Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #46
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are things that would make the Kindle much better than it is. Instead of just the simplistic choices Amazon gives with the on screen formatting, just give us sliders that let the user control what we want. I (and a lot of others) want less margin and less line height. A lot want to be able to easily add fonts to the fonts menu. Some are OK with the Kindle as is, but for those that don't now about these sorts of things, would they be happy if they got them?
I predict that some would be happy, but others would not.

Sometimes my Kindle margins are larger than I would like. This actually happens on my Kobo readers as well, albeit less often. It depends on the book. On other occasions, I feel a little inconvenienced when I have to adjust the font size and margins when switching from one book to another on my Kobo; something I rarely experience on my Kindle - it's more of a set-and-forget. So I think it is swings and roundabouts on that point - and that's part of why I like owning readers from both brands.

I really like that you can read all books in landscape view on Kindle readers. I would love it if Kobo would implement this feature. However, my feeling is that very few people care about this. So I don't think it would help Kobo surpass Kindle. And naturally, I wouldn't expect most Kobo fans to concede that landscape view is a desirable feature.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #47
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Besides what you mention, in the US market I'd guess that outside of forums like this most people don't even know what Kobo is since they only really sell their hardware to this market through their website.
They also sell to the US through Amazon. I'm in the US and that's where I got both of my Kobo readers.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #48
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
There are things that would make the Kindle much better than it is. Instead of just the simplistic choices Amazon gives with the on screen formatting, just give us sliders that let the user control what we want. I (and a lot of others) want less margin and less line height. A lot want to be able to easily add fonts to the fonts menu. Some are OK with the Kindle as is, but for those that don't now about these sorts of things, would they be happy if they got them?

The reason we are saying Kobo is already better is because we have more options to what we can do now. We don't need them added in. The thing is, I've read a lot about Kindle users asking for more options and Amazon ignoring them.
Ok Jon, so why is it, in your opinion, that Kobos aren't keeping up with Amazon in terms of market share?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ok Jon, so why is it, in your opinion, that Kobos aren't keeping up with Amazon in terms of market share?

Shari
Too many Kindle users are lemmings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #50
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Kobo already make great devices capable of competing. But, for the overwhelming majority of readers, it is not Kobo ereaders v. Kindle ereaders, but Kobo's "ecosystem" v. Amazon's "ecosystem". Amazon has Prime, Kindle Unlimited, Audible, Whispersync, far greater variety, much cheaper prices in general and vastly superior support. Hardware wise it offers an option for 3g access on its devices with no network charges. The overall experience of dealing with Amazon is far superior. I can't see Kobo ever competing. Apple or Google potentially could, but do not seem that interested.
That covers me exactly. I've had a few years and four kobo ereaders to test out Kobo, but I'm now exclusively kindle and nothing kobo offers will tempt me back. It's because of the whispersync of sideloaded books, and Audible, especially the cheap whispersync prices.

I also think kindle ereaders are made to a higher standard but that's just my opinion. The eco system is what makes Amazon stand out.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #51
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Too many Kindle users are lemmings.
Then all Kobo need do is point them in the direction of the nearest cliff...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
...It is sheer fantasy to think all Kobo has to do is put its readers beside Kindles in retailers and people will choose Kobo every time. It would probably be close to 50/50 if the hardware was the only consideration. But when you take into account the whole user experience and infrastructure it will be 90% Kindle. Kobo's hardware can compete, but they are not even in the same ballpark as Amazon with everything else.
Best Buy used to have Kindles, Nooks and Kobos "side by side." They quit selling Nooks and Kobos because they weren't competing. I like Nooks but I'm not delusional enough to think they could compete with Amazon and come out ahead or even close. Even WalMart is having trouble competing with Amazon. Where does that leave Barnes & Noble and Rakuten?

I do think that Kobo, if they want to compete with Kindle, needs an eReader under $100 again. They've got nothing to compete with Amazon's Basic Kindle (at $80) and often on sale for $50. (Or even refurbished at $40.) That's a whole "intro" market that Kobo just cedes to Amazon. Worse, it's probably the "intro market" that people gravitate to when first trying out an eReader and the ecosystem they'll stay in if the "eReading" habit "takes."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #53
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

I also think kindle ereaders are made to a higher standard but that's just my opinion.
The Kindle Oasis 2 at $140.00CAD more than the Kobo Aura One had better be made to a higher standard.

(8g, wifi only KO2 at Amazon.ca sells for $389.99; 8g, wifi KAO sells for $249.99)
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #54
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
My first reader was a Kobo, and a side trip with a Sony Reader or 2, but after I switched to Kindle there was no looking back. I like being able to email books to myself that I may not have bought at Amazon (smashwords, etc), as well as the integrated goodreads feature (which really only integrates "their" books but still, nice).

Most of what has me loving Kindle more, is the fact that my adult daughter with some cognitive challenges is able to use it so fluidly and easily with independence and confidence. She's been downloading freebies on there like a kid in a candy store, and I don't have to buy the books "for her". Anything that makes her feel smarter and more DIY is a win win for me. Less handholding and more freedom for her.

Should Kobo ever make such a user friendly ecosystem on their e-ink readers, I may also revisit them. (I do love gadgets so no harm in owning both!). Kobo started out in Canada (if memory serves) which is where I am from. They were displayed liberally all over Chapters, so it was the first thing I was able to touch and play with in real life.

I cannot see Kobo ever "surpassing" Kindle, but I am prepared for surprises. I am not a market-savvy person, but I know my own end-user preferences.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #55
alt10
alt10 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What bothers me the most is the ambiguous support for non-english languages (incomplete fonts, complicated procedure to get a non-standard dictionary on the device) and the incomplete support for pdf files (no dictionary support, no cropping, etc).
I would have liked to buy a Kobo for my kid, but unfortunately--on terms of functionality--Kobo cannot compete even against a cheap K8th.
alt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #56
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Sometimes my Kindle margins are larger than I would like. This actually happens on my Kobo readers as well, albeit less often. It depends on the book. On other occasions, I feel a little inconvenienced when I have to adjust the font size and margins when switching from one book to another on my Kobo; something I rarely experience on my Kindle - it's more of a set-and-forget. So I think it is swings and roundabouts on that point - and that's part of why I like owning readers from both brands.
This is something that I really like about my Kindle as well. Have only had a PW2, but it is annoying when the lines and margins change between one book to another. I do like being able to go from book to book and have the layout be pretty similar without having to tweak settings. The only time I change my settings right now is when I read in a dim room and up the boldness so I can turn the light down lower.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt10 View Post
What bothers me the most is the ambiguous support for non-english languages (incomplete fonts, complicated procedure to get a non-standard dictionary on the device) and the incomplete support for pdf files (no dictionary support, no cropping, etc).
I would have liked to buy a Kobo for my kid, but unfortunately--on terms of functionality--Kobo cannot compete even against a cheap K8th.
In terms of eInk and PDF, I just don't bother with PDF. It just doesn't work well. I've seen PDF on Sony Readers, Kindle, Kobo, nook, and I would say to forget PDF. An iPad is much better for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #58
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
In terms of eInk and PDF, I just don't bother with PDF. It just doesn't work well. I've seen PDF on Sony Readers, Kindle, Kobo, nook, and I would say to forget PDF. An iPad is much better for PDF.
If Kobo improved their PDF reading performance to match that of a Kindle, I would happily read PDF files on my Aura One and H20 just like I do on my Kindle devices. Until then, I will stick to reading PDF files on my Kindle, and you can stick with your ipad.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I don't like pdfs on ereaders either.
Though just because we agree on that part, I would have to say an Android tablet works well for pdfs.
And I am not a lemming.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #60
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
That all depends... on the size of the reader, the kind of PDF, the reading software and the reading environment.

In direct sunlight, iPads and tablets are not so great for reading PDFs. A 13.3" ereader is great for reading just about any PDF. For a lot of text based apps that don't require pinch and zoom, Koreader works quite well on a Kobo device and is easy to install.

However, in my experience, the PDF experience with the native software on a Kobo device is seldom pleasurable.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote