Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
jcunnane1
jcunnane1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Good books about Modernism

I'd appreciate any recommendations of good texts about the modernist movement of the early twentieth century. I have been reading a lot of Joyce and Eliot lately, and I'd appreciate any information about histories or stylistic analyses of the period that you have read and enjoyed.
jcunnane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcunnane1 View Post
I'd appreciate any recommendations of good texts about the modernist movement of the early twentieth century. I have been reading a lot of Joyce and Eliot lately, and I'd appreciate any information about histories or stylistic analyses of the period that you have read and enjoyed.
Cyril Connolly's "Enemies of Promise" (1938) devotes a chapter to The Modern Movement. It's been over 15 years since I read it, but I vaguely remember being very impressed and moved by the book. I'll have to move it to the TBR list again.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
eliot, hemingway, joyce, modernism, twentieth century