Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil error - Cannot read file / Permission denied

When I try to open certain (non-DRM) ePub files that I have downloaded, Sigil gives me the following error:

Cannot read file
/Users/[username]/.Sigil/scratchpad/.[alphanumeric string]/META-INF/container.xml:
Permission denied.

If I open the same ePub in Stanza and just do a Save As as another ePub file, then open that document in Sigil, I do not get the error.

Anyone have experience with this?

Sigil 0.1.8

MacOS X 10.5.8

Last edited by dgraygrayco; 01-12-2010 at 04:47 PM.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraygrayco View Post
If I open the same ePub in Stanza and just do a Save As as another ePub file, then open that document in Sigil, I do not get the error.
Than that is clearly a problem with the original epub file. After you saved it to a different file, Sigil can open it.

The original epub probably has some weird permissions set on the files inside.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Than that is clearly a problem with the original epub file. After you saved it to a different file, Sigil can open it.

The original epub probably has some weird permissions set on the files inside.
Makes sense. But why do I not have a problem opening those epub files in other apps, such as PDFXML Inspector?
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I have seen something like this. Valloric, do you require your content folder to be named "OEBPS" or can content.xml point to a differently named folder?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraygrayco View Post
Makes sense. But why do I not have a problem opening those epub files in other apps, such as PDFXML Inspector?
I couldn't tell you. Sigil extracts the epub files to a path similar to the one you listed, and then opens the extracted files. The ZipArchive library that Sigil uses for extraction respects the file permissions set on the files in the epub archive. Maybe the other applications don't, I don't know.

But where did you get those epub files and do other epub files work correctly on your system? Try opening this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have seen something like this. Valloric, do you require your content folder to be named "OEBPS" or can content.xml point to a differently named folder?
--MH
There is no requirement for the OEBPS folder in the epubs that Sigil can open. Sigil follows the epub specification: it reads content.xml, finds the OPF and loads the content files listed in its manifest.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert