Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
chrisvacc
chrisvacc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML
Cool Want to install Android 4.4 KitKat on my Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2 (Afterglow 2)

I rooted it already, but I have no idea what to do from here. Anyone have any guides? I want to install an app called Voice Dream Reader which requires Android v 4.4, and the C67ML comes preloaded with Android 4.2. I'm relatively new to the Android OS so some of the more complex stuff I'm not familiar with yet. Any help?
chrisvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads

I did it for a T68. Works okay. Not sure about your device. Ask Booxtor if it will work. Note: The 4.4 upgrade is old and many people have had problems with it. Search Onyx 4.4 Kitkat. Personally it worked okay for me. Onyx will be releasing a 4.4 update this month, so you might be better to wait for that.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
If there's a 4.4 update coming soon, definitely wait for that! Firmware needs to be designed with specific hardware in mind. I suspect that none of the ones in that download link will work on the C67ML Carta 2. Different screen resolutions, different hardware. You'd probably end up with a bootloop if you tried one.

No one, as far as I know, has ever developed a custom ROM for this device based on 4.4. Nothing out there is newer than 4.2.2, as far s I can see. Unless there is one lurking out there somewhere, wait for the Onyx upgrade.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
If there's a 4.4 update coming soon, definitely wait for that! Firmware needs to be designed with specific hardware in mind. I suspect that none of the ones in that download link will work on the C67ML Carta 2. Different screen resolutions, different hardware. You'd probably end up with a bootloop if you tried one.
I agree with you. But I did notice that someone ported an Onyx ROM to Boyue and it worked, so who knows.

Re: the April update, I'm sure it will work for the bigger devices, but I'm not so sure about older smaller devices. Certainly I don't expect it for the T68. Fortunately the old update worked for me.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I agree with you. But I did notice that someone ported an Onyx ROM to Boyue and it worked, so who knows.

Re: the April update, I'm sure it will work for the bigger devices, but I'm not so sure about older smaller devices. Certainly I don't expect it for the T68. Fortunately the old update worked for me.
Yes, I once used that ported Onyx C67 ROM for my Boyue T62. Those two devices had very similar hardware: same CPU, same display, same resolution, same internal storage, and so forth. Only a few tweaks needed to be added to the Onyx ROM for Boyue use (such as a change to allow the Onyx frontlight control to work with the Boyue light). I doubt that a firmware designed for the T68 would work on the C67. But, if anyone wants to try - and it works - great!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I once used that ported Onyx C67 ROM for my Boyue T62. Those two devices had very similar hardware: same CPU, same display, same resolution, same internal storage, and so forth. Only a few tweaks needed to be added to the Onyx ROM for Boyue use (such as a change to allow the Onyx frontlight control to work with the Boyue light). I doubt that a firmware designed for the T68 would work on the C67. But, if anyone wants to try - and it works - great!
I wouldn't try it Though I'm curious to how much the hardware differs.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
chrisvacc
chrisvacc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloadsOnyx will be releasing a 4.4 update this month, so you might be better to wait for that.

Quote:
If there's a 4.4 update coming soon, definitely wait for that!
Oh awesome! Yea, I will definitely grab the official update. Do you have any more info on that?? Thanks!
chrisvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:05 AM   #8
hk1997
hk1997 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX C67 Carta 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvacc View Post
Oh awesome! Yea, I will definitely grab the official update. Do you have any more info on that?? Thanks!
Hi chrisvacc
your BOOX C67ML Carta2+ is Android 4.4 now?
I have a same problem too. Please advise.
Thankyou

Sorry English not my first language
hk1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
November... 7 months after and still waiting.

I thought I maybe recommend this device cause it will have an update to 4.4, wich is required to borrow books with eBiblio platform in my country, but it seems it won't happen. What a pitty.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
jamdor
jamdor began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
November... 7 months after and still waiting.

I thought I maybe recommend this device cause it will have an update to 4.4, wich is required to borrow books with eBiblio platform in my country, but it seems it won't happen. What a pitty.

Same here, I did even email to the authorized dealer of my country as well as Onyx for C67ML Carta 2+ update but seems we're the one being fall away...
jamdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Balesz
Balesz began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta+
Anybody has any idea about changing the kernel on c67ml devices? There are no custom kernels as far as I know but what about installing Boyue T62 kernel on the c67ml for example? Unfortunately the c67ml allows only 1 cpu speed, therefore effective battery life tweaks are not really possible but boyue devices have several cpu clock speed options.
Balesz is offline   Reply With Quote