Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

Device: Apple
Just tried to download the final release but no joy. Does this mean that the beta version of last week is the same as the GA version released today.

If so, Calibre Companion is effectively broken due to the issue identified earlier
Stu109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
denns
denns began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD 3
pwalker8 .... I have some questions for you

1. Will Calibre be able to syn'c to Calibre Companion thousands of books at a time or is it a 1 book by 1 book thing?
2. which files app would i need to use on my ipad to be add these books too? And what happens to the books that are currently already on the ipad? Itunes syn'c for books never truly sync'd all my books, even if the operation said completed.

I am really a novice here, but I have a hugh library and I really need help trying to figure out how to get books back on my ipad.

Thanks you
denns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu109 View Post
Just tried to download the final release but no joy. Does this mean that the beta version of last week is the same as the GA version released today.

If so, Calibre Companion is effectively broken due to the issue identified earlier
To the best of my knowledge the iOS 11 Gold Master and today's release are the same.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

@Stu109 see pwalker8's work around below. It should suffice until a more elegant solution is programed in by Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
ok, I've got a work around for this.

In calibre companion, select a book. choose read. Instead of copy to Marvin, choose save to Files. Select a folder under On My IPad (I use the Numbers folder). Select Add.

In Marvin, Select menu, Get Book From, Cloud Picker. Select Browse. Choose the folder that you saved the ebook to (it will remember the folder). Select the ebook. and voila.

It's a bit more of a kludge than simply selecting Marvin, but it works and doesn't require that you be connected to your main Calibre database.

After you have saved the ebook to files from Calibre Companion, you can also put up the Files app, go to the folder and do a long select on the ebook in question (i.e. select and hold your finger down). This will pop up a menu. One of the options is share. After you share, you will be given a list of apps to share with, including iBooks and Marvin. Just select the app and the ebook is copied there, just like it use to be with CC.

I've tried both methods and it seems to work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
ok, I've got a work around for this.

In calibre companion, select a book. choose read. Instead of copy to Marvin, choose save to Files. Select a folder under On My IPad (I use the Numbers folder). Select Add.

In Marvin, Select menu, Get Book From, Cloud Picker. Select Browse. Choose the folder that you saved the ebook to (it will remember the folder). Select the ebook. and voila.

It's a bit more of a kludge than simply selecting Marvin, but it works and doesn't require that you be connected to your main Calibre database.

After you have saved the ebook to files from Calibre Companion, you can also put up the Files app, go to the folder and do a long select on the ebook in question (i.e. select and hold your finger down). This will pop up a menu. One of the options is share. After you share, you will be given a list of apps to share with, including iBooks and Marvin. Just select the app and the ebook is copied there, just like it use to be with CC.

I've tried both methods and it seems to work.
Thank you very much for these workarounds. They work on my iPad mini3.
The second part using the File Share app also works with Mapleread.

I will now dare to upgrade my iPad pro.

I also tried to use "Save with Dropbox". But the file on Dropbox gets a generic name containing date and time instead of the book's title, and the extension is blank, not EPUB. The file will not be recognized by the reading apps unless you add the epub extension.

Saving to Dropbox using Marvin will also give a generic file name. So this is most likely an Apple issue.

In Marvin you can also use sharing of a book to other apps, and here the book is transferred to the chosen destination.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #21
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

I thought some people might find the process that I am using until this issue is resolved to be of some interest. I have now reverted to my previous workflow on windows 10 PC using the following products:

Kindle 1.17.1 (For MOBI, AZW etc..books)

Epubsoft Kindle Removal 9.0.5 (Remove DRM)

Calibre. This is my central point to gather/convert Kindle books to EPUB. Organise, tag (history, fiction, biographies etc..) and any books series within the tags as required and sync to iTunes). Any PDFs I come across also go into Calibre for the same process

iTunes 12.6.2.20 (to sync over to iBooks, making sure to always select ALL books)

This process maintains the integrity of the tags and book series for both EPUB and PDF files. In Calibre I can also see which books are in Calibre and which are in iTunes for comparison purposes

Hopefully I will be able to continue this with CC and iBooks or CC and Marvin sometime in the near future. I have to say I really like Marvin but have the following questions/thoughts:

