Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #91
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I had no problem taking the money from the publishers. It's Apple's money that I don't think I deserve.
Which is kind of silly, given that Apple was a major driving force behind the publishers' crime.

If you really don't want to take Apple's money, just don't touch it for a year and it'll expire. Or else, do something constructive with it, like buy books to donate to libraries, or supplies for a homeless shelter, or something.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #92
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I had no problem taking the money from the publishers. It's Apple's money that I don't think I deserve.
Use the money to buy books for a children's hospital or maybe really needed but seldom donated goods to a food bank, like diapers and personal care goods (shampoo, conditioner, soup, toothpaste, toothbrushes ect...)

There are good things that you can do with it if you don't want to spend it on yourself.

I have no problem spending it on myself. While I am aware that Agency Pricing is legal and existed before this case, Apple worked hard to convince five of the six major Publishers to apply Agency Pricing at the same time in order to try and weaken Amazon's e-book market share and improve Apple's position. The price increases might have happened on their own but they would not have happened as quickly and uniformly without Apple's interference.

Apple had the opportunity to settle and chose not to. Part of their punishment is to provide those who were impacted, readers of e-books for example, with a financial settlement. So I get $148 from Apple to atone for their illegal activities. I am fine with that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #93
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
You can click on the following links to check your settlement amounts at Amazon.com and at Barnes & Noble.
I tried the B&N link and of course I don't know my settlement ID, and apparently neither does B&N. I requested a check instead of a credit back when they asked. Has anyone else tried to get their settlement ID? Here's the response from B&N:

Dear Customer,

The information you entered into the Settlement ID retrieval form does not match our records.

Sincerely,

Barnes & Noble
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #94
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm getting the same thing, using the same email address and name as in the email I received from B&N saying the credit was in the works.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #95
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have my settlement ID, thanks to the emails B&N sent me during the last go-round—but I don't see anywhere on either that page or the non-mobile version to enter the settlement ID, even with ad-blocking turned off. It just says {Settlement ID Lookup} at the top—and no place to type in the actual settlement ID.

I've tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. What am I missing?
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #96
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm getting the same thing, using the same email address and name as in the email I received from B&N saying the credit was in the works.
I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I have my settlement ID, thanks to the emails B&N sent me during the last go-round—but I don't see anywhere on either that page or the non-mobile version to enter the settlement ID, even with ad-blocking turned off. It just says {Settlement ID Lookup} at the top—and no place to type in the actual settlement ID.

I've tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. What am I missing?
That this is B&N, so of course it doesn't work?

I remember when they took over Fictionwise it was a mess.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #97
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I hope I don't get much credit for B&N. I don't like to buy from them anymore.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #98
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That's the way the legal system works. Deserve has little to do with things. If you want to talk deserve, then they should have sent all that money to the people who did the real work, the authors. I'm sure the vast majority both need and deserve it more than me. The people who got the most money out of it (government and lawyers) certainly deserve it a lot less than anyone here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #99
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's why I requested a check. They were restricting my ability to download my books, so I refuse to buy from them anymore.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #100
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
That's why I requested a check. They were restricting my ability to download my books, so I refuse to buy from them anymore.
I used my settlement money on the first couple RWBY Blu-rays. Will probably put this settlement money toward pre-ordering the third.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #101
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
According to the BN eBook Settlement FAQ, if you requested a check, it should go out on 6/23 or 6/24, depending on which FAQ page you believe.

Full FAQ: https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...st/st/5/page/1

Has anyone who requested a check received any email notices? I haven't heard anything from BN at all.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #102
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
My settlement Id was at the top of that email saying that I should get another email in a few days confirming that the credit is in my account.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #103
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
My Amazon credit is a little over three hundred dollars but my Barnes and Noble credit was only 1.57 so I thought I'd begin with that one.

I bought a Nook book yesterday for 1.99 and the confirmation page showed, as expected, that they applied my 1.57 credit and charged my credit card forty-to cents.

Unfortunately, the book hasn't shown up in my library yet. I've just emailed them to see what's happened.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #104
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well, I guess I got my wish: $3.14
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #105
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
I got a credit of $1.57 on B&N.... I Don't have a way to use it either.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote