Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #361
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
Actually, make that 6 Pocketbook devices in my household, I forgot to count in my kids'.
joepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #362
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Any prognostications as to:

A. whether we will see anymore software updates for the 840?

B. whether we will see a new model 840 with an updated (somewhat faster processor) and (oh, please let it happen) a slightly larger power button?
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #363
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Any prognostications as to:

A. whether we will see anymore software updates for the 840?

B. whether we will see a new model 840 with an updated (somewhat faster processor) and (oh, please let it happen) a slightly larger power button?
I'll wager a guess: Maybe 1 more update, 2 if we're lucky.
An updated model will probably appear sometime in the near future. Maybe a couple of years? I won't be investing for a couple of years, as the current 840 works fine, I'll keep it for another 4 or 5 years.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #364
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

FYI to all 840er's!

I very recently sent a query to Pocketbook asking about both a software update and a hardware update. The info below in quotes actually reflects a complete reading of my email and and equally thorough reply. I did request permission to disclose the response but heard nothing back. Since the response is not disclosing any corporate secrets, I elected to follow our British law roots where "silence means consent" (loosely interpreted). My hardware query mentioned the need for a larger power button, a faster processor, and the possibility of going to an 8.9 inch screen. Hopefully the schedule will be kept but that is all to unpredictable.

"Thank you for your questions.

We are planning a new software version for Pocketbook InkPad within the upcoming summer.

Also, we are planning a new 8'' screen model with a large power button and hardware enhancements within 2016.

No models with an 8,9'' has been planned for 2016."
Old 06-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #365
wirtold
wirtold began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad 840, InkPad 740
Very good news!

I like 5.11 but there are some problems: handling graphics in pdfs (especially graphics intensive pdfs), and wifi connection - sometimes connects ok, sometimes not. Also some other glitches but not as troublesome as these two.
wirtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #366
joepie
Zealot

Hi p38Lightning,

That is good news, I love Pocketbook for being active with larger readers. The new model seems better, but still similar to the 840. So that means that new firmware will probably work on both models. So maybe there is some more support for these 8 inch models.

Thanks for asking and sharing
Old 06-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #367
p38lightning
Zealot

You are welcome and I am pleased that PB is so forthcoming with specifics when asked politely!

Will be interesting to see what the "enhancements" are other than a faster processor?

Other than the cracked screen issue on my first unit, I have had no issues or problems with either my first or current one.

For my use (I use it ONLY as a reader) I sideload all my books, do not use the wifi except for updates (can d/l those from the PB site when available), and consequently do not use the browser. I am more than happy with that arrangement and the 8 inch screen.

Still think that my Nook HD+ 8.9 inch screen was the real "sweetspot" and certainly would not object to seeing something from 8.5-8.9 inches in an up-to-date e-ink screen.

With that being said, I can certainly continue surviving quite well with the 8 inch!

PS: If PB were to move to Android, about the only thing I would do would be to add the Prestigio ereader app which I use on my LG G3 phone and my LG gPad 8.3 and would still basically limit it to ereader usage and remain quite content.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #368
bassgut
bassgut began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad
I just got this device, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is a novice and and wants an easy to use ebook reader.
The screen size is useful and you get many useful features (like the music player) but there appears to be a lack of documentation in how to fix problems or re download original applications, so the end result is nothing but frustration and a headache.
bassgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #369
joepie
Zealot

Hi bassgut, I guess you're right up to a point. All the Pocketbook readers are very basic IMO, the support site is ok. So if you're looking for information, I think you could check over there. You will find information about installing upgrades or downgrades for firmware etc.

It isn't very difficult, my children can use it. And if you have questions, you can always ask here.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #370
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hi
my friend is considering buying pocketbook inkpad , but we are not sure that this device could open the books in other languages , such as persian , i wanted to know if anyone has information about it .
thanks -.
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #371
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you want you can send me such an ebook and I'll test it with my PB Touch Lux 3 and post screenshots.
I see that InkPad has FW5.11 which is almost the same as FW5.12, which I have.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #372
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
If you want you can send me such an ebook and I'll test it with my PB Touch Lux 3 and post screenshots.
I see that InkPad has FW5.11 which is almost the same as FW5.12, which I have.
that would be too great , andi will be very thankfull .

Code:
http://speedy.sh/9m58m/eghtesad.pdf
Code:
http://speedy.sh/Afxqf/engineeringeconomybook.pdf
Code:
http://speedy.sh/K7zF7/alefba1.pdf
thanks a lot .
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #373
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnm3bdql3...x71qzGuJa?dl=0
You've got there 2 screenshots from each ebook and one of the home screen.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #374
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bnm3bdql3...x71qzGuJa?dl=0
You've got there 2 screenshots from each ebook and one of the home screen.
thanks a lot .
everything is great , are the rendering engines same ( your device and pocketbook inkpad ) ?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #375
brucelee
Addict

As far as I know it's not device dependent. Both devices should use the same app to render PDFs.
Only firmware drivers and stuff like that should be different.
Maybe someone owning an InkPad could test them too.