Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:35 AM   #76
rmgvs
rmgvs began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h20
Yeah, the screen itself hardly can be the cause.

This is how my bezel looks after some cleaning and rubbing the glue and adhesive stips off.

Look okay to me. Could this still be the cause for IR-problems (only pressing it down for testing, so not yet glued again ofcourse).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2016-09-11 at 10.31.47.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	151537   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2016-09-11 at 10.32.06.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	151538  
Old 09-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #77
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your touchscreen problems started even before taking it apart, right?
So that point alone makes a problem with the mainboard more likely...
I don't have anymore ideas here, sorry.
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 04:54 AM   #78
rmgvs

Well, now I'm doubting everything, only making things worse along the way. I've 'cleaned' the surface of the screen with som 'Jif-like' (here in the Netherlands it's called Jif, also used to clean kitchen toppings, I guess very fine sand particles in there for some grinding effect), I did some cleanng of the screen and bezel in the past also ... Nothing strange to see after visual inspection again.

I only will find out when I have a second copy of the H2O and can do some more testing and exchanging.

If anyone of the readers here has a broken H2O: I'm interested and will buy it cheaply for the sake of science haha.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #79
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I guess very fine sand particles in there
Eek!

Only clean with soft stuff. I use a LCD cleaner (brand rogge/ronol) with soft cloth.

The light layer is very sensitive to scratches, if it's damaged in any way once you turn the light on it will glare...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #80
rmgvs

I give up, no more broken Kobo's wanted.

Conclusions sofar:

- I had 2 broken Kobo's to experiment with. Both had (so it appeared) broken screens. I conclude on basis of this small sample that most readers stop working after having been dropped etc and that the screen is the weak spot.
- Nothing can be done about a broken screen by a simple diy'er.
- Only option is buying another new screen at ebay or aliexpress. Prices are somewhere around 50-80 dollars. So: repairing is not an economic sensible option, too expensive, too risky.
- Since the readers have no hardware controls (only the screen) you can't reach the hardware anymore (connection to pc impossible, since you first have to do a tab on the screen to give permission). Besides that is rather useless wanting to control the thing, maybe only to wipe the contents or to reach some ebooks still on the reader?

The readers are not made for repair, just use them and enjoy while it lasts. As long as the screen is okay, you can put in another battery but even then you have to pry open the case and take some risks (and putting out another 25 dollars or so).

Kobo died? Best to buy a secondhand still working copy for around 50-80 dollars.

Agree?
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #81
oldhasbeen
Enthusiast
oldhasbeen doesn't litteroldhasbeen doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Angry I goofed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
I have accidently corrupted my sd card during power consumption measurements.
can you provide me with an image please?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent. But, I'm curious about what you were doing.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:43 AM   #83
oldhasbeen
Enthusiast
oldhasbeen doesn't litteroldhasbeen doesn't litter

Smile I goofed

Quote:
PM sent. But, I'm curious about what you were doing.
Thanks, you are a life saver. I am currently stuffing around with battery drain issues (koreader) and wanted to clone the system sd card. had two card readers and got distracted. Had then the content of the used card on the system card. It was music! Boy I did sing then but certainly no nice songs. Things are good again. Thanks again and greetings from Port Macquarie!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #84
chibudo
chibudo began at the beginning.

Device: KoboAura H20
I also need ,,, thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #85
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #86
chibudo
chibudo began at the beginning.

Device: KoboAura H20
thank you very very much
Old 10-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #87
hharum
hharum began at the beginning.

Quote:
PM sent.
hi davidfor
can I get this image please? Broke my H2O too (trying to put Android on it... which I see now that nobody has done it yet )
Thanks
Old 10-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #89
hharum
hharum began at the beginning.

Thank you so much
Old 10-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #90
bach68
bach68 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi davidfor.