Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
paul55391
Enthusiast
paul55391 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to use SSL on Mac running Server

I have a Mac mini running Server on which I want to run the calibre Content Server. For added security I want to access calibre using SSL, but I’ve been unsuccessful.

I can access my website on the Mac mini (using https), but I can’t access calibre (when I append the 8080 port number to the URL).

I suspect that I need to fill in two fields in the “Sharing over the net” Preferences panel: (1) Path to the SSL certificate file and (2) Path to the SSL private key file.

Can anyone confirm that I am on the right path? (No pun intended)

And if so, where can I find these two files on a Mac system?
paul55391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul55391 View Post
I have a Mac mini running Server on which I want to run the calibre Content Server. For added security I want to access calibre using SSL, but I’ve been unsuccessful.

I can access my website on the Mac mini (using https), but I can’t access calibre (when I append the 8080 port number to the URL).

I suspect that I need to fill in two fields in the “Sharing over the net” Preferences panel: (1) Path to the SSL certificate file and (2) Path to the SSL private key file.

Can anyone confirm that I am on the right path? (No pun intended)

And if so, where can I find these two files on a Mac system?
You will have to generate your own certificate. Then enter the path into calibre.

See: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...enssl#10176685

this is the command I used on my lunix system.
Code:
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout calibre_key.pem -out calibre_cert.pem -days 730 -nodes
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
paul55391
Enthusiast
paul55391 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks. It looks like I'm on the right track. A couple questions:
(1) The Mac Server already has a Self-Signed certificate. Can I use that instead of generating a new one with openssl?
(2) Whichever certificate I use do the certificate and key go in /etc/ssl? (And who should own them?)
paul55391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul55391 View Post
Thanks. It looks like I'm on the right track. A couple questions:
(1) The Mac Server already has a Self-Signed certificate. Can I use that instead of generating a new one with openssl?
(2) Whichever certificate I use do the certificate and key go in /etc/ssl? (And who should own them?)
Then you should not need new certificate or to enter the path.
see:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/ser...-other-servers
Quote:
Here, we will show you how to integrate the calibre Content server into another server. The most common reason for this is to make use of SSL or to serve the calibre library as part of a larger site. The basic technique is to run the calibre server and setup a reverse proxy to it from the main server.

A reverse proxy is when your normal server accepts incoming requests and passes them onto the calibre server. It then reads the response from the calibre server and forwards it to the client. This means that you can simply run the calibre server as normal without trying to integrate it closely with your main server.
You are on your own as far as setting up the Mac Server as a reverse proxy.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 08-13-2017 at 10:22 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote