Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2023, 05:19 AM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
On dark mode, does the Sage flash on every page turn?

I'm interested in buying the Kobo Sage and using dark mode for nighttime reading, but I've seen on some ereaders that when you turn each page, the refresh is bright, so you get this jarring flash.

Is this the case? And if so, is it annoying?

In general, how is the dark mode in your experience? Do you have an Onyx or Kindle you can compare to, regarding the dark mode?

Thanks
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On my Sage, I don't notice the refresh flash at chapter transitions as being that annoying when in dark mode.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:23 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
All the latest Kobo devices (e.g., Libra 2, Clara 2E, Sage, Elipsa) feature nigtmode-specific waveform modes (i.e., it ghosts less, and it handles flashes in a slightly less terrible fashion). It's still crap, but it's the least crappy you can get .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
On onyx I turn off the flash and do a refresh manually when the ghosting is too much.
Maybe try koreader?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:54 AM   #5
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
On onyx I turn off the flash and do a refresh manually when the ghosting is too much.
Maybe try koreader?
Would that make a difference? I thought it was the hardware, that that's the way e-ink refreshes? I will try, thanks.

Anyway, I gather that it is what it is, as NiLuJe said. I do wonder if Kindle got it better, but Kindle don't have a device with an 8 inch screen anyway, and Kindle annoys me in many other ways. I'll go with the Kobo Sage.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
All the latest Kobo devices (e.g., Libra 2, Clara 2E, Sage, Elipsa) feature nigtmode-specific waveform modes (i.e., it ghosts less, and it handles flashes in a slightly less terrible fashion). It's still crap, but it's the least crappy you can get .

I was using dark mode on a rooted nook gl3 and there was very little flash or ghosting. My old onyx nova is much worse ghosting but manageable as I can refresh manually. So this concurs with your comment.

No idea about kobo, but I've heard no complaints and I've a friend that uses night mode on a libra 2. The Libra 2 is super popular.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To my knowledge, the only devices that attempted to minimally deal with the flashing in nightmode issues *before* true eclipse waveforms were a thing were REAGL Kindles (i.e., PW2+), since FW 5.6.x. The caveat being they did not natively support nightmode at the time, so this only really mattered in KOReader .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-19-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you need to do full refreshes more often in dark mode? I have my Libra set to refresh every 64 pages, so I almost never see a flash unless I use the dictionary. I don't use dark mode, though.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #9
Indigo121
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Do you need to do full refreshes more often in dark mode? I have my Libra set to refresh every 64 pages, so I almost never see a flash unless I use the dictionary. I don't use dark mode, though.
By refresh I mean just turning the page. I didn't mean a full refresh. Apologies for not being clear.

I just ordered the Kobo Sage and looking forward to try it out.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:12 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It depends. Dark mode results in an awful lot of ghosting on devices without proper waveform modes, and the usual recommendation to clear ghosting is more flashes... but flashes are also awful in dark mode on those devices (except for the Kindle range I described above, iff you're using KOReader).

So, you're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place on those devices, unless you like ghosting or annoying stuttery blinding flashes ;o).
Old 03-20-2023, 06:38 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I use dark mode on a Forma and I don't notice ghosting or flashes during page turns. There is excessive flashing on chapter transitions. When I use dark mode, I'm reading in close to completely dark environment.

There probably is ghosting, but I don't notice it. I'm just reading text/fiction.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:41 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There is excessive flashing on chapter transitions
To be perfectly clear: When I say "flashes", I am, and always have been, talking about the explicit flashing refreshes (i.e., what you set in your Reading Settings), which probably defaults to "every chapter" on a Forma (another popular default setting is every 6 pages).

And, yeah, those are awful in nightmode when unsupported, they feel like a kind of stuttery double blinding flash, it's weird and extremely irritating. That's what I've been talking about in this thread.

Non-flashing refreshes (i.e., the vast majority of them) will just ghost more (because standard waveform modes are explicitly tweaked for black on white), there's no other extra weirdness associated to nightmode there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There probably is ghosting, but I don't notice it.
There definitely is, and you definitely don't and/or it doesn't bother you (which is a perfectly valid assessment, mind you. *I* happen to hate it with a fiery passion, but that's me).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-20-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

There definitely is, and you definitely don't and/or it doesn't bother you (which is a perfectly valid assessment, mind you. *I* happen to hate it with a fiery passion, but that's me).
We all have different thresholds. I remember it being much worse in early eink readers.

I don't like to compare ebooks to pbooks, but ... looking at a couple of pbooks, the bleed through from next/previous pages on pbooks looks worse then ghosting on ebooks, to me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote