Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
tei
tei began at the beginning.

Device: kobo elipsa
Half-page turner?

Hello! I just went from a clara HD to an Elipsa, and while I bought it to use for reading and note-taking, the large screen is making me curious about whether I could use it to read music off of (I'm an orchestral musician.) It has decent size and clarity as-is, but the feature that would make page-turns a lot easier would be the ability to turn half a page at a time-- something like what the iOS app ForScore does, where one tap keeps the bottom of the screen on the previous page and the top of the screen goes to the next page, and the next tap brings the bottom half to the next page as well.

I've never done anything special with my kobo before (besides installing KOreader on my old one, though I'm going to keep the firmware on the Elipsa) and my computing knowledge is basically being a linux user+ some python and running a personal website... so I guess my question of people who are experienced with kobo patches is, how hard would this be to do? If it does seem like a reasonable thing to do, does anyone have suggestions of how to get started learning my way around the display?
tei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
EDIT: I missunderstood the question

As you have experience with python, you could try PyQt to make a simple UI for it

Last edited by Szybet; 08-25-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:34 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This would be trivial on KOReader, but I don't think either of the fixed layout renderers in Nickel have a concept of scroll/continuous rendering.

Might be feasible on PDFs, though, but I have zero experience with either of those renderers either (IIRC, the Elipsas still use a slightly different renderer than other devices, unless I missed the fact that everybody switched to foxit).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
tei
tei began at the beginning.

Device: kobo elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This would be trivial on KOReader, but I don't think either of the fixed layout renderers in Nickel have a concept of scroll/continuous rendering.

Might be feasible on PDFs, though, but I have zero experience with either of those renderers either (IIRC, the Elipsas still use a slightly different renderer than other devices, unless I missed the fact that everybody switched to foxit).
Hmm, interesting! I wasn't planning on using KOreader on this device because i want to use it for note-taking as well...
tei is offline   Reply With Quote