Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Why in the hell doesn't Calibre support proper alphabetization after all these years?

5-6 years ago I asked how to get Calibre to import books to my Kindle and have them sort and display the author name properly, and the answer was to populate the Author Sort field, select "Use author sort for author" and reconvert *all* my books that I sideload with Calibre, and then remember to manually do the same to every book I want to add thereafter. Not only is this irritating and unintuitive, it appears that this no longer works, as I have been assiduously converting all my books in this way but when I upload them to my new Kindle Paperwhite (latest gen) they all still sort by author's first name.

NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SORTS THIS WAY KOVID.

My books that I bought from Amazon all sort by last name as I would expect.

Why doesn't this solution work any more? What am I supposed to do now? Is it any more convoluted? Is there another product I should be using if I want this basic functionality to work consistently?

Last edited by guspasho; 04-25-2018 at 06:29 PM.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
5-6 years ago I asked how to get Calibre to import books to my Kindle and have them sort and display the author name properly, and the answer was to populate the Author Sort field, select "Use author sort for author" and reconvert *all* my books that I sideload with Calibre, and then remember to manually do the same to every book I want to add thereafter. Not only is this irritating and unintuitive, it appears that this no longer works, as I have been assiduously converting all my books in this way but when I upload them to my new Kindle Paperwhite (latest gen) they all still sort by author's first name.

NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SORTS THIS WAY DAVID.

My books that I bought from Amazon all sort by first name. Again. Why has this solution failed? What am I supposed to do now? Is it any more convoluted? Is there another product I should be using if I want this basic functionality to work consistently?
GIGO

Fix your meta data then make sure the tweaks in calibre are set as you perfer.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-04-25 16-58-14.png
Views:	260
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	163657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-04-25 16-58-37.png
Views:	224
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	163658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-04-25 16-41-49.png
Views:	206
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	163661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-04-25 16-42-39.png
Views:	197
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	163662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-04-25 16-44-25.png
Views:	259
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	163663  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not sure WHO David is and why you expect him to give a damn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
guspasho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
GIGO

Fix your meta data then make sure the tweaks in calibre are set as you perfer.

bernie
My metadata is fixed. I've been maintaining it for years. What do you mean? What does GIGO mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not sure WHO David is and why you expect him to give a damn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Kovid, the developer for Calibre. My bad.

Last edited by guspasho; 04-25-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
All I know is that dumber people than us have figured it out.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
When you use calibre to send books to your Kindle via USB the metadata in those books is updated to match what is currently in your calibre library. The default setting of "use author sort for author" set for MOBI format in Preferences -> Output Options -> MOBI output controls whether Author or Author Sort is used at that time. There is no need to re-convert.

(Note that the setting for MOBI output is used even if the book is in AZW3 format.)

--------

Kindles sort by whatever is in the author field of the copy of the book on the device, but will unwrap a name containing a comma for display purposes. For example:

"Smith, John" sorts by "S" and displays as "John Smith"

If the author field is instead set to "John Smith" it will sort by "J", but still display as "John Smith".

Last edited by jhowell; 04-25-2018 at 06:39 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
guspasho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When you use calibre to send books to your Kindle via USB the metadata in those books is updated to match what is currently in your calibre library. The default setting of "use author sort for author" set for MOBI format in Preferences -> Output Options -> MOBI output controls whether Author or Author Sort is used at that time. There is no need to re-convert.

(Note that the setting for MOBI output is used even if the book is in AZW3 format.)
It doesn't do this at all. Not even when I delete the books on the Kindle and sideload them again. It used to, but now my Kindle ignores author sort, whether I convert or not. This is the problem I'm having.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is there perhaps a plugboard (mis)configured that you've forgotten about which is interfering?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post

NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SORTS THIS WAY KOVID.
NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND YELLS AT PEOPLE THEY ARE EXPECTING TO GET HELP FROM.

What happens when you do that, is they refuse to help you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Five to six years calibre experience and still not able to utilize the tool. Can happen. Starting a post with blaming is ... not really intelligent.

Most people I know will usually master this during the first weeks e-reader experience.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote