Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
For some reason, I've never liked reading on my PC. I find it uncomfortable and awkward. I'd rather read a paper book than an ebook on my PC.
This, because siting in my desk chair while reading a screen is not as relaxing as reading on a sofa or recliner.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Microsoft's Edge browser will open ePubs. No plug-in or special setup required.
Nice suggestion, ZodWallop, I had never tried it before. It shows the epubs in double column page by default. I couldn't find how to adjust the font, their sizes and other things although.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Nice suggestion, ZodWallop, I had never tried it before. It shows the epubs in double column page by default. I couldn't find how to adjust the font, their sizes and other things although.
Yeah, I haven't used Edge's ePub reader since I already have Calibre and Sigil and don't read on my PC. But it is a simple out of the box solution built in to Windows 10.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #19
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This, because siting in my desk chair while reading a screen is not as relaxing as reading on a sofa or recliner.
Apache
I agree, but I do read on a Windows 10 machine, an 8" tablet. On that device, my current favorite is Freda (available from the MS Store), which works very well in a pure touch environment.

Last edited by dwig; 02-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use my 9" Windows tablet, Archos, to read mostly pdfs. Reading them on Kobo or Boox is a horrible experience.
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...is there a better program in the MS Store?
I haven't looked, because I don't read on my PC and if I needed to, Edge would likely be good enough. But there was a thread on here not too long ago about some reader in the Windows Store. I'll go see if I can find it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #22
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Double Column: Edge fills the open window with one or two columns - reduce the width of the window and Edge goes to one column.

Fonts, etc.: Right click in the open window and select "Show or hide toolbar". Gives fonts, text to sound, background color (called "Page theme" with limited choices), bookmarks, contents, etc.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-05-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added "Page theme" note for clarity.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I agree, but I do read on a Windows 10 machine, an 8" tablet. On that device, my current favorite is Freda (available from the MS Store), which works very well in a pure touch environment.
I do too. I read books on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. But this is a tablet and allows me to sit comfortably or recline when I read. I can not do this with my Desktop PC. I could but it would probably be hard to breathe.
Apache
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #24
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
For some reason, I've never liked reading on my PC. I find it uncomfortable and awkward. I'd rather read a paper book than an ebook on my PC.
I don't regularly read on my PC, but I have been "sucked in" when the book opens in Adobe Digital Editions and I haven't moved it to the reader yet. I might look at the first chapter, just to see how it starts...and a few hours later I realize I've read half the book already.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I do too. I read books on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. But this is a tablet and allows me to sit comfortably or recline when I read. I can not do this with my Desktop PC. I could but it would probably be hard to breathe.
Apache
Windows Tablets are PCs and have been for 15 years.
I still have my old TC1000.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-com...tc1000/review/

The current sub $100 ones make pretty good readers.
Battery life doesn't measure up to eink but if you don't mind LCD you get great color and native Calibre ebook management.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #26
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Double Column: Edge fills the open window with one or two columns - reduce the width of the window and Edge goes to one column.

Fonts, etc.: Right click in the open window and select "Show or hide toolbar". Gives fonts, text to sound, background color (called "Page theme" with limited choices), bookmarks, contents, etc.
Very helpful information. Thanks, AnotherCat. After some playing around with the features I found them useful for quick previews of the books without transferring them to my eReaders or even before adding them to my Calibre library. The TTS feature is also appreciable.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Windows Tablets are PCs and have been for 15 years.
I still have my old TC1000.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-com...tc1000/review/

The current sub $100 ones make pretty good readers.
Battery life doesn't measure up to eink but if you don't mind LCD you get great color and native Calibre ebook management.
Yeah, I know they are PC's, especially the Surface Pro. But, I still tend to think desktop when I see or hear PC.
Apache
Old 02-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yeah, I know they are PC's, especially the Surface Pro. But, I still tend to think desktop when I see or hear PC.
Apache
They still have all the usual PC issues of long start-up times, etc. With my iPad, I just grab it, open the cover, touch the fingerprint scanner, and I'm in. Probably 2 or 3 seconds for the whole process. With my Surface Pro it's a case of switching it on and going to make a cup of tea while it boots up!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My Surfrace Pro 2 does not take long enough to make tea before it's booted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just think, Jon, that Windows tablets really bring nothing to the party. The whole point of a tablet for me is "grab and use". If you're going to read on a PC, may as well use a laptop. I only ever use my Surface Pro as a laptop, never as a tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote