Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #286
ShapeShifter499
ShapeShifter499 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Silver
Oh and here are some photos from that. http://imgur.com/a/sDO5W The web browser works alright and so far no major issues.
ShapeShifter499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #287
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since its now shown that a K2 can run 3.4.2, why doesn't Amazon officially release 3.4.2 for the K2? That would get rid of one more Mobi only Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #288
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter499 View Post
Oh and here are some photos from that. http://imgur.com/a/sDO5W The web browser works alright and so far no major issues.
Well, congratulations .
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #289
ShapeShifter499
ShapeShifter499 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Silver
I have a new issue, pretty much the same exact registration issue as @mayofreak, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=271 Although my Kindle 2 was registered on firmware 2.5.8 after the update it seems to have unregistered itself, it no longer shows on my devices list on my Amazon account.

I'll be messing around, maybe trying to compile a kernel or two, or whatever, and I don't really want to have to contact Amazon every time to register the Kindle 2 again. Is there a way to force a registration?

EDIT: I already contacted Amazon twice to register the two used K2I I have. Once for the first time I updated to 3.4.2 and the second time when I had to redo everything. I don't really know how many times I can do that before they block the serial or start asking a lot of questions about registration.

Last edited by ShapeShifter499; 07-15-2017 at 06:50 AM.
ShapeShifter499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #290
sam.vanratt
sam.vanratt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (G)
Hi
I upgraded my DXG as well in a lot of ups & down. Unluckily the registration isn't working as well (Buttons have no function). Thanks to your tip I'll try amazon to register the device (somehow) via chat.
Hope that solves it in my case :-)
sam.vanratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #291
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since its now shown that a K2 can run 3.4.2, why doesn't Amazon officially release 3.4.2 for the K2? That would get rid of one more Mobi only Kindle.
It is probably not possible for them to do that.
Over time, they have used a variety of combinations of in-house and contracted programmers.
And a variety of different build systems.

It isn't that they couldn't recreate the software sources, but that they probably can't duplicate the infrastructure that made it happen.
As in, perhaps there is one or two people who have (had) knowledge that can't be duplicated and they can no longer be reached.

A similar thing happens here, with our add-ins.
An author with some special skills goes away and their add-in can no longer be continued.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #292
sam.vanratt

Hello knc1
that's exactly my experience as well. Afaik the DX(G) Team was already dissolved (moved to other projects) when I bought mine in 2011. I contacted them a few times then (via email) and never got a reply (my accu was empty after a few hours reading without 3G on) on some serious questions, and a better a better MP3 player (mpg123) and/or a usable browser (not so many error messages on lots of sites) and after contacting the generic hotline after some time I was informed that the DXG was not longer developed and I'd "upgrade" to a paperwhite or some other (which of course did not have the resolution or size).
With the persons behind the DX(G) there's nothing solvable but code scraping. I'm happy I could get TLS working, so my long time problem was solved. Still some problems choped in instead: MP3 playing is crackling and the Standby Timer is set to maybe 5 Minutes instead of about 10 before.
Cheers
Sam
Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #293
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon updated their web certificate and you needed to update the firmware in order to register older Kindles. My guess is this firmware is too old to allow registration.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #294
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.vanratt View Post
Hi
I upgraded my DXG as well in a lot of ups & down. Unluckily the registration isn't working as well (Buttons have no function). Thanks to your tip I'll try amazon to register the device (somehow) via chat.
Hope that solves it in my case :-)
You upgraded your DXG to WHAT firmware version?
No one can know how to advise you without that information.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #295
sam.vanratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You upgraded your DXG to WHAT firmware version?
No one can know how to advise you without that information.
Hello KNC1
as we already wrote about it: 3.4.2 (just as the former message told, where I refered&replied to).

The registration is working via Amazon direct (just as the other one quoted).
Cheers
Sam

Last edited by sam.vanratt; 12-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #296
sam.vanratt

Unluckily the version (DXG with V3.4.2/128MB and no swap) I've now is sometimes hard crashing while pdf reading for a few minutes (suddenly...) and as it looks it does a factory reset after a few times to reboot (all settings are lost, like Screen orientation); maybe a watchdog reset function?! It tooks about 3-4 minutes until I'm in the basic menu again.
Is there a debug log where I'd see the modul crashing.
Is there a conf file where the standby timer is configured? The about 4 or 5 minutes is not enough for a full A4 side to read (maybe for the smaller K3 that will fit)
Cheers
Sam
Old 12-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #297
knc1
Going Viral

;dm in the search bar

But what you are seeing is a known problem with that hardware. old, slow, small amount of ram, and no swap installed.
(although somewhere here you can find posted swapon/swapoff built for the DX/DXG)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #298
sam.vanratt

Quote:
;dm in the search bar

But what you are seeing is a known problem with that hardware. old, slow, small amount of ram, and no swap installed.
(although somewhere here you can find posted swapon/swapoff built for the DX/DXG)
Hi KNC1
so it's a real RAM problem? As this happens with nothing loaded but the pdf viewer this seems a "fat upgrade" for the viewer alone. I'd understand with 3G/browser open/started. I'll try with the swapon first (I've had it deactivated because of reports of fsck problems with swapon enabled)
Thanks for the suspend timer info. Is there a list of those commandos?
Cheers
Sam
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #299
knc1
Going Viral

;dm == dump messages
I can't find anyway to spell timer with those letters.

Upper right corner of the page -> search
try whichever list you find, they haven't changed that much over the years.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #300
sam.vanratt

Hello KNC1
I stopped backguessing shortcuts (e.g. the command dd); I just accept them anyway they come :-) (display mode would be my offer)

Quote:
;dm == dump messages
I can't find anyway to spell timer with those letters.

Upper right corner of the page -> search
try whichever list you find, they haven't changed that much over the years.
I'll have to wait until it crashes again (last time I read for about 7hours and couldn't tell when the forced Reboot happened.

I dived a little bit deeper into the system and found the "/etc/powerd.conf.t"
file where the timeout is defined (as far as I'd guess). I'll try it the next days.

What aroused me was: I dumped the complete 4GB filesystem via JTAG and did a scan on the inodes. I found that in my one there's still the info what files and filetypes where used for testing the system (I guess), as I found a lot of music files (e.g. "브라운아이즈(BrownEyes)_2집_06. 사랑 (I wanna fall in love with you).mp3" or "Johan Pachelbel [캐논변주곡] - 04.마림바.mp3" or "07.스치다_Interlude.wma"), a few encryption files and regulations "수명시험2).zip" and other stuff.

What wondered me was that it is in korean (afaik): was the kindle developed there or by a korean Amazon employee?

Cheers
Sam