Crow South

As a fourteen-year-old black boy living in 1940s South Carolina, Linus Bragg should know better than to follow the two bicycling white girls. But something about Sue Ellen and Cindy Lou compels him. Maybe it’s the way Cindy Lou speaks to him, or how Sue Ellen sits on her bike. Whatever the reason, he follows the girls into the woods. It’s the worst mistake he ever makes. When he comes into the clearing, both girls are dead and young Linus is the natural suspect. Forty years later, a nephew of Linus’s returns to South Carolina, curious about this dark moment in his family’s past. To find the fourth person who visited the clearing that day means reopening a sinister chapter of the small town’s history, which certain evil men had thought closed forever.

Carolina Skeletons is based on the 1944 case of George Stinney Jr., who, at the age of fourteen, became the youngest person executed in the United States during the twentieth century. After a hastily scheduled hearing only a few hours long, the jury quickly charged him with a double murder. He was put to death three months later.

A haunting journey into America’s shameful past, Carolina Skeletons deftly explores how history’s skeletons rarely stay hidden forever.

Rain Dogs is the 5th in the Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty, won the 2017 Edgar Award for Best Paperback, and was a finalist for a bunch of other awards. It is $2.99 for today.
link: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Dogs-Det...dp/B013NI8W4G/
Spoiler:
Quote:
What detective gets two locked-room mysteries in one career?

When journalist Lily Bigelow is found dead in the courtyard of Carrickfergus castle, it looks like a suicide. Yet there are just a few things that bother Detective Inspector Sean Duffy enough to keep the case file open. Which is how he finds out that she was working on a devastating investigation of corruption and abuse at the highest levels of power in the UK and beyond.

And so Duffy has two impossible problems on his desk: Who killed Lily Bigelow? And what were they trying to hide?

And for a slightly different "bonus", another of today's daily deals was nominated for a 2013 Edgar ("Best Fact Crime"), didn't win that, but BTW did win a 2013 Pulitzer Prize. Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America by Gilbert King is $1.99 for today.
link: https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Grove-T...dp/B005MMO0IY/
Spoiler:
Quote:
* Winner of the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
* Nominated for a 2013 Edgar Award
* Book of the Year (Non-fiction, 2012) The Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor

In 1949, Florida's orange industry was booming, and citrus barons got rich on the backs of cheap Jim Crow labor. To maintain order and profits, they turned to Willis V. McCall, a violent sheriff who ruled Lake County with murderous resolve. When a white seventeen-year-old Groveland girl cried rape, McCall was fast on the trail of four young blacks who dared to envision a future for themselves beyond the citrus groves. By day's end, the Ku Klux Klan had rolled into town, burning the homes of blacks to the ground and chasing hundreds into the swamps, hell-bent on lynching the young men who came to be known as "the Groveland Boys."

And so began the chain of events that would bring Thurgood Marshall, the man known as "Mr. Civil Rights," and the most important American lawyer of the twentieth century, into the deadly fray. Associates thought it was suicidal for him to wade into the "Florida Terror" at a time when he was irreplaceable to the burgeoning civil rights movement, but the lawyer would not shrink from the fight--not after the Klan had murdered one of Marshall's NAACP associates involved with the case and Marshall had endured continual threats that he would be next.

Drawing on a wealth of never-before-published material, including the FBI's unredacted Groveland case files, as well as unprecedented access to the NAACP's Legal Defense Fund files, King shines new light on this remarkable civil rights crusader, setting his rich and driving narrative against the heroic backdrop of a case that U.S. Supreme Court justice Robert Jackson decried as "one of the best examples of one of the worst menaces to American justice.