Could Marvin use ICloud as its data source (Calibre could easily save there), could there be some comparison in Marvin against what is already there and what has been selected for import (comparison)??
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
TeddyLours
TeddyLours began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Apple
Thank's pwalker8 for this nice temporary (I hope) solution which works very fine.
I hope Steve_Haley will repare CC and thank's him too for his work.
TeddyLours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Epubsoft Kindle Removal 9.0.5 (Remove DRM)
No, just no. Why would you pay about $30 for something that you can get for free? I run the free tools for removing DRM and they work very well. You got ripped off. suggesting this to anyone else is oh so very wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #24
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Thanks for confirming guys, even if it's bad news. I'm going to start looking at longer term solutions, and in the interim, remove CC iOS from sale.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
Thanks for confirming guys, even if it's bad news. I'm going to start looking at longer term solutions, and in the interim, remove CC iOS from sale.
Why remove it, Steve? It works just fine with FileShare.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
I agree with Harry, plus, for me, the primary purpose of CC is the same as Calibre, i.e. being able to organize my books and sync that with Calibre. Before I found the work around, I would have been fine downloading everything to Marvin, and just using CC to decide what to read next.

My suggestion would be to leave it up with a note that IOS 11 broke the copy straight to reader app functionality and maybe instructions on the work around. My guess is that CC isn't the only app effected and if it's a bug that Apple will get around to fixing it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #27
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
My suggestion would be to leave it up with a note that IOS 11 broke the copy straight to reader app functionality and maybe instructions on the work around. My guess is that CC isn't the only app effected and if it's a bug that Apple will get around to fixing it.
I would like to (re)mention this: If you longpress a title in Marvin then you can select "Share and Send" and if you next select "Send to..." then you get the same options as you get when you select "Read" in CC. And from Marvin the book is sent to the chosen destination. In my system you can select Mapleread, iBooks, FileApp and other destinations.

It does indicate that it should be fixable in CC.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #28
Stu109
Enthusiast

New Workflow

Now that iTunes sync and Calibre Companion are no longer fully functional under IOS 11 I have been looking around for another methodology to handle my book collection.

This has made me look more closely at Marvin which seems to be an excellent app. It enables you to add collections and series within those collections and has multiple book filtering capabilities I think are just excellent.

I've also made some changes in light of comments about my DeDrm choices.

For those who might find the information useful my new process is:

Kindle

Calibre with DeDm and auto-convert to EPUB then "start content server"

Marvin and go to Get books from "OPDS auto or calibre server"

Select and connect

Select and download on "newest" filter as required

I'm looking forward to using Marvin and am actually starting to think that "loosing" the iTunes sync might be a really good move
Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #29
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
I'm holding out hope that CC will be fixed to do what it was doing under previous iOS versions.

I just spent a lot of time and trouble extricating my e-book library from the horrible program known as iBooks and into Calibre. I just got used to being able to sync books from Calibre to Calibre Companion and to have the meta-data get updated regularly.

As it is, I thought it was a lot of trouble to copy books from CC to another reader, but was ready to just accept that as the price of doing away with iBooks. I guess I'll use the temporary work around that was suggested.

I don't use Marvin, but I do have KyBooks and KyBooks 2 which I think read all the formats my e-books are in (cbz, cbr, pdf, epub). Is there a way to sync books directly from Calibre to Kybooks or other third party programs?
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #30
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Thanks for the patience everyone. I've found the bug in CC that caused trouble with iOS 11, and I'm in the middle of submitting the new version to Apple. Hopefully they'll approve it and put it on the appstore within a few days.

For anyone who's curious, it turns out the problem was something that's been in CC all along, but until now iOS ignored. We were passing some incorrect data along with the "Open this book in [app]" action, and apparently iOS 11 was more strict. It would have been nice for it to give an error message of some kind, but that's another story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why remove it, Steve? It works just fine with FileShare.
I removed it from sale for two reasons really. (1) I knew it would take a week or two for me to find a chance to fix this, and (2) I wanted to show 'good faith' that I'm trying to fix this issue rather than taking people's money for something that was semi-broken. The app is already hard enough to use...
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote