Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #31
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I bought Firefly Island at Amazon, and then bought it again at Smashwords to pay for a copy for a niece.

I really enjoyed the book and I think it deserves the glowing reviews you mention it getting.

I did have a problem with one part of it and I wanted to comment (constructively) for you to consider it in your future writing. I'll try to be a little vague to avoid blatant spoilers.

A generally decent and earnest character transitions pretty much without explanation into a combination of frivolous and cold-blooded behavior, in one of the major section breaks of the book.

I don't quibble with the idea that the change could have happened, even people with the best of motivations can do "Bad Things" believing there will be a greater good. I would have just appreciated a discussion of the transition. Something more than "CHARACTER embarks on a path of cold-blooded destruction because they had changed quite a bit in the past few years..."

My impression of it was "love this character...love this character...uh-what??? *flip flip* (err <back button> <back button>)... no...doesn't look like I missed anything...." The explanation seemed to be glossed over to dedicate extra page space to a discussion about their new stylish clothing.

I hope this comment wasn't too spoiler-ish. I don't feel it ruins the book. It was just very jarring for me in the middle of what was otherwise a very smooth and immersive read.

Last edited by Gwen Morse; 10-30-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Hi Gwen,

Thank you for reading, and thank you for buying that second copy instead of lending yours. I appreciate it.

Author Rob Duperre has called Aeolia, the main character, a "living contradiction". She was a challenge to write. You're right; she indeed switches from innocent, to dark, to strong, to scared. Firefly Island was first published in hardcover back in 2007. Were I writing the novel today, I probably wouldn't let her run out of control. Looking back on this novel now, I see all these little things that, today, I might have done differently... but it's with fondness. Today I see Firefly Island, my first novel, as a big hodge-podge of clunky earnestness and passion. I tell myself, "This is where I was, as a writer, in those early years; now stop reminiscing, sit down, and write the next book... and make it the best one yet."

Daniel
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #33
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

My fantasy novel Firefly Island received its 18th Amazon review this morning -- for five stars. On Amazon.com, Firefly Island now has 12 five-star reviews and 6 four-star reviews.

Quote:
A truly remarkable tale: What I like most about Firefly Island by Daniel Arenson is the depth of emotion it expresses. First of all, I still can't get through the first few pages without tearing up. The fear and despair of the young child, Aeolia, being sold into slavery is moving and heart-wrenching. It pulls you into the story and won't let you go. Great opening! Mr. Arenson knows how to tug at your heartstrings. The other amazing thing is that throughout the story, I kept forgetting that this is a fantasy. The characters and their thoughts and feelings are masterfully portrayed, they are convincing and real. Of course, this is a fantastic tales with battles and events right out of fantasy land, but the feelings and thoughts of the characters, whether they are ogres or half-human or human, are genuine. Mr. Arenson creates a complex, often cruel, harsh world, which is tempered by love and compassion. This is one of the best fantasies I have read in a while.
You can learn more about Firefly Island here.

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

Thanks for reading,

Daniel

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #34
DArenson
ebookworm

New Five-Star Review for Firefly Island

Firefly Island has received another five-star review on Amazon.com. The novel now has nineteen reviews -- thirteen five-star reviews and six four-star reviews.

Here's a quote from the latest one:

Quote:
My favorite indie book by far. If you enjoy epic fantasy, then this book is absolutely worth picking up. If you enjoy fantasy in general, but don't find epic fantasy your favorite, it would still be worth picking up. I found the writing style one which would not be difficult to follow for people who don't enjoy the extreme epic fantasies as well as solidly enjoyable for those of us who do enjoy those. I would consider this one of my favorite books. 5 stars.
Learn more about Firefly Island.

You can find Firefly Island at the Kindle store, Smashwords, iBookstores, and many other ebook shops.

Thanks for reading,

Daniel
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #35
DArenson
ebookworm

Fantasy novel Firefly Island received a new five-star review. Here's a quote:

"Daniel Arenson's novel Firefly Island creates a world that unfolds with many surprises and a great mixture of drama, tragedy, romance, and humor."

You can read the full review on Amazon.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #36
DArenson
ebookworm

Firefly Island received a new five-star review:

"Daniel Arenson has captured the tender hearted beauty of fireflies in summer. Brian Aldiss writes, you have to grow up in order to see with the eyes of a child and put it in writing. This writer has done that. It's a novel of total imagination. I'm not going to be stupid enough to try to tell you about it. I can't. It is the delicate texture of firefly wings. This is a territory that is believed in seriously by everyone who still has that seven year old's courage of a tiger and fantasy that knows no boundary. You look at fireflies at night and maybe think they are really too beautiful and fragile to be a part of this knockabout world. That's where this novel comes in. It starts off with the gentleness of a cloud and moves on to adventures, sure and true. Battles for right and rewards and happily ever after. Though it takes an awfully enjoyable time filled with action you just do not want to see end. A movie, with about 45 billion dollars could be made of this book, it's worth it. But his pastel words turn on the film in our mind. We are captured totally, so it's a great book. I say buy it. I agree with his fans, he's a fine writer."

You can read the full review on Amazon.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #37
DArenson
ebookworm

Firefly Island, an exciting January

Good evening, everyone. It's been some time since I've updated this thread, so I figured I'd fill you in.

Firefly Island has been having an exciting January.

Red Adept Reviews has named Firefly Island the Runner Up Best Fantasy Novel of 2010.

Indie author and book critic Robert Duperre has named Firefly Island one of the best novels of 2010.

Firefly Island has also received several new Amazon reviews. It now has 23 reviews averaging 4.7 stars. The latest review writes: "Unique magic, excellent read. I highly recommend this book. This is one author I will keep an eye on, if their first offering is this good the sky is the limit."

If you haven't read Firefly Island yet, feel free to grab a free sample from Smashwords, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. You can also read a sample here. Thank you for reading!

Last edited by DArenson; 01-11-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #38
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just finished reading this book.....wonderful!! I hope you are able to write more in this same world!

The characters came alive, the locations were vivid (sometimes too descriptive, but it didn't hurt the pacing at all), and characters you come to know die, no one is safe!

And at the risk of a spoiler without too much detail....Taya and the worm....nice touch!!

There are a couple things that I could say hurt the story...one, it was pretty predictable how the end was played out....there was a chapter that wasn't so much foreshadowing as it was "here's a crystal ball, watch and see".

And I would have liked the map to be a bit more detailed.

But those are minor....loved the book, will be buying more!

EDIT: Just bought Flaming Dove today....it'll be up at the top of the list in the next two weeks!

Last edited by jhempel24; 02-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #39
DArenson
ebookworm

Thanks, jhempel24! I hope you enjoy Flaming Dove, too. When you're done reading it, let me know what you think.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just starting to read this book now. Will tell you how I get on.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #41
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
Hi Lee,

Thanks!

The hardcover (released in 2007 from Five Star, an imprint of Gale) has this cover: . . .
A very nice, very talented artist named Thorsten Grambow painted this one. I think mine was his last cover art; as far as I know, he's retired from painting them. If you're curious, you can see a larger version of it on my website, http://www.DanielArenson.com.

Daniel
http://www.DanielArenson.com
Sorry to come to this party so late, but are you saying you drove this man out of the business completely?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
DArenson
ebookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Sorry to come to this party so late, but are you saying you drove this man out of the business completely?
That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #43
DArenson
ebookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Just starting to read this book now. Will tell you how I get on.

Regards
Caleb
Thanks, Caleb! I hope you enjoy it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #44
DArenson
ebookworm

If you'll excuse another thread bump, I wanted to share some lovely news.

A reader emailed me yesterday. She had found Firefly Island in the Kindle store, and enjoyed it enough to compose a song for the novel.

You can hear the beautiful music here.

I'm humbled and proud that my novel inspired this piece.

In other news -- Firefly Island is only two copies shy of 2000 sold. I think the book can reach this milestone tonight. Soon I'll be able to snootily brag that Firefly Island has sold "thousands of copies", and technically be correct.

Daniel
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #45
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Congrats!! Well deserved man!! And the song was fantastic too!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy ebooks, fantasy novels, summer reading